PDA

View Full Version : Shoreham RAFA show 2009. Photography.

skridlov
13th Aug 2009, 21:02
I've just been taking some snaps of a couple of aircraft (Hurricane, Spitfire) practicing for the 2009 show. I've always watched from Mill Hill in previous years but this year I'd like to attend and take some photographs. Flying photography, whether birds or aircraft, is not something that I've got a lot of experience of so has anyone on PPRUNE done any photography there before who could advise? - not so much on technique, as I have some idea about that (if lacking practical experience) but of, for example, where the best locations are for shooting the displays. Obviously this is going to be a function of the weather to some extent, but... Anyway, suggestions would be welcomed.

BTW I have acquired a Sigma 150-500 ("Stigma") recently. Not coincidental.

Synthetic
13th Aug 2009, 21:26
Shoreham will be my first attempt at at serious dslr photography. I have been practising on the local seaguls and at the model aircraft club where I used to fly. One thing I have had some success with is rather that part depressing the shutter release and allowing the camera to focus, I fully depress it so as soon as the focus is good, the picture is taken. Continuous AF doesn't seem particularly good on fast moving objects.

I too have the 150-500 and find it is capable of taking a good picture, but not wide open at 500mm. I try to stick to F10 or smaller.

Ridge Runner
14th Aug 2009, 06:25
Hi Synthetic and Skridlov, Shoreham is excellent in many ways. For photography it is perfect in terms of sun position although, of course, it changes during the day. However you still have the ability to shoot in good light through the whole day. Here are two examples from last year which were taken from the end of the spectators area beside the runway. The best place I think on balance. They are pretty much as I took them without much cropping. These were taken with Tamron 200-500 (on a tired Nikon D70), and at 500mm, and so should be comparable to your lenses. What camera are you using Synthetic? You've got it on AF-C? I hope this helps. RRhttp://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/peach38336/ppruneDSC_9257PS.jpg
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/peach38336/ppruneDSC_9417PS.jpg

skridlov
14th Aug 2009, 16:59
Thanks for the responses so far.
The temptation with any one-off event is that I can never bear to leave anything behind, so lugging a backpack full of gear about detracts somewhat from just enjoying the show. However if I leave anything behind it'll be the very thing I wish I'd taken. I do quite a lot of panoramic stuff (both VR 360s and regular wide panos) so I may take a tripod and pano head too - there maybe a nice pano to be done of the static displays. I am going to have to buy tickets for both my ladyfriend and her overseas guest as a way of distributing the load somewhat... Better not show them what they're going to have to carry until the last moment.
RR, are your shots cropped? Very tight even for a crop-sensor body at 500mm!

Wing walker biplanes are practising today.

Roy

Ridge Runner
14th Aug 2009, 19:44
Hi Skridlov, Yes, cropped a little but not a lot. You can really get close with a 500mm! Good luck! I wentto Shoreham today - actually to Mill Hill to shoot butterflies but it was very murky! I saw the Stearmen(!) but thet weren't flying. RR

skridlov
14th Aug 2009, 19:48
Off topic but there are more butterflies this year than I can recall seeing for many years. Still a fraction of the numbers back in the 60's however...

Ridge Runner
14th Aug 2009, 19:53
Hi again Skridlov, Here is the original, un-touched, of the Stearman. I re-sized it for the post only. As you can see it is barely cropped. RRhttp://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/peach38336/DSC_9257original-resized.jpg

Ridge Runner
14th Aug 2009, 19:56
Yes,there are. I read once that there is an approximate seven-year cycle to this. The last time, 2002, there was a huge influx of hummingbird hawkmoths. This year, as you may have seen on the news, there has been a massive flood of painted Lady butterflies. Millions arrived earlier in the year, have breed and laid and the second brood is now on the wing. Clayton mills, for example, has a lot! RR

Synthetic
14th Aug 2009, 22:40
Hi Guys.

Nice pictures RR.:)

I'm the token Pentaxian (K20d). I went to the shop determined to buy an Olympus having had an OM1 for many years and finding it fairly "Synthproof", but when I got my paws on the K20, it just felt right.

I know what you mean about the rucksack:rolleyes: I am planning to take the 150-500 and 16-50 one day and the 60-250, 300 and 16-50 the other day.

As I said, my initial impressions of AFC were not good.

One of my practice attempts -

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc222/Oggy3323/4-1.jpg

Ridge Runner
16th Aug 2009, 19:19
Hi Synthetic, I went from an OM1 too. In fact I still have it and it works great. I used to use it with a Vivitar 70-205mm. A fantastic combination. I like your Dr1 shot. I'm not so sure that you're still practicing! Good luck at the weekend. I've opted for Duxford this year rather than Shoreham for a change. Let's see how it works out. RR