PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there suffer anxiety/agoraphobia

sandbagsteve
16th Aug 2009, 09:49
Bit of an odd first post, this, but here goes... I did 4 hours in a C152 15 years ago, and due to work moving all over the place, plus my instructor at the time was a bit of a stiff shirt, and my confidence was destroyed to the point where it didn't seem any fun to carry on.

Anyway - last week I had my first lesson in a fixed wing microlight (Ikarus C42), and it was a blast! I can't say I wasn't nervous, but the instructor was really sympathetic and in the end I stayed up for the whole hour and tried lots of stuff to refresh my memory, and even managed the final landing without killing anyone :D

Really strange was that I flew the kinds of distances that, if in a car, would have had me feeling really anxious, but up in the air I felt fine...??!!

Is anyone else out there learning to fly despite suffering from panic or agorophobia or anything like that? I would welcome the moral support :)

Steve

stickandrudderman
16th Aug 2009, 10:12
Steve,
My unqualified input:
A lot of these conditions are very much in the head, which I guess is why hypnosis is so often helpful. (Think fear of flying, fear of public speaking, fear of water, fear of spiders etc..)
I suspect that because your mind was in a happy place whilst flying, it forgot all about its' fear of open spaces.
I've taken plenty of people sailing who were at first quite anxious and fearful, but with careful management they were eventually able to thoroughly enjoy it.
More recently I've done the same with taking people flying, although I'm more cautious about that as I'm not as experienced at flying as I am with sailing and so am wary of handling nervous passengers correctly when under stress.
It sounds like your instructor, conciously or not, was able to put you in a frame of mind that enabled you to relax and enjoy yourself.
I think it would help you generally if you could recall that happy relaxed euphoric feeling when stressed and it might help you reduce the symptoms.
just my tuppeny-worth you understand.

sandbagsteve
16th Aug 2009, 10:32
Yeah, I've been trying to conquer the anxiety for a while... I know the techniques to manage it. It is indeed a head-game, but unless you've been there' it's hard to empathise. Anxiety and panic is certainly VERY stigmatised and misunderstood. I certainly think my instructor deserves a beer for taking me up - after reading of some posts regarding people "freaking out" I'd shy away from taking someone up who showed signs of going fubar in the air.

Personally I guess I'm lucky that my desire to stay alive has always over-ridden any feelings of panic. Quit why anyone would want to hold onto the controls and freeze up is beyond me.

Of course, when you are flying solo you don't have the option to pass the aircraft to the other seat, so you just have to deal with it.

The secret to success I feel is taking things in small steps. Don't try to be a hero, or steely eyed sky god (as someone put it) when your instructor asks you to do something you aren't comfortable with. If you just go and do it anyway, the memory will probably be negative, and you will just reinforce the panic next time you have to do that manoeuvre.

I'm supposed to be up again tomorrow, so we'll see if I'm right :eek:

rusty sparrow
16th Aug 2009, 20:00
You should try and find a copy of Glider Pilot by Peter Champion - published in the early 70s.

I know Peter from the same gliding club then, his book discribes how he overcome agoraphobia via gliding. I've not read it so can't comment how good it is.

Good luck!

RS

sandbagsteve
17th Aug 2009, 15:05
Thanks Rusty, I'll look it up. To be honest, just knowing that others have overcome this problem through/while flying is encouragement enough, so thanks for taking the time to comment.

I just completed my second hour in the air, and apart from feeling totally drained when I climbed out of the plane, it was another great experience. Crazy thing is, my instructor says I'm flying really well, and learning quickly :) and we even sampled a stall (intentionally!) today, which was fun. Covered effects of controls, climbs, descents, straight/level and going from clean to full flap and back again.

The only time I began to feel a bit off was when we were flying over geography I wasn't familiar with... I kept bollocking myself which seemed to help a bit (it's ok to tell yourself to pull yourself together.... it's just harder when someone else tells you to do it!).

