PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead/Emergency exit seats

legallooptheloop
20th Aug 2009, 23:54
I'm flying to India on Jet airways soon. I've managed to secure a bulkhead/emergency exit seat in advance (in economy) on the 773 aircraft that is operating the flight. I have a couple of questions -

1. Will the AVOD screen be in my arm rest and is this a pain to use?

2. Is it particularly cold near the exits? I had a friend tell me this recently and I don't fancy freezing for several hours while trying to sleep.

3. Any other drawbacks to this seat? It's near the toilets so will smell be a factor? I've rarely, if ever, sat neat the toilets on long-haul so this has me a little concerned.

I'll be doing the journey a few times in the coming months and just would like to know in advance what is best to aim for/avoid.

Many Thanks.

Load Toad
21st Aug 2009, 02:53
If you've got that many worries about it why did you bother managing 'to secure' it?

qwertyplop
21st Aug 2009, 05:33
The draft coming through the door at 36,000ft can be tiresome. :E

raffele
21st Aug 2009, 08:58
Yet again a scan of the SLF FAQ's refer you to SeatGuru which provides many answers.

SeatGuru Seat Map Jet Airways Boeing 777-300ER (773) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Jet_Airways/Jet_Airways_Boeing_777-300ER.php)

PTV will be in the armrest. Very simple to operate - you fold it out. Your tray able will be in the arm rest too.

Look at SeatGuru to see if you've put yourself on an exit row, because there are three rows of bulkheads and only one is on an exit row. If you're on an exit row you'll find things a bit chilly, and the smell/crowds for the loos might be bothersome. Likewise if you've put yourself next to the galley you'll not get much peace and quiet.

Di_Vosh
22nd Aug 2009, 01:02
LLTL,

Some other things to consider (there may be more, but that's all I can think of for now):

1. It's likely that you'll have to store your carry-on bags in the overhead locker (i.e. not at your feet) for take-off and landing. A lot of pax get very anxious about this, as they don't like their purse/laptop/briefcase, etc, out of their sight.

2. You may be asked whether you're willing and able to assist in an emergency (you would in my airline). This has also created "problems" in the past.

3. Leading on from the above, when you check in (or even after boarding) the ground staff/CC might decide that you are NOT suitable to sit in an exit row due to their impression that you CANNOT assist in a emergency (again, this happens in my airline).

DIVOSH!

Load Toad
22nd Aug 2009, 08:02
Some people really should just take the bus.

ulxima
22nd Aug 2009, 09:33
Some people really should just take the bus.

Going to Mumbai from the UK?
We should be prepared to answer about P&O or SeaFrance service on board.....:E

Ulxima

WHBM
22nd Aug 2009, 10:36
Can people who are fussbudgets about life please NOT take emergency exit row seats, which have an additional responsibility to their fellow passengers should the need arise. I'd much rather have someone there who is up to it.

If you're concerned about handling the AVOD screen in the armrest then god knows what would happen if you needed to handle the exit.

Capetonian
22nd Aug 2009, 10:40
The draft coming through the door at 36,000ft can be tiresome

... but at 39,000 it's cold enough to freeze your legs to numbness and then they drop off, so you won't feel a thing.

ex-XL-in-exile
22nd Aug 2009, 17:39
If it gets too cold for you may I suggest opening the door and giving it a good old bang shut again - should stop the draught. :ok: