PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray. Wow.

Sprogget
13th Aug 2009, 19:04
I've just installed an LG Blu Ray drive in the box. I thought DVD's were impressive quality. This Blu Ray technology is something else. Absolute crystal sharp clarity.

I like this very much.

Evanelpus
14th Aug 2009, 08:40
To a certain extent I agree.

New films on Blu Ray are excellent but I've found that older films that are introduced as Blu ray films leave a lot to be disired. I recently bought Top Gun in Blu Ray and, to be honest, my DVD copy was better.

Loose rivets
14th Aug 2009, 15:42
I got compensated for my poor old Sony with a-new-this-year Samsung 120 hz.

At first, I thought the DVD and low def. pictures were very disappointing, but following the advice of folk on this and other forums, I ended up with various 'clever' devices turned firmly OFF and was stunned how much better it was.

My 'Up Convert' player can be very, very good with a well made DVD - It just goes to show how easily the human brain can be deceived.

I took quite a lot of advice before choosing my free replacement. Going from Sony was quite a wrench after 30+ years of using and indeed selling, Trinitron technology.

Jimmy Macintosh
14th Aug 2009, 18:06
That's a very good point about the movies.

It's not the age of the movie that is the issue though as Casablanca is phenomenal for image quality. Just a lot of studios do rubbish transfers. Not wanting to promote another website, but it doesn't gain them anything http://www.hidefdigest.com review hi def movies, not only on the film but also on the video and audio quality, very helpful as they do sometimes state that the DVD is the same quality so not worth wasting money on the Blu ray version.

Any movie with video quality 3 stars or less is not worth having on Blu ray, likewise the audio.

Aerouk
14th Aug 2009, 19:16
Too expensive though, not sure the quality is worth an extra £10-15

Sprogget
14th Aug 2009, 22:48
Along with the drive, I bought a copy of Apocalypto. Besides being bowled over with the quality, my strong advice is to avoid the soanve plant on your genitals.:eek: