PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 hours in a Sea king

thorpey
16th Aug 2009, 19:26
Congratulations to MACR Ron Webb, from A Flight 202 Squadron at Boulmer, who has amassed 10,000hrs in a Sea King, doing invaluable work in the SAR world.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/E4C3975B_5056_A318_A81269F844D15CB5.jpg

Well done, thorpey.

SinkingMallard
16th Aug 2009, 21:16
Full story is here:

RAF - News by Date (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=E4C59A85-5056-A318-A817AADF3EBD9B54&rss=true)

Well done Ron - best of the best.

TorqueOfTheDevil
16th Aug 2009, 22:11
Indeed many congratulations Ron, you taught us all so much. Every word from you was worth 5 of most people's and at least 10 of mine!

TOTD

Tallsar
16th Aug 2009, 23:20
An a hearty congratulations from myself too - Ron is an exemplar of professionalism, teamwork and an all round good man. He has been a stalwart of the RAF Sea King SARF from (almost) day one - and Ron has been one of the main contributors to its superb reputation as the last 30 years have shot by!! All the best - you have earned a rest mate!

cyclic
17th Aug 2009, 08:05
One of the nicest blokes in RAF SAR - a true gentleman, congratulations Ron.

Epiphany
17th Aug 2009, 09:29
Well done Sir. That is a fantastic achievement.

How good to see also that the RAF are more sensible with their flying age policy. Had I stayed in the AAC I would have been kicked out at 40 having completed my 22 years as of no further use. I ran a 3.20 marathon on my 40th birthday.

ninefromten
17th Aug 2009, 14:40
Well done Ron a tremendous acheivement. Keep them young pilots under control!!. It was a pleasure to have worked with you.

Wiretensioner
17th Aug 2009, 17:43
Well done Ron. An absolute gentleman of the SAR world. Many happy hours flying with him in the late 80's when he first arrived at Boulmer. If I am right I don't think he has actually left the area since he arrived!

Wiretensioner

Sven Sixtoo
17th Aug 2009, 21:03
Ron made perhaps the most significant contribution to my education as a pilot. In late 1983 we had a job somewhere out by Rockall where a man had fallen off a boat. Presented with this 220 mile out job, I as copilot went into SKTU mode, drawing lines, folding maps etc. Ron came back into the ops room at Lossie, grabbed me (and my pile of maps) and said "stop f**king around there's a man dying out there".

That incident was the one that taught me to prioritise.

Sven

leopold bloom
17th Aug 2009, 21:05
What an achievement, well don Ron.

inputshaft
17th Aug 2009, 23:29
Ron and I arrived at Boulmer in the mid eighties, he as an experienced winchop, I as a new pilot. I still haven't come across a more capable and upright man in the intervening 23 yrs. I had to laugh at Sven's story, as I always think of Ron as the supreme gentleman, but the story reminded me of that other side of his character that made him such a competent crew member.

Ron, those were a long 13 hrs, but good times. I hope you're still having fun.

Adam Nams
18th Aug 2009, 00:25
Many congratulations Ron - A true gentleman.

Cabe LeCutter
18th Aug 2009, 01:55
What an incredible acheivement by a true gentleman, well done indeed Ron.

rjtjrt
18th Aug 2009, 02:40
I do hope someone will let MACR Webb and his family know this thread exists and how to access it.
A great tribute. A marvellous life so far.
John

Um... lifting...
18th Aug 2009, 02:46
rjtjrt-
I don't know the fellow, but I think 'he's no' deid yet...' Probably would rather not be spoken of as if he were!

rjtjrt
18th Aug 2009, 02:50
Um-lift
I am well aware that the gentleman is very much well and still contributing more than most of us.
Still I have edited my post to make it more clear

TorqueOfTheDevil
18th Aug 2009, 11:21
someone will let MACR Webb and his family know this thread exists

Not long ago, Ron was a regular viewer of PPrune so I would suspect he's already seen this!

Limpopo
18th Aug 2009, 16:44
Not long ago, Ron was a regular viewer of PPrune so I would suspect he's already seen this!And no doubt very embarrased by the kind comments that have been said here.

I too worked with Ron at Lossie for many years in the early-mid 80s and I too can say that he was a true professional and a great help to new pilots and crewmen.

Well done Ron. :ok: Hopefully catch up with you some day, although shame we didn't get to speak when you were on a N Sea job a few months back with IC.

rotorrookie
18th Aug 2009, 23:23
10.000hrs = 1year + a month and some 3weeks!!!.....omg is he still able to walk after being tosed around the sky in a Sea King for that long... :}

MightyGem
19th Aug 2009, 09:39
A superb achievment. Congratulations. :ok:

mark137
19th Aug 2009, 16:04
well done m8 and thanks for rescueing me

mark

SARREMF
20th Aug 2009, 07:48
Well done Ron a real achievement and a massive contribution to the RAF SAR Force. I dont think you ever realised what a huge influence you had on new crew members [be they rear crew or pilot] with your calm and expertise. Once again, well done.