The Fenland Flyer
17th Aug 2009, 18:29
I’m learning in a C-42 too, it’s such nice friendly plane to fly, which helps with occasional bouts of anxiety I think.
If flying over unfamiliar terrain makes you feel uncomfortable try looking up the area on Google earth first. I did this often for a start to get familiar with the local area; I didn’t realise before I started flying just how narrow my view of the word had been as a car driver! It’s a different word up there and there no reason why the kind of things that bother you on the ground should affect you up there, enjoy :)

Fly-by-Wife
17th Aug 2009, 19:34
I’m learning in a C-42 too, it’s such nice friendly plane to fly

They can even land in trees*... :}

FBW

(* see Dundee thread).

stickandrudderman
17th Aug 2009, 22:18
I'm usually the first to crack a joke but even I wouldn't have posted that on a thread that's concerned with anxiety!!:=

funfly
18th Aug 2009, 21:21
I'm have been a nervous flyer for over 50 years during which time I have flown commercially (as a passenger) all over the world - with sweaty hands etc. The recent AF incident does nothing to stop my fear of commercial flying.
Put me behind the yoke of a PA28 and all worries dissapear - I have flown over 300 hours GA, started when I was 63 and have just renewed my licence at 71.
But you still won't get me up in one of those big things!

MartinCh
18th Aug 2009, 22:54
THIS (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/19283-fear-heights.html?highlight=helicopter+heights) or another older one (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/13186-you-scared-heights.html)
pretty much sum up the idiosyncracy of fears/anxiety but being on controls or aircraft is completely 'against the sense' of having such fears in ground or man-made structures.
Those talk of heights, but I think your case and so many of us, PPL or pro pilots regardless

I feel the same. Make me stand close to edge of high balcony, rooftop, bridge etc and I feel queasy. Flying with paraglider, glider or helicopter hundreds or over thousand metres up in the air, no probs.

As you yourself state, it's 'funny' mind trick.

I also noticed on myself that I recently became more sensitive to lateral movement during landing, while SLF in B737. Whether it's because I've flown more often recently and seeing the tragic aviation mishaps recent months, or just the fact that I've done lots of gliding training recently, leading to solo, makes me more aware of any movements. I'm not one of those who passengers who gasp and scream when experiencing low Gs on bumpy, thermal day in airliner.

Read those threads and maybe you'd find more yourself.
You don't have to read posts on 'private forum' to find folks experiencing this sort of feelings. Even professional pilots have their irrational feelings. Some heli pilots flying low-level or up to maybe 1000-1500' AGL feeling uncomfortable high up (where it's technically safer in case of engine failure, etc)

Manfred V R
19th Aug 2009, 19:05
Steve, there was a truly excellent 5 page article on pilot anxiety in the June 2006 issue of General Aviation - the AOPA magazine. It would be worth joining just for the back copy. It fully explains the contributing factors and how they can compound to incease the likelyhood of an attack - and of course how to keep it at bay. If AOPA cant help PM me. You clearly love flying so take those demons on!! Manfred

sandbagsteve
19th Aug 2009, 20:57
Thank you all so much for replying - it's been great to get so much feedback. Clearly everyone's experience of anxiety is different, as we all have different triggers. I have various problems with social events etc, so a big part of my problem is basic self confidence - which I'm sure will be helped by learning to fly.

I'll see if I can get hold of that GA Magazine article from AOPA, Manfred, thanks - I'll have to see what the advantages are of joining. Funfly, what an inspiration - I've got time to learn yet, then ;-)

My first problem is the time between getting out of bed, and actually pulling back on the stick and getting airborne. My nerves build up for no real reason, so I have to try and have my lessons in the morning, as I find it hard to eat much until I fly, and if I wait until the afternoon I'd be so hungry I'd feel crap. The second problem is just plain old "I'm stuck in a box 3000ft in the air a long way from home" - which sometimes just hits me and I have to quickly check my thought patterns to keep it from distracting me.

I'm sure as time goes on I'll relax more. And I really hope there will be more. Every time I have flown, I get home and then a few hours later I'm already looking forward to my next mission :)

Stickandrudderman - C42's landing in trees - LOL... Got to love that aviation humour :D

MadamBreakneck
20th Aug 2009, 12:27
Stickandrudderman - C42's landing in trees - LOL... Got to love that aviation humour

Get your facts right chaps - it was a CTSW :8

Back to thread, for phobias, exam nerves etc I usually suggest EFT - worked for me. (Emotional Freedom Techniques) (http://www.emofree.com/)

MB

bluesky300
20th Aug 2009, 23:29
Take a look at flybetter.co.uk - one of the world's great books. Read it cover to cover (it is, by a miracle, free!) and you won't look back.

yawningdog
21st Aug 2009, 18:27
Regarding that AOPA article, I wrote it. Thanks for the compliment Manfred.

I will post it on the internet sometime. In the meantime, if anyone wants me to email it to them, then send me a PM with your email address.:)

sandbagsteve
30th Aug 2009, 17:25
Just completed my third hour... another great time, despite starting to feel a bit groggy after an hour, I really look forward to my next lesson. Now completed the basics of turns, straight/level/climbing/descending. I'm not going to even mentioned the PAT APT thing as I "know" that has already been debated at length here. Suffice to say, we have a system that is efficient and doesn't stress the engine, or me!

After an hour my brain was starting to fog a bit due to fatigue (My anxiety just tires me out), so we skipped an overhead join, and rejoined downwind. I was really angry with myself for bottling it at the last minute, but I had enough beans left to fly the remainder of the pattern, and finals down to about 40 feet.

Really learnt a lot though, with checklists starting to stick in my mind, and did some RT (even taxied to fuel bay to fillerup). Instructor (not the same as first two flights due to holidays), assured me that my flying is fantastic for someone with just 3 hrs, which helped boost my confidence. I wobbled out of the plane and back to the briefing hut a happy, but very exhausted man.

Sorry to keep posting to this thread, but for anyone thinking of learning, then if I can do it despite agoraphobia and chronic fatigue, then anyone can... probably...

It's most bizare, but performing a dive at about Vne-20knotts didn't freak me out at all (those hedges really start getting big in the window!) - I was once again, more bothered about being out of my "patch" (agrophobia).

I'm really beginning to love pushing the aircraft this way and that, and it's starting to feel more natural. I'd love to plug my tutor/school as both instructors have been golden.

Let's see if I'm still smiling after steep turns and stalls/insipient spins :)

Ian.Ellis
31st Aug 2009, 13:14
It can be a matter of one fear being greater than another.

I have always been utterly terrified if heights - standing on a chair to change a lightbulb sort of height. When I was in the Air Force one of the radars I had to work on was a Type 54, an old metric radar mounted on a 300' tower. One day the transmitter tripped out and I was not quick enough to get out of the way, so I was tasked to fix it. Now one doesn't say to a Flight Sergeant "sorry chief I'm frightened of heights", my fear of the consequencies of that was greater so up I went. The trip up in the open lift inside the open tower was agonising, but at least the transmitter room was closed so I could work OK. When it came to getting down however, the lift had gone back down and there was no-one to answer my frantic rings on the bell, so I had to climb down the ladder on the outside of the tower, focussing firmly on the rung in front of my nose and nothing else, trembling, sweating and nearly in tears with terror.

After that you'd think I could say to myself "if I can do that I can do anything" - but no, I still feel unhappy clinbing on a wing to enter a DA40.

I know its all in the mind, but it doesn't help!

eyeinthesky
31st Aug 2009, 16:21
The title:
Anyone out there suffer anxiety/agoraphobia had me smiling, because if they had agoraphobia they wouldn't be 'out there' , would they?:p

All right, I'm going!

PS Good luck with overcoming your concerns, sandbagsteve: if you can do so then flying is one of the best pastimes there is!

The Fenland Flyer
1st Sep 2009, 22:57
Glad to hear things are going well sandbagsteve, (btw I love the username) please keep us posted.

In my case I have suffered mainly social anxiety, flying has helped big time with this as there is suddenly a whole load of people I know with a shared passion. Flying has also increased my confidence in general, and I know of at least two other pilots who have had there lives completely turned around for the better by flying. It's not just another hobby, it's something very, very special indeed :)

sandbagsteve
11th Sep 2009, 22:14
It is certainly special...

This week I actually flew twice, which is a big deal for me... now done 5 hrs and just need to nail stalls before looking at the circuit.

I have taken on the agoraphobia with a vengeance, and am following a support programme which now has me off all meds, and doing the mediation and self hypnosis thing, and it seems to be working... it's hard work to fight what has become learnt behaviour, but I'm getting there and am more determined than ever to realise my dream.

