PDA

View Full Version : Ab-Initio training on Taildraggers

cambioso
14th Aug 2009, 14:04
Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine (no honestly!!) wants to do a residential 4-6 week PPL course but only on tailwheel aircraft.
I advised him that he was unlikely to find the combination of a suitable aircraft, a suitable (and available!) instructor, and above all else, suitable weather within the shores of the UK.
I suggested that he might look to the USA for this, an FAA or JAA PPL would be sufficient (he only wants to fly privately).
Has anyone any reccomendations for a good tailwheel flight school in the US (or anywhere else)?
His money is ready, and he's raring to go!!
Thanks in anticipation,
Jez

S-Works
14th Aug 2009, 14:08
There are plenty of schools in the UK that can teach ab-intio on Tailwheel. Clacton, Cambridge, The Tiger Club, Sibson. That's just to name a few!

fisbangwollop
14th Aug 2009, 19:22
Leading Edge flying Club at Cumbernauld......Super Decathlon???:ok:

Not missing the ATC Jez???

Ultranomad
14th Aug 2009, 19:53
In Czech Republic, just about every school or club has a Zlin 226 (or 126, or 326) in the back of the hangar. Currently, the least expensive is a Z126 at LKPS at £97 per hour (wet rental, instruction may be extra).

NigelOnDraft
14th Aug 2009, 20:07
Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/) on the Chipmunk... Some Ab-Initio PPL courses going on there right now on the Chippy :ok:

NoD

cambioso
14th Aug 2009, 21:27
Thanks for the prompt replies guys, but it's deffo a requirement for a 4-6 week residential type course with weather, instructors, and a/c to match!!!
I know of most of the UK suggestions, (except Cumbernauld, Fis - and yes I miss ATC soooooo much...............Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaht!!)
I'm sorry to say that I just don't think that (with the best will in the world) the UK can tick all of the boxes.
Nope, it's got to be abroad I guess............................
Anyone know anywhere?
Thanks,
Jez

Ultranomad
14th Aug 2009, 21:59
cambioso, speaking of Czech Republic again, most clubs have some accommodations right at the airfield. As to the weather, this may indeed be a problem anywhere in Europe :eek:

n5296s
14th Aug 2009, 22:25
Attitude Aviation in Livermore (near San Francisco), CA, certainly fits the bill. However they're a Part 61 operation, and I doubt that they would do the necessary visa stuff (though maybe they would, it's worth asking).

I think you'll have trouble finding a Part 141 operation, which is typically the ones who deal with the visas, that will do tailwheel training.

n5296s

bsmasher
14th Aug 2009, 22:58
A bit further afield:- Curtis aviation , Camden near Sydney have a good selection of taildraggers and I'm pretty sure they will do ab-initio on them.
Its Australia so the weather is lovely one day, perfect the next!.

tacpot
14th Aug 2009, 23:22
With three Citabrias, your friend have some protection from technical problems affecting a single aircraft. If you are doing an intensive course, the last thing you want is the one taildragger aircraft the school has going tech or having to go in for its annual.