PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways baggage help

Flock1
21st Aug 2009, 14:26
Hi,

My wife and I are flying to Doha on Wednesday to start our new jobs in Qatar. We've already shipped out loads of stuff, but are now stuck with only 20kg each of checked in baggage.

So my question in this: How strict are the check in staff at Manchester about this limit? And how stringers are the checks on hand-held luggage? I can't face the prospect of wearing multiple layers, with my pockets stuffed full of heavy things!

Regards

Flock1

raffele
21st Aug 2009, 17:00
All check in staff are pretty strict with checked limits. After all - any opportunity to make a bit more money...

Carry on limits tend not to be monitored too closely (unless flying Ryanair) and the website says you have 7kg at your disposal which is not too bad. As long as your carry on is the right size and doesn't look too heavy you should get away with putting a fair amount in it!

Flock1
23rd Aug 2009, 13:48
Cheers for that.

What about this scenario:

My wife and I turn up at the check in desk. We get our hold luggage weighed and they pass fine. The check in agent asks us how much hand luggage and I say one plus a laptop. My laptop is full of power leads as well as a lap top. My wife has a small suitcase suitable as hand luggage and a shoulder bag with things like books, her small laptop and forms etc. We are flying economy. Will we get through do you reckon?

raffele
23rd Aug 2009, 17:45
The answer to that question is to check the airline's website to see how much carry on they permit you to take!

Edit: just checked myself - you're permitted a single item of carry on only

Checked Baggage & Carry-on Guide | Qatar Airways (http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.html)

Der absolute Hammer
23rd Aug 2009, 18:07
In my flying experience, Qatari ground staff-if they are female and Qatari, - unlike most other female Arabs, are the nastiest bits of ground staff I have ever met. This unpleasant attitude is only then equalled by the cabin crews of female Qatari stock. The Malays who work for the airline seem delightful but persecuted. The airline should be taken to the Court of Human Rights for assessment perhaps.
I hope your new employer will not ask you to hand in your passports for some procedural reson. I would check with the Embassy before you did that.
Sorry for the rant and I hope it works good for you. I just have no good feelings for that company with whom I have flown many times, in all classes simply becasue they have been the most convenient one going where I want to go. But they do not respect the human dignity of others that I have seen also flying with that airline..