PDA

View Full Version : CH7 crash August 2009: Sydney

topendtorque
17th Aug 2009, 12:59
any clues from the deep south?

Man dies in Sydney helicopter crash

Posted Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:00pm AEST

Updated Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55pm AEST

The crash site is on the edge of the Windsor Downs nature reserve, about four kilometres from Richmond RAAF base. (AAP/Careflight)

Map: Sydney 2000 (http://www.abc.net.au/news/maps/map.htm?lat=-33.8631&long=151.2043&caption=Sydney%202000)

A pilot has died after an ultralight helicopter crashed on a property in northwest Sydney.
The single-engine CH7 helicopter came down in Sanctuary Drive, Windsor Downs, about 1.40pm (AEST) on Saturday

The CareFlight trauma team flew to the scene but were unable to save the man, who was the sole occupant of the aircraft.

The crash site is on the edge of the Windsor Downs nature reserve and about four kilometres from Richmond RAAF base.

It is not clear if the helicopter came from the air field.The cause of the crash is unknown and crash investigations are continuing.

CYHeli
18th Aug 2009, 23:21
TET, I think it was Herman Roesch

As a mate described him to me...
"He was the factory test pilot for the Heli-Cycle, a very experienced gyro & heli-pilot.
He was a very interesting bloke to chat to, was never condescending & was happy to share any information, a real gent."

22clipper
19th Aug 2009, 06:39
Yes it was Herman the German alas. Engine failure on approach was the rumor. I think the Angel he was flying had a 2 stroke in it. God I hate 2 strokes. Last time we spoke he was tellingme how much he was enjoying his grand kids. A nicer guy you could not wish to meet.

I sort of feel bad because because Herman was a gyro pilot of twenty years before I took him for a run in my R22 a decade ago. He got into ultralight choppers not long after that. I'm convincing myself he probably would have found his way into helis anyway.

topendtorque
19th Aug 2009, 12:41
Had heard of the gentleman.
perhaps he got caught in a bad part of the 'envelope'. what is the 'envelope' for that type?

22, my examiner at Long Beach had been the chief test pilot for Bensen (spelling) gyros. He used to jokingly claim that he had, "haaa taam in autorotation".
people do what what they do.
what sort of investigation is it? atsb??
cheers tet

22clipper
20th Aug 2009, 08:15
The machine had VH reg but I'm not sure if the ATSB bother with ultralights? Photo in the local paper was a shocker, most of the cabin forward of the mast crushed like it fell nose first.