PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance for Military Personel

kstandnomore
21st Aug 2009, 13:21
Does anybody know of any good/competative travel insurance that will cover your holidays if they are cancelled for operational reasons, as this looks more amd more likely for people these days? Thanks in advance.

Wrathmonk
21st Aug 2009, 13:44
As much as people knock them I use PAX Travel Insurance (www.paxinsurance.com (http://www.paxinsurance.com)). I pay approx £120 for a years insurance that covers the entire family (2+2) regardless of whether we are travelling together or seperately (good for kids school trips!). It clearly covers for leave cancellation under "if your leave is cancelled provided at the time your holiday/journey was booked, you had received confirmation from your Office in Charge that your leave request had been granted and there was no reason why your leave should be cancelled etc etc [it goes on!]".

Needless to say I had a trouble free claim when Telic kicked off in 2003. And again in Cyprus last year it dealt with unexpected medical expenses (over and above the EHIC agreement) without question or hassle.

Do read the exclusions carefully as it won't cover you for travelling to AFG - it is purely holiday cover and not a replacement for kit insurance. May seem obvious but you never know!

There are doubtless loads of other insurance companies that provide similar, or maybe better, deals but the one thing with PAX is they understand (?) the military and the way it operates. A lot of High Street companies don't.

Hitting submit, hoping I've not fallen for a one-post troll (with apologies if you're not!;))

liedtoagain
21st Aug 2009, 13:52
Have a look at JBI:

Insurance for Armed Forces, International Schools and Teachers, Expatriates and UK Residents (http://www.jbionline.com/)

I had to claim and they were very good indeed. :)

Mick Strigg
21st Aug 2009, 14:41
Believe it or not, TESCO Travel Insurance covers this as well.................and it's cheap!

Wrathmonk
21st Aug 2009, 15:01
Mick

Good on them (and I'm ready to take back my comments on High Street sellers) although I am amazed - they wouldn't touch military in their life insurance dept just a few years ago. I appreciate the risks are slightly different but they still work under the same broker.

Looking at their T&C's I wonder what they define as 'unexpected emergency duty' and whether with detachments such as AFG now "routine" whether that is considered an "anticipated event" and therefore excluded from the cover. The cynic in me suggests that gives them lots of wiggle room!

heights good
23rd Aug 2009, 16:59
Despite what blunties will have you believe, you DON'T need travel insurance.

If your holiday is cancelled due to work reasons then you are entitled to your money back minus whatever a quote from NAAFI insurance would cost. It's all in JSP 752. A lot of blunties spout this as being fact without reading their own JSP :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

HG

Pontius Navigator
23rd Aug 2009, 17:08
Have a look at Trinity, I have been with them for years and always had a good deal. They are in the discount booklet.

Twon
23rd Aug 2009, 19:39
Heights Good,

Be careful of offering poor advice; whilst you are correct to some extent regarding cancellation expenses, the MOD will not be funding any medical care if you have an accident on holiday or the cancellation for any other members of the family (they could still go!). Travel insurance covers more than just cancellation expenses.

T

Pontius Navigator
23rd Aug 2009, 19:54
IIRC an off-duty accident claim may not be covered by the Service either, for instance an RTA in Cyprus when you are off-duty or a sporting injury when the event was not an official military event.

You may have been treated in the past and even now but with the ubiquitous RAC they are always looking to get money back.

AYTCH
23rd Aug 2009, 23:12
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer given only moments ago! Pax!! Agree, they get bad press but I have used them for several years now and they were as cheap as anyone but always covered the unusual Forces bits that most high street insurers will not! Further, I have now left the mob and they still cover the family at no extra (or indeed less) than they did and even though I now live overseas, they accepted that and did not quibble and have maintained my family's cover even though now ordinarily non-resident in Blighty. Very good as far as I can see (oh yes, made a claim a couple of years ago and was sorted and paid out with no hassle and speedily too). Well worth your consideration.