PDA

View Full Version : pilot training in latin america

guyguri
14th Aug 2009, 17:13
Hi all
I have an a US FAA PPL and instrument rating and about 160 hours
I've got in trouble with the us immigration, so I can't go back
I'm looking for good place in Latin America to complete my pilot training for CPL and multi engine and to build hours on multi for cheap
Argentina looks pretty good but the theory exams are in Spanish
Do any one knows good cheap place with the possibility to take the exams in English?

I appreciate all the help I could get

Guy
:ok:

enrique757
15th Aug 2009, 23:37
Most latin american countries require you to FIRST get their private pilot license before getting commercial with instrument priviliges. In my country, Honduras, I had to take tests which were in spanish even though english is universal language for aviation. To get commercial license you need to be a citizen of the country, at least in Honduras and a couple others I have read.

Immigrant
16th Aug 2009, 13:44
Argentina would be my best choice...:ok:

raydux
16th Aug 2009, 14:00
I not sure why you would be preferring to do your training in Latin America which is not cheap, But then flying isn't "cheap" anywhere you go. Places that COULD be cheap due to cheap fuel, charge whopping fees for landing, airspace use, and even having people on the apron.
I almost went to South Africa to do my training but didn't because we don't have an Embassy here at my location.:sad:
The prices are not that much different with the USA and is much less than most of Europe.
Maybe you should think about doing it there since you don't speak spanish, which is a must in Latin America.

winguru
16th Aug 2009, 21:51
Im going to hour building in Argentina, mostly 182 wich is very cheap, and intend to cross to chile, flying trough patagonian mountains.

Im planing to go on setember, im from portugal but i did my PPL and some hours in Brasil, speak english, spanish and portuguese.

So if want to come, i could use someone to rent the plane with me.

varigflier
17th Aug 2009, 05:22
You should also look at Canada. They do a good job with flight training as well.

Panama Jack
17th Aug 2009, 08:27
Latin America is not a very attractive destination for flight training, for the reasons mentioned above.

Here in the Middle East, most of the people either go to Canada (not cheaper than the USA), the Philippines, Jordan or Malaysia for "cheap" flight training and to get around the INS and TSA issues that have become a liability for the US aviation industry.

MartinCh
17th Aug 2009, 14:41
Doh, 'falling out with USCIS'? Now that requires a talent (considering you had visa before). As long as it's not with TSA, so that you could in theory do FAA CPL out of country.

I'm probably going to South Africa next summer for couple months of flying. My case is different. Rotary flying is damn expensive everywhere, but the little extra with current exchange rates more than covers savings on living costs and no visa/SEVIS/TSA/application fees and charges crap. They doubled some of those over past year. It's also interesting place to stay for some time, if not longer :-D
Also, gliding pilot in heart, finally after solo.

I did research Philippines for flight training and fixed wing isn't that bad. You can also find a school or two with in Thailand with comparable prices to the US, but less for instructor, of course. Canadian rates, ehm, with USD:CND (or CDN?) almost on par, no thanks. Not cheap. Maybe with rates from 12 years ago.

I'm looking forward to some fixed wing and gliding flying in Latin America later on, but as others said, Spanish is a must. While all world wants to learn aviation English, I'd rather have my espanol de aviacion better. :uhoh:

lucky you, winguru, I wouldn't mind speaking Portuguese (for flying) as well. They do have bunch of 'Boeros there as well. My heart wants to fly to Baires and onwards this September, but can't. There's one club in Miramar with Stearman and one in Chile or close to, with old T-34 Mentor. Fun vintage aircraft to try out.

All in all, for English speaker only (not counting minor language), I'd suggest South Africa, Australia or NZ, with SA and NZ probably the 'best' after the US.

greenno
20th Aug 2009, 10:36
I suggest you stay in USA, but if you want come to Spain you need start again to get a JAA licence.

If you come here try in Gestair Fly Academy | Formación Aeronáutica - Formación de Pilotos - España y Portugal (http://www.gestair.com/aviation-training/es?gclid=CM2r_bSEspwCFc0B4wod318WnA), Topfly www.topfly.com (http://www.topfly.com) , Adventia www.adventia.es (http://www.adventia.es),
FTE Jerez Flight Training School (http://www.ftejerez.com/index.php)

No problem if you don't speak spanish

Are a few expensive but are very serious.

Good luck in your decision

PatagonianProud
20th Aug 2009, 20:33
hello my 2 cents
i did my ppl in argentina but couldnt get a cpl because you NEED to have a high school certificate from Argentina or a country which has agreement i.e. chile, paraguay etc... the usa does not so i was out of luck. i went to uruguay and they didnt care about the high school requirement but you have to be a CITIZEN to get a cpl ! in chile the license is VERY expensive a medical can cost $600 US dollars (original) and the license expires with the medical so you need to go to Santiago every 6 months to renew medical 1 and pay another 25 bucks to renew license and again only 1 place in chile to renew all ... Santiago. Back to Argentina its still cheap and a medical for cpl is just $30 (compare to chile blahhh). In Canada no hassles with paperwork but a C152 rents for about 110 an hour plus 50 to 60 an hour more for instructor. I suggest you go to Argentina get your hours and then come to canada and just take the written tests, CPL $105 Instrument $35
and then do the flight test about $250. License CPL is $80 and $30 more for Instrument rating. Medical 1 original cost me $125 with ecg and audio test (did it 2 days ago) and Radio license was free and so was exam. good luck !! btw for every 1 argentinian living in chile there are 19 chileans living in argentina (per capita)

leondelfierro
21st Aug 2009, 05:21
The Chilean Class 1 Medical Certificate cost U$D 180 did mine in April... Commercial License renewal is every 1 year if you are under 40 years Old... and Every 6 Months if you are up to 40 Years Old or ATPL.

I know from a friend that in Argentina, Flight School Owners are quite nasty about giving away proper flying hours certificates or stamping your logbook when you leave before he wants you to go.

Anyway the Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego is quite a good place to learn to fly, very challenging. And since its qualify as an isolated zone or something like that, Fuel price receive Subsidy from Argie Government, so is quite low compared to Chile and the rest of Argentina.

Make sure to visit Ushuaia and make a stop in Tolhuin, Best facturitas in Argentina, and pay a visit to the Falklands via scheduled flight though, very interesting place too, in the Chilean Side don't forget to Overflight Torres del Paine... Amazing one that!...

muduckace
22nd Aug 2009, 06:12
Not participating as a pilot, but having been to B.A. and Santiago. I have always dreamed of seeing the lands south of these cities. I flew over the Andes from B.A. to Santiago countless times, but every time I whole heartedly admired the majesty of that mountain range respecting the harshness of the environment below.

The only trip I flew just a few times that compared was from Manaus to Lima, over Lapaz, Lake Titicaca and the arid Andes between, I remember looking down at the mountains and seeing roads cut into them.. I could not imagine transversing this terrain.

MartinCh
26th Aug 2009, 01:56
PP i did my ppl in argentina but couldnt get a cpl because you NEED to have a high school certificate from Argentina or a country which has agreement i.e. chile, paraguay etc... the usa does not so i was out of luck. i went to uruguay and they didnt care about the high school requirement but you have to be a CITIZEN to get a cpl !

Good to know. Some flimsy European secondary education (not Spanish) probably wouldn't do either. Haven't checked that myself. Anyway, not sure I'd be able to crack all the air law stuff at CPL level to do it.
From my online research of some study materials I downloaded some RAVs and Q&A for the tests for PPL/CPL exams in Venezuela.

Bolivia has one school called SkyTeam (and funky paint jobs on their Cessnas), reasonable pricing, maybe not such hassle as Arg, Uruguay etc.
Anyway, that's my plan, doing some fun PPL training, XC flying, gliding, then doing FAA papers, since I'd need them later on anyway.
Just finding enough time for heading over :(

LDF, I've picked couple schools/clubs further North in Argentina, but surely will stop by South, if not part of some great XC trip, at least to check out some gliding clubs, rent a plane in Ushuaia etc. This requires timing thanks to seasons, though..

cavok_italy
18th Sep 2009, 07:16
What about Colombia guys?

JhonnyAventura
23rd Mar 2017, 00:48
OK.. lets be clear... any part of south america is FFA related, exams and material, but you need to speak Spanish, the test can be English and any ATC speak both.
The cheapest is Bolivia, the fuel is pay half by the government, and you can flight one hour in a Cessna 152 for 70 american dollars, gas and instructor included.
Canada is expensive as much agentina, colombia, brasil and chile.
I had my Bolivian PPL for 3000 dollars with good food, party times and nice time, and I convert to a canadian PPL for 57 Dollars,
The price to get your PPL in canada, around 15.000
but don't get me wrong, 70 $ hour in bolivia is the cheapest, you go to Flying Academy in Cochabamba-Bolivia, and is like any other country and the airplanes are fully IFR with latest models... price to fly or price to learn?