PDA

View Full Version : Thomson "Mayday" Emergency Descent

ducati1980
15th Aug 2009, 10:01
Yesterday at 13:20z a Thomson aircraft with the callsign "Thomson 90C" declared a "MAYDAY" in Brest airspace requesting "Emergency Descent" The controller initially cleared the aircraft to FL350, then after a request for further descent to FL250. The controller asked the nature of the emergency and the level requested. The aircraft announced a "Pressurisation faliure" and requested FL100. The aircraft then diverted initially for Paris Orly.

The Beer Hunter
15th Aug 2009, 11:42
The fact that this all appears to have passed off without anyone noticing suggests that the crew dealt with it professionally and without drama, surely we can do the same?

A non-story as far as I can see. Well done the crew but do we (or they) need it in here?

Cityliner
15th Aug 2009, 11:44
We heard them too. The pilot seemed to be quite relaxed considered being in an emergency descent. As there are no big headlines today everything must have worked good.
Quite a shocker when you here someone declaring emergency and asking for emer descent!

p7lot
15th Aug 2009, 11:48
And I would argue its a rumour or news so keep the posts coming and pay no heed to post 2

Avitor
15th Aug 2009, 11:48
The fact that this all appears to have passed off without anyone noticing suggests that the crew dealt with it professionally and without drama, surely we can do the same?

A non-story as far as I can see. Well done the crew but do we (or they) need it in here?

Why not for goodness sake?

kotakota
15th Aug 2009, 11:58
FYI when the words 'Mayday ' and 'Emergency Descent ' are used on R/T it is a statement of intent NOT a request .

The Beer Hunter
15th Aug 2009, 12:04
The answer's in my first post. T'aint that difficult really.

YoDawg
15th Aug 2009, 12:08
"MAYDAY"
...requesting "Emergency Descent"
....initially cleared ...to FL350
...request for further descent to FL250.
...The aircraft announced a "Pressurisation faliure" and
...requested FL100

Request??? Are you sure you have it correct? Who "requests" an emergency descent?

Maybe it was only a slow leak and the guys felt they had the time to take a few precautions with the descent. That could explain the lack of news coverage but not the MAYDAY.

Or maybe the thread starter hasn't reported it accurately here. That'd be a first! So many conclusions to jump to, so much baseless speculation to put forward... where're all the walts, wannabes and armchair drivers?

Scratch Pad
15th Aug 2009, 12:22
YoDawg has it nailed. Failing a sudden outbreak of facts showing this to be anything other than the non-event perhaps this thread belongs in the spotter forum where people can speculate to their hearts content using words like 'hurtle' and 'dive' :rolleyes:

TallDutch
15th Aug 2009, 12:59
I guess the bottomline is that the plane landed safely, or not?

simonchowder
15th Aug 2009, 13:15
I think it must have done dutch, had it ended up in a smoking hole im sure we would have heard something about by now