PDA

View Full Version : First Class Question

99jolegg
17th Aug 2009, 00:26
Is there a specific reason why first class areas are always at the front of the aircraft and never at the rear?

Is it purely an aesthetic customer service point (to avoid airlines' premium pax tramping the length of the a/c) or is it more mass & balance and performance related? Or is it just convention?

It is impossible (or extremely impractical) to have it at the rear?

Dr Jekyll
17th Aug 2009, 06:51
I believe it's because it tends to be quieter at the front. At least on a jet.

Capetonian
17th Aug 2009, 06:58
The passengers in the front of the aircraft arrive first. Isn't that why it's called first class?

angels
17th Aug 2009, 11:19
Think of the way air bridges are configured old bean.

It means we at the pointy end can get off ahead of the riff raff in business class, not to mention the oiks in cattle. :}

passy777
17th Aug 2009, 11:23
Think of the way air bridges are configures old bean.

It means we at the pointy end can get off ahead of the riff raff.

And pay a ridiculous premium for doing so!

CV880
17th Aug 2009, 16:39
I always understood it was due to noise/vibration. Propellor driven aircraft I was associated with had First Class at the rear to get the premium punters away from the noise and vibration caused by the props. With jet aircraft the greatest noise is at the rear caused by the engine exhaust or in the case of tail mounted engines the proximity of the engines so first class was moved up front.

BRUpax
17th Aug 2009, 17:55
It's also a smoother ride up front than in the back. When in turbulent or choppy conditions, constant rudder and elevator corrections can make things a tad more uncomfortable when seated in the rear of the aircraft. I got the bruises to prove it back in my days of Y travel on B707s!

angels
18th Aug 2009, 07:41
passy old fruit.

You don't think I pay a ridiculous premium do you?? :ok:

parabellum
18th Aug 2009, 11:58
Standard rules when disembarking an aircraft:

First Class passengers first, fare paying passengers second.

C'mon chaps, get with the programme.