My 4th lesson was great, we were overflown by three tornado jets, nose on, a good couple of thousand feet above - very exciting! and again we got up above the scattered cloud/haze which was just fantastic.

Today, my 5th lesson covered climbing and descending turns, which we finished in time for a brief jolly sight seeing trip around some local nature spots before returning to the field for my first overhead join. Mr Instructor (you know who you are if you're reading this) talked me through the overhead join, and the RT. Very little wind meant that I was a little high at the turn to finals... I thought I'd be clever and try a bit of side slipping (I'd done it on my flight sim at home, but clearly had no idea how much HOOF was required), which entertained Mr Instructor no end, who briefly took control to demonstrate the required amount of HOOF and bank and we soon lost a couple of hundred feet, then he cleaned things up and let me fly down to the numbers for what felt like a nice touchdown on the main gear... job done... happy bunny!!!

I now climb out of the plane and my legs are no longer wobbly, and all I can think of is how soon I can afford my next mission!

A bacon butty then flying around in a near clear blue sky for an hour... you can't grumble for a friday morning!

The Fenland Flyer
12th Sep 2009, 15:10
I now climb out of the plane and my legs are no longer wobbly, and all I can think of is how soon I can afford my next mission!Yep, sounds like you're addicted to flying already :ok:

sandbagsteve
13th Sep 2009, 15:48
Fenland - yup. Yesterday was another landmark event for me... I'm sorry for rambling on in this thread, but hopefully if it encourages anyone else with social anxiety/ agoraphobia to fly then it's worth it...

I went to the airfield, armed with an egg custard to share amongst my new mates in the warm sun we enjoyed that day... As I arrived there was a young lad who was physically disabled who was just coming out of the flight school's hut - I wasn't sure if he had just been up in a microlight, or one of his parents, but just then a kind gent showed up and offered to take the kid up in his helli, for a few minutes of fun - for free! The kids face was a picture, and his parents were delighted, of course. I have to say, this really moved me and only reinforced my belief that flyers are, on the whole, a great bunch.

Then, the big moment for me came only moments before I was about to tootle back home when the owner of my flight school asked if I fancied taking the C42 I fly round to the fuel bay... Of course, I jumped at the chance (having only done 5hrs, any time in the cockpit is fun for me!)... I thought he was going to sit in with me, but when he passed me the key and said he'd meet me round the other side of the field, I can't explain the anticipation! This must sound really daft - but it's the first time I sat in there, started up, RT'd the tower and taxied all on my lonesome. Proud as punch I trundled along the main taxiway imagining how I would feel if only I was going straight on to the hold for RWY 34 for my first solo circuit... ahhhhhhh..... dream on stevie boy!!! Taxied back as well, and it was pretty congested outside the hangar so really had to think carefully about where to turn round and not losing any paint!

The trouble is, living only 4 miles from Wolverpenny airfield I'm constantly looking skyward at everything that comes past with a longing in my heart to be back up there!

sandbagsteve
23rd Oct 2009, 20:19
Completed my 9th hour today. Still plugging away in the C42, and am now enjoying the pleasures of circuit flying. Today was a bit mixed... had my appointment with GP this morning to get my self declaration medical done, and because of some previous anxiety problems, I ended up with a class 1 :(

Still hopefully if I can keep up my flying and finally conquer my anxiety then by the time I need to start thinking about my GST then I should be OK to get re-evaluated? One hopes! Feeling a bit despondent about it...

Anyway flying was fun today... My first time flying later in the day at Halfpenny Green, and through a little light drizzle, which was something new, and they switched on the lights for RWY16, so I got my first look at PAPIs and runway lighting for real, which was great. It was a little distracting at first, but at least it's not a precision runway, so not truly christmas-tree-like.

Officially did my first landings today (was part of the briefing), and really enjoyed it... Worst one was about 10feet off centreline, but the rest were pretty much on the money. I also found that flaring was a case of connecting my stick arm to the horizon... It was one of those "riding a bicycle" moments where the penny dropped and the amount of backpressure needed in the hold off suddenly seemed less of a mystery.

