PDA

View Full Version : ATC Favouritism

phineas
20th Aug 2009, 15:57
Do certain airlines get the benefit of 50/50 calls at certain airports? Do AA get better treatment at JFK, Iberia at MAD?
I wouldn’t be surprised if ATC say they always honest, pilots may disagree

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Aug 2009, 16:31
Not sure what a 50/50 call is?

I don't believe that UK ATC is anything other than impartial, but I do know some pilots don't agree! There used to be a war many years ago between two major British airlines at Heathrow - the only two airlines which engaged in such nonsense. Each thought the other was getting priority from ATC, but it was never thus. Controllers don't have time for this kind of thing, although I can't speak for those outside the UK.

I showed a foreign pilot around Heathrow once and he expressed amazement that we did not give BA priority!

NudgingSteel
21st Aug 2009, 00:09
I'm proud to say I've never worked with an ATCO who was other than impartial when it comes to any sort of airline priority. These days there are so many other factors regarding order of traffic (slot times, aircraft performance, track divergence for 1 minute departure separations, vortex category, needing to free up a particular stand etc etc), that you tend to forget the flag painted on the side of the aircraft!
It's almost always down to the most efficient, fastest flow of traffic.

Don't forget, pilots are only responsible for the performance of one airline - their own - and occasionally forget the other 15 or 20 aircraft wanting to land or depart within a few minutes of themselves. They often aren't aware of the delays happening to everybody else and so often feel that they're being unduly penalised

Avman
21st Aug 2009, 09:35
I don't believe there's blatant national flag favouritism anywhere in Europe. There have been many accusations about favouritism in Spain and France, but I consider them to be unfounded. They tend to be based on misperceptions by crews who don't fully understand all the constraints a particular airport's ATC have to work with. Where a minor form of favouritism may exist is with the odd individual here and there. This tends to be based more on personal connections or experiences an individual ATCO may have had with an airline. That's human nature.

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Aug 2009, 10:50
or words to that effect.

I rest my case.

glf

Avman
21st Aug 2009, 11:19
The exclusive chug-a-lug club existed many years ago - and I couldn't possibly comment ;)

P.S. Those were the really good days of aviation.

BN2A
21st Aug 2009, 15:10
Avman,

Happens in Spain/Canaries all the time!!!

:ugh:

forget
21st Aug 2009, 15:33
Chugalug? Another clue. DanAir. :ok:

Avman
22nd Aug 2009, 10:29
Avman,

Happens in Spain/Canaries all the time!!!

BN2A, I can only repeat what I said:

.....based on misperceptions by crews who don't fully understand all the constraints a particular airport's ATC have to work with.

PPRuNe Radar
22nd Aug 2009, 10:54
I'm sure those that speak Spanish know what goes on with local carriers getting priority in Espana ;)

Sobelena
22nd Aug 2009, 13:05
Aah, the poor hard done by Brits. It's just not cricket is it old boy. :};)

Neon Circuits
10th Sep 2009, 21:33
mmmm...... MAD springs to mind....

G SXTY
11th Sep 2009, 14:23
as do one or two islands in the English Channel . . .

General_Kirby
11th Sep 2009, 15:50
Spain blatantly, coming into BCN one night told we were number 1 at about 7 miles, then told to reduce to minimum as a Iberia was turned in before us for a tight 3-4 mile final after going visual. Many other instances where you'll be given obvious wide circuits or delaying headings while others are squeezed in ahead. The fact it is so blatant is very amusing and almost admirable!

carbonfibre
26th Dec 2009, 18:16
Nah prob late for the bar or the CC room's that complain about other airlines getting priority!!:E

dixi188
26th Dec 2009, 21:17
Big surprise into Frankfurt a couple of days ago at 0510z. We landed 07L (OO-)and LH on 07R.
Usually the other way round.

CheekyVisual
30th Dec 2009, 14:30
I remember in the old days Sabena had their own holding point for 25R at BRU ! Oh and I have an actual photograph of an Air France aircraft having to give way to me at CDG. Has only happened once in 10 years !

The UK is generally by the book. Although I remember an incident at STN some years ago (an airport my company didn't regularly use) where positioning an aircraft out from maintenance we were slipped in ahead of a long line of harped tailed 800s. You could almost here the laughing in the tower. Enjoyed that one !

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Dec 2009, 18:34
Talking about SABENA reminds me of OO-SCA at Heathrow. We'd always try to give it the southern runway, whichever configuration was in operation. It wasn't favouritism, it's just that we knew that those guys could work miracles with an F-27 and it never held anyone up.. Great fun.

CJ1234
30th Dec 2009, 19:25
AMS - I detect a tiny wee hint of national bias on 18C/18R ops. Am almost certainly wrong, it's just a feeling I have. That taxi from 18R is often longer than the flight. Hate flying to AMS. Fab controllers there though.

Avman
30th Dec 2009, 21:37
CJ1234 you are most certainly wrong. You obviously have no understanding of how AMS runway utilisation works. ATC in AMS is as professional as the UK.