PDA

View Full Version : Adobe AIR problem

tony draper
13th Aug 2009, 20:57
Dunno exactly what adobe AIR does but I have a problem with it,something to do with BBC iplayer,when I try and download a HD program,it tells me to download Adobe AIR,did that yonks ago,anyway I downloaded it again and the new installer tells me a file is corrupted and to delete the previous install,trouble is I cannot, when I try to uninstall it with the add remove thingy in the control panel the machine freezes and I have to reboot,
Any ideas what is up chaps?
:confused:

green granite
13th Aug 2009, 21:29
AIR is intended to be a versatile runtime environment, as it allows existing Flash, Actionscript or HTML and JavaScript code to be used to construct a more traditional desktop-like program. Adobe positions it as a browser-less runtime for rich Internet applications that can be deployed onto the desktop, rather than a fully-fledged application framework. The differences between each deployment paradigm provides both advantages and disadvantages. For example, a rich internet application deployed in a browser does not require installation, while one deployed with AIR requires the application be packaged, digitally signed, and installed to the user's local file system. However, this provides access to local storage and file systems, while browser-deployed applications are more limited in where and how data are accessed and stored.[7] In most cases, rich internet applications store users' data on their own servers, but the ability to consume and work with data on a user's local file system allows for greater flexibility.

Adobe AIR 1.1 was released on June 16, 2008, and provides support for building internationalized applications. Runtime installation dialogs were localized to Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian and Spanish. In addition, version 1.1 includes support for Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and 64-bit editions of Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise.[8]

I find the whole Iplayer thing a mess frankly. if I open the Iplayer desktop and go to look for a programme it offers me the streaming screen but when I click on download it say I need to install the desk top. :ugh::ugh:

All I can suggest is from the command prompt navigate to the air directory CD\ etc (you may need to do a search to find it) and then type “AdobeAIRInstaller.exe -uninstall” and run it.

tony draper
13th Aug 2009, 21:45
Right I have the problem myself solved,just deleted the BBCI player destop and reloaded same,odd thing the Adobe AIR thing had its own uninstal thing on the add remove progs but as I said it would not let me do it,err hold on one might be being a bit previous here, I am at the moment downloading a HD prog to the iplayer desktop berra wait and see what happens first,at least it is downloading now,fingers crossed.
I could download and play normal definition progs twer just the HD stuff it would not download,though I could play them streamed no probs
Thanks anyway Mr G,
If'n it is still buggad one shall be back.
:)

tony draper
13th Aug 2009, 21:54
Right it downloaded and the HD looks spiffing on me 22" ProNitron 21/750 Formac, proper CRT monitor.
:ok:
Thanks for the help peeps

Keef
14th Aug 2009, 00:08
Adobe AIR snuck onto both my machines - I think when I installed Acrobat Reader.

I have a very simple approach to software that installs without my say-so. It comes straight OFF again. Air did. So did some other Adobe thing that appeared around the same time.

There have been a crop of "useful toolbars" that have been snuck in the same way - and have gone out again.