PDA

View Full Version : FATS help

Laura2002
19th Aug 2009, 15:22
Hi,

I am due to take my Flight Aptitude Test soon (no date set yet)

I downloaded a workbook from the internet called FATpass and this has been of some help. However im still really worried about the test.

I assume its not all speed/distance/time calculations?

Im thinking of getting a maths tutor for a bit to help me.

Does anyone have any useful tips or could give some guidance on what's in the test?

I would be grateful for any reply!

Laura

Pontius Navigator
19th Aug 2009, 16:59
Laura, I looked it up on the website. You are quite right it is not all speed/time/distance.

•find average speeds
•deal with multiple variables including wind-speed, cargo weight and fuel usage
•find journey times
•cross-reference tables of data
•analyse maps
•extract crucial information from wordy questions
•determine fuel consumption
•give ETAs

You don't need a tutor, you just need to create the sums yourself. You are in a car, it is doing 60 mph. You have 12 miles to go. How long will it take? Your car does 30 mpg, how much fuel will it use? What is that in gallons per hour?

Note the units I used. It is not all metric. How many kilos in a lb? Metres in a nautical mile etc.

Do look at the OASC sticky, you will find more there.

Mackay
19th Aug 2009, 17:04
I was in the same place as you,

Check out forums like 'the student room' and various other ones, google search it should do the job.

I found Speed Distance Time | OASC: RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre (http://www.speeddistancetime.info/) really helpful. Self explanatory, at the FATS it also goes into detail with Algorithms and stuff (Networks, maps - working out ETA's)

I also bought a book called Military Flight Aptitude Tests, off amazon. Although designed for the yanks it has a certain amount of crossover with the British Tests.

Hope that helps.

Pontius Navigator
19th Aug 2009, 18:03
Give ETAs.

I recall a Maths Honours graduate with a 1st at Cambridge.

With 3 minutes to run at 0858 he determined that the ETA was 0861.

airborne_artist
19th Aug 2009, 18:24
Laura - PM me your email address and I will send you some up-to-date notes on FATS.

AA