PDA

View Full Version : Lunascape 5.

parabellum
21st Aug 2009, 00:25
Just wondering if anyone has tried this new browser yet? It is called Lunascape 5 and is a free download from here:

Lunascape Web Browser - The World's First Hybrid Engine Browser (http://www.lunascape.tv/)

A news letter I subscribe to says this:

BEST SOFTWARE

New browser combines best of three worlds
http://windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/Ian-Gizmo-Richards-1.jpg By Ian "Gizmo" Richards

You no longer have to choose between Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome as your browser of choice.

A new contender in the increasingly crowded field combines all three engines behind one easily customizable interface.

It's what's beneath the hood that counts

If you want to start a heated discussion among a group of computer enthusiasts, just ask them, "What's the best Web browser?" Among the Firefox supporters, Opera freaks, Chrome devotees, Safari adherents, and even the occasional Internet Explorer advocate, you're bound to be sternly lectured as to why their particular browser favorite is the best.

However, this argument may be history. There's a new browser in town that combines the engines from all the major browsers into a single, easy-to-use package.

This all-in-one browser is called Lunascape — an appropriate name, because it has arisen out of the blue. It originated in Japan, where it has a substantial following and sizable installed base.

Lunascape may be downloaded from the vendor's site (http://windowssecrets.com/links/qdlichm8dr5pd/422d72h/?url=www.lunascape.tv%2F). The initial download is 8.42MB, plus additional downloads for the Gecko and WebKit engines, if required.

To understand Lunascape's significance, it's necessary to consider how browsers are constructed. Underneath the hood of your car is the engine. Regardless of what your car looks like on the outside, it's the engine that largely determines the vehicle's performance.

It's the same with browsers. Every browser has an engine that handles screen rendering and other key browser functions. The engine for Firefox is Gecko. Safari uses WebKit, Opera uses Presto, and Internet Explorer uses Trident.

The recently released Google Chrome browser also uses WebKit, as does Safari. That should alert you to the fact that different-looking browsers can share the same engine in much the same way different cars can have unique exterior and interior designs while using the same engine.

Each browser engine has its strengths and weaknesses. Indeed, much of the discussion about browser performance really comes down to differences in the engines used by those browsers.

Browser lets you switch among three engines

The idea behind the Lunascape browser is to incorporate several major browser engines and let users swap among these engines, based on the tasks at hand.

The three supported engines are Internet Explorer's Trident, Firefox's Gecko, and WebKit — which is used by Safari and Chrome. You could use Trident for browsing sites that work well only with Internet Explorer, Gecko for pages where JavaScript speed is important, and WebKit for sites that have a lot of images.

This kind of optimization is easy with Lunascape, because it can be configured to open a different engine for specified sites. Indeed, you can have multiple tabs open, each using a different browser engine.

Swapping engines in Lunascape is easy: Just right-click a tab and select the engine you want.

Not only can you swap engines, you can also easily change the look and feel of the browser. If you like the Internet Explorer 8 look, you can configure Lunascape to look somewhat the same — though not identical. Similarly, you can choose a Firefox or Safari look, if you wish. (See Figure 1.)

http://download.windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/W20090820-Lunascape1.jpg
http://download.windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/W20090820-Lunascape2.jpg
http://download.windowssecrets.com/images/wsn/W20090820-Lunascape3.jpg
Figure 1. Lunascape's interface options include Simple (top), Silver (middle), and Cool (bottom).

In fact, Lunascape is so amazingly configurable that it's a tweaker's delight.

Looks aside, what's the browser like to use?

First, let me say that when I'm running the WebKit engine, the Lunascape browser is genuinely fast. The Lunascape site claims the product runs JavaScript faster than Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, or Firefox. I can't confirm this, but I can say that the product has the same zippy feel when browsing as Google Chrome does.

Second, Lunascape will import your Firefox bookmarks and/or Internet Explorer favorites. That's a handy feature.

Third, you can use Internet Explorer add-ons with the product, although Lunascape doesn't support Firefox add-ons. Lunascape also supports a number of its own plug-ins (but at present, most of these have menus only in Japanese).

Fourth, I found the product stable. I tested the latest version, 5.1.4, over a three-day period, and the browser didn't crash once. That's a big advance on the alpha version I tested late last year, which crashed with regularity of a ticking metronome.

On the downside, I found the interface somewhat cluttered compared to other modern browsers. Some would say that's because Lunascape offers more features. Maybe so, but to my eye, it's still cluttered.

The program's biggest negative for me is the inability to use my Firefox add-ons. It's the same problem I have with Safari and Chrome: both are great browsers, but I'm not prepared to live without the productivity provided by my Firefox extensions.

The three types of users who'll love this app

Three groups of people will benefit the most from using Lunascape:

For webmasters and HTML developers who want to see how their sites look in different browsers, Lunascape offers a really simple way of doing so. You could have the same site open in three tabs, each using a different rendering engine.
Advanced users can maximize their browsing performance on sites that employ varying technologies.
Hardcore tweakers will be able to totally customize the browser to meet their needs. Lunascape is a twiddler's dream and is the most configurable browser I've ever used.Most average users will find Lunascape little more than a curiosity. Still, the browser looks rather cool, and the next time someone asks you what browser you use, you can answer, "I don't use any of the three common browsers — I use a browser that combines the best features of all three." (Mind you, that's what Opera users have been saying for years!)

Also, has anyone found an Ad Blocker that works on this browser please?

parabellum
25th Aug 2009, 05:35
97 views so far, anyone have any comments to offer? I find it quite quick but am yet to find an ad blocker that works in PPRuNe.

Most interesting to me would be negative aspects discovered and any security issues.

green granite
25th Aug 2009, 07:04
I think this comment of the reviewer sums it up, for me anyway

"The program's biggest negative for me is the inability to use my Firefox add-ons. It's the same problem I have with Safari and Chrome: both are great browsers, but I'm not prepared to live without the productivity provided by my Firefox extensions."

And it doesn't really do anything that FireFox can't, having said that I will download it at some stage today and try it.

green granite
25th Aug 2009, 14:57
Right, used it for a couple of hours so far and it seems very good, and very quick, but lack of add ons rather spoil it for me.

parabellum
25th Aug 2009, 23:41
Thanks GG, appreciated, I'm just a 'user' with little tech. knowledge of computers.

green granite
26th Aug 2009, 06:36
I'm sure that others will find holes in it, but I'm finding it very good as a basic browser providing you don't mind scripts:ok: and adverts running.