Really starting to feel more comfortable with the plane, and finding more brain capacity being freed up for thinking things like "which field would I go for if the engine were to expire". Even better is the fact the such thoughts don't compel my bladder to do summersaults any more - although I suspect if the engine WERE to expire....

All in all a very rewarding lesson, which more than offset the disappointing medical.

The Fenland Flyer
23rd Oct 2009, 22:14
Good to hear things are going well :ok: I wouldn't worry about the medical, it's not like you will be taking passengers for a while yet anyway, and I’m sure a discussion with you GP after you've had your license for a while should get it changed, if not time to change the GP!

It sounds like you're getting on better with landings than I did, took me ages to start to get the hang of them!

batninth
24th Oct 2009, 11:01
SandbagSteve,

...although I suspect if the engine WERE to expire...

I learnt to fly in a C42 (and would go back to one without a moments hesitation if the opportunity arose). I found that PFLs were a blast in it & enjoyed them tremendously. I'd suggest after doing that part of the syllabus then you'll probably feel different about even this bit.

Lew747
25th Oct 2009, 21:34
Since passing my PPL a couple of months back and since looking at a stripped down C152, I found it quite scary to think 'that is all thats keeping you in the air!!? :eek:' I must say I find it slightly un-easy flying over expanses of water or over urban area's more so now I have a better understanding of how an engine works and what could potentially go wrong. (When I was younger and learning to fly I didn't really think about it!) I suppose i'm being too nervous but sometimes I say to myself "if my engine fails now...i'm in the s**t!"

sandbagsteve
13th Nov 2009, 21:29
If my engine fails now, I'm in the sh1t is something thats passed through my mind on occasion. Now at 11hrs total (all say ooooohh!) and have started doing glide approaches. Mr instructor threw a curve ball at me the other day on our last touch and go of the day, and gave me a power failure after takeoff... Partly my fault really - he did ask me what I wanted to do on my last circuit of the day and I said (stupidly) "surprise me"... :eek:

Still, all good fun... Next lesson is going to be looking at more PFT drills, along with more circuit bashing (wind permitting, otherwise it will be nice to fly off somewhere for a bit of a jolly and maybe look at steep turns, unusual attitudes - oh joy!)

Reason for writing today though, is that I did my FRTOL written exam last week (which I'm embarrassed to admit I aced) and have my oral/practical test tomorrow - and frankly I'm more than a little anxious. I'm just wondering if the other students will be sitting about watching me goof, or if I'll be in a room on my own? I guess I'm just looking for some re-assurance it's not the gruelling ordeal I've built it up to be in my mind! (I sometimes wonder why I write these posts as my instructor always seems to find them and then takes the mickey next time I see him) :ok:

brickman
13th Nov 2009, 21:38
As predicted,just spotted,you will do the practical in a room on your own so as to simulate the RT used in a flight.Relax as much as you can,you will be fine.

The Fenland Flyer
13th Nov 2009, 21:51
on my last circuit of the day and I said (stupidly) "surprise me"... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gifNever say that to a flying instructor! ;)

sandbagsteve
13th Nov 2009, 22:19
Never say that to a flying instructor!

Yeah, I learnt that bit good and proper. I'll not say that again to brickman without the prescribed three weetabix.

I suppose it's a telling sign that I'm more anxious about fiddling with a make believe radio than I am actually jumping in a plane and flying... A few months ago I wouldn't have thought that would ever be the case... progress!

I better get some shut eye - want to be wide awake tomorrow morning!

IO540
14th Nov 2009, 08:05
I must say I find it slightly un-easy flying over expanses of water or over urban area's more so now I have a better understanding of how an engine works and what could potentially go wrong

The important thing in flying is to always have an escape route.

Over land, it is a forced landing.

Over water, you carry a raft. Without one, you will probably die of hypothermia before they find you. For me a no-raft means no-go over any water. So, get a raft and stop worrying :)

There are time windows when there are no escape routes, e.g. flight over dense forests, but these are normally short (in this part of Europe). Plus quite a few departure/arrival routes...

sandbagsteve
14th Nov 2009, 18:49
Living in land locked Midlands, I think it may be a while before I go over water... certainly a large enough body to warrant a raft - but wise words nonetheless.

