PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines - Channel 9 - Only one?

Flamin_Squirrel
17th Aug 2009, 12:20
Greetings.

I understand United Airlines allow passengers to listen to ATC via the inflight radio on channel 9. Does anyone know if United are the only airline to offer this?

Thanks.

Avman
17th Aug 2009, 15:31
As far as I know the answer is YES. Bear in mind that even with United, it's at the Captain's discretion. An interesting question arises from this post: If pax are listening to channel 9 overhead the UK, are they contravening UK law?

t9sds
17th Aug 2009, 16:57
Travelled United A320 Las Vegas/Washington earlier this month.
Yes they do offer ATC transmission/replies on channel 9 but don't appear to advertise this in their in flight magazine.
It was quite interesting listening to the communication and how the crew dealt with the varying levels of 'chop' during the 4 hours 25 trip, sometimes fairly severe.
Pity United have to charge additionally for checked in baggage bags as this was a domestic flight, I did wonder why both Jet Blue and Southwest advertise their no charge hold baggage policies.

nivsy
19th Aug 2009, 11:47
Most recently, for me, Channel 9 on the outbound B767 from LHR to IAD was "shared" with some kids channel and was never broadcasting.

On the return sector on a 777 the channel 9 was operating from push back until over the atlantic then was switched off and never put on again.

Nivsy

Groundloop
20th Aug 2009, 09:00
Channel 9 usually provides VHF radio traffic. Over the Atlantic HF radio is used and this is not normally on Channel 9.