SASless
21st Aug 2009, 13:09
"Bolderdash I say! Bolderdash"

The wee callow fellow probably still has to use a checklist to start the darn thing!

Shame the Boss Fellah won't trust him with a new cab!

Worthy record of achievement.....Congratulations!

topendtorque
21st Aug 2009, 13:23
You've been away a couple of weeks Sasless. Have you been co-habitating with that common friend of ours??:)
cheers tet

SASless
21st Aug 2009, 22:11
Never....never.....ever....take two twenty'-two year old women sailing on the four hottest days of the year.....root canal's are more fun! :ouch:

Never mind the boat had air conditioning! :rolleyes:

Throw in some rough water, a bit of mal de mer on one young ladies part....and the other picking a fight with the other one the whole trip!:mad:

At one point the Ship's Cat headed over the side but I was able to grab hold of him before he made it......an hour later I was considering doing the same thing myself!:(

Heck fire....I thought helicopter pilots were whiners......sheeeeeeit doc!:ugh:

Not to mention the laptop got drowned during a rain storm when one of the hatches got left un-dogged!:{

sarboy99
22nd Aug 2009, 08:22
Shouldn't you two be on a different thread? How about "Sniffing Glue" as a title?

topendtorque
22nd Aug 2009, 14:48
Sorry Sarboy, but to be considered you must AHEAD of the frame.

Glue huh, well that's one way to get real high on hours, or anything for sure, not that I've tried it.

I add my congratulations to the pilot concerned, no mean feat where trips are short and duty time long.

The rest of it is a private joke where Sasless had a serious lend of me a few years back, please take no offence.

Limpopo
22nd Aug 2009, 15:30
I add my congratulations to the pilot concerned, no mean feat where trips are short and duty time long.

Ron is actually a SAR winch and radar operator, not a pilot. However, saying that he could probably fly the Sea King as well as some pilots.

Spacer
22nd Aug 2009, 19:05
No, I know he could fly it better than quite a few....

Wiretensioner
23rd Aug 2009, 07:34
Sad to see this thread hijacked by our colonial bretheren!

Wiretensioner

topendtorque
23rd Aug 2009, 09:41
Sad to see this thread hijacked by our colonial bretheren!

Yes brethren we are, so obviously we really appreciate your laying out the welcome mat for us. but to call both of us "Colonials", well I certainly wouldn't do that.

anyway a bit of jocularity on the side makes things much less boring, what eh?

SASless
23rd Aug 2009, 13:09
Hijacked by Colonials....now there's a thought to consider!

Even some Ex-Colonials have commented and offered up congratulatory messages to a fellow that has enjoyed great success and achievement in his career within the helicopter world......and saved some lives in the process.

I would suggest this is a hijacking that can be endorsed by all.

bighead
7th Sep 2009, 12:28
I think the only good way to commemorate this occasion would ne a life sized bronze statue of Ron at the SAR HQ at Valley. X

Te_Kahu
7th Sep 2009, 13:42
wiretensioner. As probably the ultimate colonial brethren (or at least a native upstart from one of the colonies!!!) I agree with Bighead, SASless & Topendtorque.

I also post my own hearty congratulations to the man at the centre of the thread.

TK

TorqueOfTheDevil
8th Sep 2009, 14:00
I think the only good way to commemorate this occasion would ne a life sized bronze statue of Ron at the SAR HQ at Valley. X

Quite a modestly-sized statue then...

Good idea Bighead, or should I call you Robbie Williams these days?

TOTD

SASless
22nd Sep 2009, 13:24
Wire Tensioner,

The Ex-colonials hijack this issue once again!

Sikorsky shall present an award to Ron Webb today at 1PM at Heli-Tech in recognition of his long service and the accumulation of over 10,000 hours in a Sea King.:ok:

Congratulations to Ron.....and to Sikorsky for presenting the award!:D

Spacer
22nd Sep 2009, 16:11
SAS... I wonder have they realised its a Westland's SK that the 10000 hours are in??!!

SASless
22nd Sep 2009, 18:13
It might be a Westland's built Sikorsky.... built under license from Sikorsky....and the award was given by a Sikorsky representing Sikorsky...so I reckon it all worked out as it should in the end!

seafuryfan
22nd Sep 2009, 20:46
Blimey. Good work Ron!

Um... lifting...
23rd Sep 2009, 01:32
but it is still a Sikorsky...Now you've gone and done it. I hope you're happy... I thought that was one of those things of which "we do not speak".:eek:
Like Churchill's mum was a Yank.

Spacer
23rd Sep 2009, 10:24
Sas...... it was only a little wind up! Well done Ron :)