Well, today's RT practical exam had me more anxious than the first time I ever went up in the plane. A few hours of briefing, and planning, and then it was off over the airfield to the little office containing a strange little box with a rotary knob (for channel selection) PTT button, and a well worn headset. Suddenly, all of the flight notes I had made seemed to take on an other worldly importance. "when you're ready, you can begin", came the examiners voice through the headset. gulp :}

Well, after flying about 150 virtual miles, passing through various MATZ, LARS, CTRs, getting a QDM, having an engine problem, and going around due to some charlie with his brakes jammed on my arrival runway, I was glad to hear "that concludes the test"... and even happier to find a few minutes later that I had passed.

Even better, my two fellow students also passed... Also, many thanks to Mr Andy Moon, who delivered an excellent course, to Stevie "Roger" Wilkes at Hadair.co.uk for hosting the course, and not least, Mrs Moon for the outstanding buffet provided on day one! :ok:

Just a handful of exams to go... I'm so happy to have got this far - the confidence boost is amazing... and is even having an effect on my non-flying life that I never expected. Can't wait to get airborne again to try out my new skills :)

batninth
15th Nov 2009, 13:43
..and going around due to some charlie with his brakes jammed on my arrival runway..

Was it the same charlie in a King Air who blocked the runway on my RT pratical? I suspect he flies around looking for folks taking the practical exam so he can try & fluster them near the end....:hmm:

Seriously, I've found that as a newbie on RT putting the same amount of prep into a real flight using a service as you did for the exam pays off in reduced workload until you have built up more experience. Also don't be scared doing it for real, most ATCOs are very helpful & friendly so the first real time is generally a lot easier (thanks guys at DTV!) than your mind would have you believe in advance.

Arclite01
17th Nov 2009, 08:31
Sandbag

I'm enjoying your thread - keep it going !!

Arc

sandbagsteve
17th Nov 2009, 21:50
hehe Batninth, I suspect this chap with the poorly maintained bird does indeed haunt the virtual airways to add a bit of interest...

To be honest, the unique and amusing accent employed by the examiner to portray this hapless aviator raised a smile - I might even have laughed out loud in the test booth. But it did succeed in testing one's quick thinking.

Arclite thanks for the encouragement. I am wary that the original title might just be serving to exclude me from ever achieving my goal of taking my dad up for a flight one day!

The truth is that I am now getting decidedly grouchy after not flying for nearly 2 weeks due to weather cancellations, :{ and can't wait to get airborne again. In fact I was meant to fly today but the 16G25 wind soon put paid to that! So I went to the airfield anyway, and completely on the spur of the moment decided to have a go at my Law exam... :ok:

Passed :) only got a couple wrong, and one of them I think was due to me having no clue as it wasn't in my revision materials. :ugh:

So... just three written papers to go :) and now I have all the bits of paper I need to fly my first solo. Although I expect I'm a few hours away from that yet.

sandbagsteve
20th Feb 2010, 15:10
Well, it's been a few weeks, or months since my last post here. As the title suggests, I have had a long struggle with sociophobia/agoraphobia throughout my life, which coupled with a burning desire to go and do things involving engines and speed has led to an interesting life full of challenges.

I recently reached 15hrs on my log book, so with all of the major exercises squared away, RT Exam, Law, HPL, and Aircraft Tech done and my medical done, it only really remained for me to go it alone.

I have been happily doing circuits with my trusty instructor for the past few hours, and even going out on a few little nav-ex's. However, today was a day for consoliadtion, so circuits it was...

After about 4 circuits, and making a couple of very minor boobs (trying to start her up with the mags off, and forgetting to call downwind until prompted by the kindly FISO) it became almost a farce to carry on going round in circles with two people in the plane.

Completely off the cuff I made the call "Golf India Yankee downwind 16 for full stop". I'm not entirely sure, but I could almost sense the thought bubble above my instructors head containing the words "Thank f**k he's made the decision!" So, after a reasonable landing, and taxiing to an unused bit of tarmac, we called the tower to let them know about a change of captain.

And then I was alone.... very alone.... My extra strong mint (normally my comforter in times of stress) just wasn't cutting it, and as my instructor's form shuffled off toward the tower to spectate the ensuing activities it seemed there was no other thing for it... Start'er up Steve!

