PDA

View Full Version : EI-DWO - Prang at BHD?

ground_star
21st Aug 2009, 19:32
Just wondering if anybody knew anything about what was up with Ryanairs EI-DWO @ BHD late this afternoon - rumour was aircraft v vehicle.

Only curious :)

captjns
21st Aug 2009, 19:40
rumour was aircraft v vehicle.

Please decode?

captplaystation
21st Aug 2009, 19:51
Think he means aforesaid airframe was clouted by a vehicle, or clouted a vehicle, seems simple enough to me, but I don't have the answer to the Q.

ground_star
21st Aug 2009, 20:55
Affirmative - "clouting" of aircraft by a vehicle is what is on the grapevine.

Rob82
21st Aug 2009, 21:00
The rumour is correct.

Vehicle drove into the airframe, haven't got any details on damage but it was parked on the far side of the airport.

nwid
21st Aug 2009, 21:56
My first thought was "Is this a new destination - London Berry Head?", but I have looked BHD up and now know where you are talking about!

captplaystation
21st Aug 2009, 22:09
For chri¡ssakes don't give them any ideas as regards "new" versions of cities . . . . anyways,what's so unusual about a ramp-rat hitting an aircraft to warrant a thread ? ? really a non-event . . . as long as he fesses up and his management has the common sense to call him a tw@t instead of sacking him (which is a Rea a a a ally bad idea from a flight safety point of view . . . even if he was a TOTAL tw@t )

ground_star
21st Aug 2009, 22:48
Cheers folks - nothing "unusual" about the incident I know, it was really pure curiosity to see if the rumour had any truth.

Should imagine the aircraft will be back in the air again after an inspection & possibly a bit of TLC anyway :)

"London Berry Head" ?? haha - is that like the new name of "London Oxford" then?! :p

non iron
22nd Aug 2009, 01:01
l admire your balls for not telling Captjns to poke his attitude problem.

Good on yer.

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Aug 2009, 11:25
Well, BHD does mean Berry Head and nothing else to 90% of European aviators.

I too find this use of 3 letter codes irritating because it is not one widely used outside ticketing and check-in, and is not something a pilot would know unless he operated to that particular destination, which makes it's use not just confusing and irritating, but rather smug too. We do, after all, tend to use 4 letter ICAO codes far, far more widely as pilots, and not all of us know all of them.

Rob82
22nd Aug 2009, 12:02
Was that not a BMI aircraft? On the far side that is. Not to say that both aircraft had been over the other side at some point, who knows..

The BMI was over there in the morning / early afternoon sorting tech problems and then the ryanair was over there later in the afternoon.

Skipness One Echo
22nd Aug 2009, 15:05
I too find this use of 3 letter codes irritating because it is not one widely used outside ticketing and check-in, and is not something a pilot would know unless he operated to that particular destination, which makes it's use not just confusing and irritating, but rather smug too. We do, after all, tend to use 4 letter ICAO codes far, far more widely as pilots, and not all of us know all of them.

This is the spotters corner where the three digit codes are better know as we tend to fly as passengers more. If you're struggling the simple " xxx ICAO" in google is your friend to make the question into an answer remarkably quickly. In that split second that it takes to do that, you have learned something new, albeit minor.....

nwid
23rd Aug 2009, 00:36
I have flown aircraft built there, and flown from there, but still had to look it up! It will always be Sydenham to me.
Anyway, how do they get BHD? Some 3-letter identifiers are logical (BFS) and others are bit vague. The H could come from Harbour, but the D beats me.

Northern Hero
24th Aug 2009, 15:13
BHD = Belfast Harbour Dock