PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for airfields in Champagne Region

rmdr2
19th Aug 2009, 15:07
Hi folks

I am playing with the idea of flying to the Champagne region of France for the weekend and was hoping that I might get some recommendations of airfields where I might land.

Ideally, I am looking for an airfield that is within a short taxi ride of a picturesque town/village with a nice hotel and in close proximity to the vineyards/wineries. Usual tourist stuff...

Failing that, an airport with a car hire facility on site so we can go further afield. I note the Reims is closed to civilian traffic for 6months, so that rules that out...

Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks

rmdr2

Piper.Classique
19th Aug 2009, 20:34
Try Reims Prunay LFQA Not much further from the town, and a friendly club airfield.

tow1709
19th Aug 2009, 22:20
Troyes is a lovely town to visit. I can't speak for the airport (Barbery) as I have never been there by air, but have driven past it a few times, and seen lots of light a/c parked there. It is a 3 or 4 miles out of town to the NW.

Johnm
20th Aug 2009, 06:58
Troyes is a lovely town and the airport is friendly and can do customs. It also has engineering facilities and fuel.

There's a hotel in town operated by an Irish Pilot and his Troyenne wife and he'll come and pick you up. It's called the Relais St Jean and there's leaflets on the counter in the terminal. It's not cheap but it is stylish and the lack of taxi fares compensates.

I haven't been to Reims Prunay for a while but it was friendly and had a restaurant, engineering and fuel last time I went. I don't use it now because it no longer has customs. It's also quite a long way from Reims.

Windrusher
20th Aug 2009, 12:49
We thoroughly enjoyed an unplanned stay at Verdun, landing just before heavy rain on what seemed a deserted airfield - only to find a merry group huddling in the shelter of the very welcoming airfield restaurant 'La Paillotte Meusienne'. There's avgas there, but you'll need a card (I forget which) or pay cash to the airfield manager. We didn't have time to explore the town a couple of miles away, but you'll guess that there's plenty of 'history' in the area; the forts and cemeteries are indicated on the aircharts.

Beware of the military airspace in the area, of course. We had a great service from the military controller around there, but elsewhere found that rather large swathes could be closed from day to day. Details are available in advance, but I forget from where.

On the return, we stopped for lunch at Troyes, which is a very professionally run and active field recommended by many.

Windrusher

gasax
20th Aug 2009, 15:15
Last year I planned to stop at Epernay (LFSW), things changed and so I never actually landed. But I did fly past! About 10km outside Epernay looked a lovely grass strip.

Details from that excellent resource Nav2000.com http://www.nav2000.com/pf/detail.asp?oaci=LFSW.