PDA

View Full Version : CF6 Spinner De-icing/Anti Icing

NSEU
14th Aug 2009, 03:43
Is there such a thing?

I started looking through the 744 AMM, but it's needle-in-haystack stuff, even with wordsearch.

The RB211 has that rubber nosecone which sheds ice and I've read that its overall conical shape also helps stop the build up of ice.

There is also mention of a coneliptical shape on some spinners which combine the advantages of cone shaped spinners and spinners which deflect air hitting the cone away from the core inlet.

Does the CF6 prevent icing by shape and/or by, say, a bleed air system?

Thanks.
Rgds.
NSEU

gas path
14th Aug 2009, 18:05
The CF6 is 'cone elliptical' in shape and that is the method used to deter ice formation. (my notes say by 'aerodynamic design')
The RB211 as you point out has the rubber tit! which by design would 'wobble', and shed any ice should it attempt to form as it gets out of balance.
JFI if that rubber tit is missing it's a 'No dispatch'.
The last of the original big fan engines with spinner core A/I was the RB211b2 and c2 that had hot air fed through the LP shaft that exited through the spinner cap. :8

NSEU
15th Aug 2009, 00:26
Excellent info,
Thanks GP : )

h3dxb
15th Aug 2009, 04:01
The RB211 as you point out has the rubber tit! which by design would 'wobble', and shed any ice should it attempt to form as it gets out of balance.
JFI if that rubber tit is missing it's a 'No dispatch'.

Gents

It is a common misunderstanding, that a missing rubber tip is a NOGO.

AMM for RB221 TR700

Subtask 72-35-41-220-050- 0
A.
Examine the air intake fairing/spinner.

(1)
Examine the rubber tip.

(a)
If the rubber tip is not there, accept if:

The spinner is replaced before 5 flights

Rgds

gas path
15th Aug 2009, 08:01
h3dxb

I don't think that is permitted for the RB211-524G or H (or indeed the RB211-524 D4). In our manuals at least!
BUT I will check:hmm:
brgds :8
Having said that IF it is allowable for (even) 5 flights with flight into known icing conditions, it begs the question, 'is it really required?':confused:

h3dxb
15th Aug 2009, 12:00
GASPATH
had a lot of discussion during my time as instructor. But no MEL no CDL and no AMM statement........:eek:

Have a safe one :ok:

BTW no icing on GRD at DXB :}

Spanner Turner
15th Aug 2009, 23:37
This is from maint manual for the RB211-524D4 - instant reject for tip damage or loss of bond!

Silastic rubber tip.
(a) Any loss of bond between rubber tip and spinner. Reject.
(b) Loss of rubber tip. Repair in accordance with FRS.4600 (Ref
72-31-03, Approved Repairs).
(c) Loss of filler, provided bond between rubber tip and spinner
is unaffected. Accept.

:ok:

As for the original question - there's no "specific" de/anti-icing feature for a CF6 spinner - just it's design stops the formation of ice.

mitzy69
18th Aug 2009, 10:20
from memory the shape of the CF6 spinner, deflected F.O.D. and birds away from the inlet to the N1 compressor and down the bye pass duct.
I think the spinner was anti iced by breather air going into the spinner and then down the inside of N1 shaft to exhaust at the very back end.