PDA

View Full Version : Notams - Narrow Route Brief

Okavango
20th Aug 2009, 20:56
Hi. Is there any freely available software that you can directly plot your route into to get a NOTAM narrow route brief? I don't find the NATS system too user friendly and figure there must be a quicker way?

PompeyPaul
21st Aug 2009, 09:13
don't find the NATS system too user friendlyI got shot down for suggesting such a thing. I'd get your tin hat on, quick!

Okavango
21st Aug 2009, 09:41
Thanks - that's quite good. I understand their disclaimer - is the info always pretty much up to date and do you not always download bulletins prior to use (I don't understand why there is an option to 'reload last download' - surely old info shouldn't be used)? Ideally it would be good if you could just plot your route rather than inputting waypoint lat/long manually, though I guess this is as good as it gets at least as a freebie.

Cusco
21st Aug 2009, 11:03
Have a look at avbrief: It's not free but does do narrow route briefs in seconds.

I've also got Notam plot via avbrief but still after several years haven't mastered it so I stick with avbrief.

Cusco

OneIn60rule
31st Aug 2009, 11:08
I think notamplot v2.4 is brilliant.

Just make sure you have an avbrief account as they take their info from them.
Follow on site guide.

You can create routes on notamplot and I think that's just about all you need to see what area you might hit.
The only downside is that the routes have to be from airfield to airfield or to navaids.

You can't actually go to a phantom waypoint or make one. Other than that, brilliant!

jousby
1st Sep 2009, 09:50
This web launchable java app is pretty cool. Gives you a quick visualisation of notams on a UK map. You can then filter out notams based on category / altitiude etc.

Doesn't get any quicker if you are just doing a local flight and want to check the immediate are around your airfield.

Notam Map (http://www.notam-map.co.uk)

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
1st Sep 2009, 20:14
I’d second Jousby’s choice of Notam Map, although it doesn’t allow you to plot a route. There is enough information on the plot to work out where things are. You will need an account at the AIS website, although that is free.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

mikehallam
2nd Sep 2009, 19:06
Try this instead !

Found on the BMAA site, posted by James Hollingshead.

I just came across this site which looks very useful.

tinyurl.com/uk-notams.

You get a google map which you can drag around and zoom into as normal, and all the notams plotted over the top. Runs in the web browser for when you're on a computer without Notamplot or equivalent installed, and much more useful than the official AIS website.

The guy that wrote the page is eharding on the flyer forums, and his post describing it is somewhere in this thread.

eharding
2nd Sep 2009, 21:14
The guy that wrote the page is eharding on the flyer forums, and his post describing it is somewhere in this thread.

He's on here as well. The post on the Flyer thread was a bit rambling, but it was very late....and I take back everything I said about some of our bretherin not, er, zooming.

I'd be intrigued to know who registered that tinyurl as well - it wasn't me!

Anyway, it does what it says on the tin. As I said in the other thread, I find it easier to turn everything off to start with with the top-level checkbox, and then selectively re-enable different categories.

The usual caveats, disclaimers and such apply - if you want an approved brief (and who wouldn't) you still need to visit NATS | AIS (http://www.ais.org.uk).

P1-FTE
3rd Sep 2009, 06:55
Although not free, Rant ( as in the Instrument training software) have a Met application and flight planner software with them which are actually very good. There is an option there to get NOTAMS and even plot them on the map and of course print them off based on your route and you can set a distance "around" your route (creating a corridor). I’ve used this in anger for a trip to Ireland last week and it was spot on with what another guy had pulled of the net.

olicana
3rd Sep 2009, 09:06
I have just had a look at "tinyurl.com/uk-notams". What an excellent little program.