PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a Ryanair Flight

Put1992
21st Aug 2009, 14:08
Hi,

I can no longer make a flight with ryanair next week. I can't seem to find anything online about cancelling the flight online, and I highly doubt with ryanair, that I qualify for a refund, so is it ok to just not turn up for the flight without letting them know?

Malone
21st Aug 2009, 14:37
I wouldn't have thought that they would give a :mad: whether you turn up or not, they have had your money! That is all they care about after all!!

Seat62K
21st Aug 2009, 14:41
I've never found a way to cancel a Ryanair flight.

I even tried to explain once at the airport that the second person on my booking would not be travelling: the Ryanair staff were not interested in the possibility of selling the seat to someone else.

As Ryanair reports tickets sold and not actual passengers carried this seems to make some sense.

So, to answer your question, if you don't intend travelling you need do nothing (unless, that is, you want a refund........). If it's the latter, let us know how you get on (blood from stones and all that)!

Capetonian
21st Aug 2009, 15:03
It's a pretty shabby approach, although this is what one would expect from Ryanair.

First of all there might be someone desperate (jokes aside!) to get on that flight, who would be glad of the seat, and secondly FR could resell it and make more moolah. It's also not very ecological to fly around empty seats although I suppose that's irrelevant in this case.

mrmrsmith
21st Aug 2009, 15:25
as written on the Ryanair web site, to find type refund in the search on there site
Quote"Can I apply for a refund for my unused flight?

All Ryanair fares are fully changeable flight/dates/times/routes and names (up to 4 hours prior to original flight departure) however fares, fees or charges are non-refundable. Government taxes are the only portion of taxes, fees and charges which are refundable. Government tax refunds are subject to an administration fee of £16, which is half BA's admin fee of £30 and significantly lower than BMI's £25 or Easyjet's £17.50. If the refund amount due to the customer is less than the applicable refund administration charge then no refund will be made. Government tax refund requests must be made within one month from the booked travel date." Unquote

raffele
21st Aug 2009, 16:55
I believe it's near impossible to cancel a flight on Ryanair.

I think the only way to do it is ring their 0871 number (check SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers (http://www.saynoto0870.com) for a geographic number to save you the 10p a minute). Depending on the fare will depend if you get any refund on that part. Government taxes should be refunded if, as mentioned above, the total refund due to you is greater than their 'admin charge'.

To be honest it's probably easier for you to simply write the expense off.

A2QFI
23rd Aug 2009, 08:07
As a name change is £100 (How Much?) you can't pass the ticket on and this figure gives you a clue as to what the charge for a refund might be!

Avitor
23rd Aug 2009, 08:43
Their system is set up so that it is cheaper for you to write it off.....which is what I would unhesitatingly do.

<and bear that in mind when planning your next trip>

apaul
23rd Aug 2009, 11:29
mrmrsmith, I would not believe everything you read on Ryanair's website. Easyjet will refund the government taxes without an administration charge, unlike 'the world's favourite airline'.

Seat62K
23rd Aug 2009, 12:43
This is true, but they don't make it easy (no pun intended) for one to find out how to do this (I could find nothing on Frequently Asked Questions, for example).

On the other hand, many of my Ryanair flights cost less than the UK APD....