I was quite pleased I remembered to use the Student prefix when I asked for info and taxi instructions, and even more pleased that I arrived at the correct holding point confident in having done my checks... twice - just to be sure. A deep breath, and then it was time to announce to the world I was ready to take one giant leap...

By the time I had released the brakes to line up, I had already forgotten the wind report, but the windsock was as limp as me after several pints so that didn't matter... and despite being very poor RT, I might have stated my love for my wife after confirming my departure to the tower...

Jeezzz!!! 100bph on the front of an Icarus C42 with 1 on board! I was past 400ft before I had chance to clean the flaps away. 1000 agl came up well before turning to downwind, so I found myself trying to fly level in a turn while trimming for speed - all very interesting. Downwind was a doddle - I might even have waggled the wings a little (too little for anyone to notice!) just to confirm to myself that this was all real and I was indeed in control!

And then after making my downwind call, the inevitable feelings of "hmmm... now I have to land this thing" started to invade my happy place. Well, to cut a long story short, I decided on just a single stage of flaps, and cruised in at a couple of knotts over the diamond on the ASI - Full of confidence after my "on rails" approach I touched the mains on the numbers.... then left them again for a few yards (arrgghh!!!!! I blame the lack of weight in the plane) and then sank gently down for what felt like the longest wheelie ever before the nosewheel sank... The FISO on duty provided a brief congrats with my return taxi instructions, and before long, I was back at the hangar shutting down.

After pouring myself out of the plane, and propping myself up for a photo (for some reason, my knees had completely gone on strike) we went for a walk up to the tower to say hello, and the FISO was kind enough to give me my flight strip as a memento (to go in a photo frame with pic of me leaning against the plane).

Sorry for such a long write up - but for anyone else out there whose self confidence is as bad as mine, please, please don't give up... I won't stay I'm no longer anxious about doing it all again, but I know next time will be a little easier. Flying is too magical a pursuit to give up!!!

A huge thank you to Hadair at EGBO, and Les my incredibly patient instructor for all of the encouragement :D

p.s. FLYING IS ACE!

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/stevesant/Flying/photo.jpg

Utfart
20th Feb 2010, 15:45
Fantastic! Congratulations. Feel Proud, enjoy the moment, and carry on! :D

Alan_D
20th Feb 2010, 21:47
Steve - congrats on the first solo, it's a very special moment.
I remember the 'I've got to land this thing, without help' feeling very well, and the relief of touching down!

Mine was last September, and I passed my GST 3 weeks ago, and now, with my new license in hand, took my son flying today. Never thought I'd be able to say that this time last year! :)

sandbagsteve
21st Feb 2010, 17:00
Must be great Alan... The young man (17ish) who introduced me to fixed wing microlighting just posted a video on youtube of his first flight taking his dad up for a ride a week or so after getting his nppl.

I really want to get through the rest so I can enjoy that magical days when I can take friends/family up for a bimble around the sky.

Posted this video of my last circuit before going solo (battery gave out and corrupted my solo flight vid arrrgghhh!!!)

YouTube - Ikarus C42 High Approach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYSjzFi11hY)

sandbagsteve
22nd Jan 2011, 21:04
This is more like a blog - but things have moved on... October 2010 saw me passing my GST!!! Since then I've enjoyed many happy hours flying solo, and with friends/family - what an amazing journey! ;) I'm just looking forward to a summer of dry grass strips and several adventures. I'll not post any more to this thread now - suffice to say I really hope it can encourage others who need a bit of a boost, to stick at it! :ok:

thing
23rd Jan 2011, 08:14
Kudos to you Steve for fighting your demons, it sounds like you're well on the way to kicking agorophobia in the rear end.

I'm like Martin, put me on some ladders and I definitely don't like it, put me in an aeroplane that I'm flying or copiloting and I feel completely at home. Having said that as a commercial passenger I hate it when on the takeoff/landing they put a bootful of rudder on the runway to keep straight, I always think we're heading for the grass. I also have an irrational fear of swimming in deep (deep as in oceanic depths) water. I'm fine if I know where the bottom is, even if it's a hundred feet below me. We are a strange species sometimes.