PDA

View Full Version : 504 (RAuxAF) Sqn photo question

Boxer42
21st Aug 2009, 14:24
I am in the process of getting a photograph framed depicting 504 at Hucknall in 1938. My wifes grandad served with 504 at this time and he is on it.

I would like to annotate the image correctly and the only note that goes with it states "AOC inspection at Hucknall". Could anyone tell me who the AOC would have been and what date this may have happened.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Warmtoast
21st Aug 2009, 21:17
12 Group RAF was the Group responsible for units based in the Midlands, which would I assume include 504 County of Nottingham squadron at Hucknall.

In 1938 the AOC of 12 Group was Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, so I guess he's the man you're looking for.

See his entry in Wiki here:
Trafford Leigh-Mallory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafford_Leigh-Mallory)

Tankertrashnav
22nd Aug 2009, 16:27
Small detail to add to Warmtoast's reply, but I thought that ACM seemed too high a rank for an AOC. According to Wiki Leigh-Mallory took over 12 Group as an Air Commodore and was promoted Air Vice Marshal late in 1938. What rank you give him depends on when the photo was taken, ie the date of the inspection. If the photo is clear it ought to be easy enough to determine his rank from his sleeve.

Boxer42
24th Aug 2009, 12:14
Thanks for the responses chaps, gives me something to work on. I'll have a look to see if I can make out the rank on his sleeve.

Cheers.