PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Cleaning

RWY_31R
17th Aug 2009, 09:09
How often do airlines clean the exterior of their planes? And how often is it recommended? Sometimes I see some real dirty planes and wonder if cleaning them is not a priority. Not good for corporate image I think.

NutLoose
17th Aug 2009, 16:05
Actually they get cleaned quiet often, but depending on where they operate from and can become dirty quite quickly, problems you have is you need somewhere with a proper wash bay and drain traps to do them and it is a bit labour intensive, I agree, I have seen some really dirty ones about and they have gone out of maintnance looking the same, it does them no good if a customer sees them really bad as it makes them appear uncared for, they then wonder about the rest of ther maintenance, and quite rightly too..... You have to remember these things are flying literally around the clock and to drag it off fare paying flights is a none starter, so they tend to get done during maintanance cycles and washed before they take them apart.

Most corporate ones have companies that come in and do them, or their own staff to keep them looking pristine.

leewan
18th Aug 2009, 09:46
A clean aircraft also generates less drag thereby having a lower fuel burn compared to a dirty a/c.

Evanelpus
18th Aug 2009, 15:19
The 'filthiest' airline I know is Air France. I've seen some of their aircraft that looked as though they hadn't seena wash in ages.

In fairness, I suppose if your aircraft are predominately white then any muck is going to stick out like a sore thumb!

Bus429
19th Aug 2009, 07:00
It is worth mentioning that many cleaning tasks are detailed in the AMM and are therefore maintenance tasks and should be under the control of a maintenance organisation. The AMM specifies materials and techniques; failure to follow the AMM could result in damage to parts of the aircraft. Many parts of the aircraft - particularly titanium - are subject to damage through the use of chorinated cleaners.

stretchka15
25th Aug 2009, 13:44
One company here in Australia, Each aeroplane got cleaned every 6-8 weeks. Thats when I was cleaning them a couple of years ago