PDA

View Full Version : VOC returns to LST after engine fire

tasdevil.f27
20th Aug 2009, 03:54
VOC returned to LST this morning after an engine fire, smoke and flames were seen by the general public as it departed for SYD. Circled to the south of the field and made an uneventful landing a while later.

Be interesting to see what the cause was, LST will be hoping its not a bird strike, as there strikes are getting very high!

No doubt the near death experiences will be all over the local news tonight.

turbantime
20th Aug 2009, 08:23
Here's an article:

Virgin Blue flame alert NICK CLARK

August 20, 2009 02:18pm

LOCAL residents alerted Virgin Blue when they saw flames coming from a flight out of Launceston this morning.

Tasmanian traveller Ciaran Marron said the flight bound for Sydney had taken off when she heard a huge bang.

She said she had smelt something as well.

"When we kept circling I was just so scared and whem the hostesses did not go into their routine I knew it was serious," she said.

Ms Marron said she thought it was lightning but found out when she got to the ground that there had been flames.

"I saw flashes but thought it was lighting which made me more scared," she said.

There were 151 passengers on board.

Virgin Blue spokeswoman Amanda Bolger said flight DJ1153 had suffered an "engine surge" and had brought the engine to idle.

Pilots had circled and reassured passengers before doing an air return and a textbook landing.

She said that the company had heard that there were some brief flames and that there were reports from the ground.

Ms Bolger said the plane had been in takeoff phase.

She said the incident would be investigated by the airline and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

She said the engine did not blow up.

The plane would be inspected on the ground before a decision was made.

tasdevil.f27
20th Aug 2009, 09:07
All the usual going to die comments on the news tonight.

looking like a bird strike, another one for the records......

The Chaser
20th Aug 2009, 09:16
:D:D:D:D:D ... that sir's was a consummate display of calm professionalism under VERY difficult (WX/SYSTEMS) circumstances!
The 'POP' heard from the tower had me sitting up in the seat I can tell you! :ooh:
I hope the company has put on some beers for you, irrespective, next time you are in town, the beers are on me!!!!
BRAVO gentlemen BRAVO!
Cheers :ok:

tasdevil.f27
21st Aug 2009, 03:58
Bit of an eventful day, VOC and MSM with landing light drama's.

I'd just knocked off for the day and missed VOC by minutes.

Captain Sand Dune
21st Aug 2009, 07:01
....reassured passengers before doing an air return and a textbook landing
Hmmmmmm, an "air return" you say? As opposed to a ground return, I guess?
Bluddy medja!!:yuk::yuk:

Capt Claret
21st Aug 2009, 07:47
Delay code: 020 - (RTB) Return to Blocks Technical; aka Ground Return

Delay code: 040 - (ATB) Air Turnback Technical; aka Air Return

VBPCGUY
21st Aug 2009, 23:39
From the 'mail' Im getting it wasnt birdstrike but rather and engine issue, DJ1372 had a heap of AOG parts on a LST bound flight from MEL yesterday afternoon and another engine was being sent across on the Spirit Of Tasmania last night, engine replacement should take place this morning.

Captain Sand Dune
22nd Aug 2009, 00:34
Delay code: 020 - (RTB) Return to Blocks Technical; aka Ground Return
Delay code: 040 - (ATB) Air Turnback Technical; aka Air Return
Well there you go. Ya learn something new every day. Thanks for that!:ok:
However the media could use plain English and say something like "the aircraft landed safely without further incident", or words to that effect.
Using jargon for the sake of it sounds rather naff.

porch monkey
22nd Aug 2009, 08:35
Hey VBPC, at least 1372 had something useful in the hold. Not the usual bags of rocks........

VBPCGUY
22nd Aug 2009, 12:44
Porch Monkey that E-Jet flight is usually very full, and since Ive been handling E-Jets Ive never loaded ballast into a hold.

tasdevil.f27
23rd Aug 2009, 05:02
The new engine arrived around 1300 hrs yesterday arvo, the stuffed engine was nearly removed by that stage. They had VOC 1/2 inside the ex QF hanger. As she was a bit wide they angled parked her so one wing was inside & the other out.

Kiwiconehead
23rd Aug 2009, 07:29
They had VOC 1/2 inside the ex QF hanger.

Good to see it being used for something constructive instead of storing hay bales or whatever they use it for now.

Pretty sure it's still Qantaslink's hanger as they signed a pretty long lease on it - then closed the base 6 months later :ugh:

porch monkey
23rd Aug 2009, 08:48
Pc guy, that's because we carry them around the place for them on the 737's. Saving fuel of course..:ok:

23rd Aug 2009, 11:36
KiwiConehead agree entirely.
I stand corrected but that facility was never used for its intended purpose!
By the time it was finished complete with heated floor there was no further NJS / Qantaslink a/c in LST to use it!
Am I right?

tasdevil.f27
23rd Aug 2009, 21:28
By the time it was finished complete with heated floor there was no further NJS / Qantaslink a/c in LST to use it! Am I right? pretty much

Its leased by either QF or J* still, but yes its just full of qantas and j* crap. The new master plan has an option to convert it to a freight hanger once the lease runs out (either next year or 2011)

I know AAE / Airtrade are very keen to use it.

Merlins Magic
23rd Aug 2009, 22:32
The plane would be inspected on the ground before a decision was made.

Three chears for Captain Obvious. They're not about to inspect it in the air are they.:}

VBPCGUY
23rd Aug 2009, 22:36
VOC was back in MEL yesterday afternoon engineers performed another engine run on it, shut it down and she should back in revenue service today:ok: