PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet base @ Rome FCO

A319-100
13th Aug 2009, 12:51
Firstly excuse me posting in english on the Italian forum but as of yet my Italiano is not the best. Easyjet are opening a base in Rome FCO in November 2009. I am thinking about requesting a transfer. I was just wondering does anyone have any experience working out of fiumicino. What is it like, many delays, ATC etc.

Also I am very interested in places to live. I will be with wife and young kid, enjoy the outdoors, good weather, love the water (sea or lake), good food and not too far away from civilisation. For those of you who take the time to reply, Grazie.

Regards

azdriver
13th Aug 2009, 13:54
ATC it's totally nonsense in FCO, as simple as that. They have no clue of they are doing...

Saluti
azdriver

main_dog
13th Aug 2009, 23:02
I didn't know EZ were opening a FCO base? You'll be inundated with applications!

Rome will drive you nuts in many ways: yes, ATC can be dodgy, road traffic in and around Rome is a nightmare, getting anything done (internet/phone connected) can take eons and requires the patience of a buddhist monk,

HOWEVER

The weather is great (FCO is especially blessed, with no obstacles and great WX) and the food is wonderful. You can choose to live near the sea (up by Santa Marinella prices are reasonable and the sea is nice, and you're about 30-45 min from the airport and little more from the centre of town), or by the lake (Bracciano and Martignano both nice, reasonably priced and about the same distance), or even in Rome which is still the most beautiful city on earth (con buona pace di tutti i non-romani :} ).

The people, while sometimes a little "rough around the edges" are usually very friendly to foreigners, especially if you try to make an effort and speak even just a little Italian. I miss the FCO base I had in my previous airline :{

I envy you mate :ok:

Screwballs
14th Aug 2009, 18:16
main dog,

Thank you for your reply. I take it Ostia and the town of Fiumicino are not the most ideal places to live? Any chance you could give a ballpark figure of what it's like to rent in Santa Marinella?

Thanks again for your help,

Screwballs

main_dog
14th Aug 2009, 23:57
Personally, not my cup of tea, but do take a look around, some guys like it. At this point however I would (in fact I do) live in town somewhere near a station on the train line to the airport.

I don't know what rents go for in S. Marinella, but I do know they will be cheaper than Rome. I would suggest you could get something quite decent for 1000 or so a month, but that's just a guess. It is a pleasant area, and just off the Aurelia which takes you straight to the airport. It is traditionally a "summer beach house" place for Romans, a bit sleepy the rest of the year.

How many aircraft will EZ be basing in FCO?

MD

A319-100
15th Aug 2009, 10:19
check PM's

Screwballs
16th Aug 2009, 17:04
As far as I know, four A319s are going in for the first wave. But more to follow I would imagine. We get the mushroom treatment in the big Orange Empire - keep them in the dark and feed 'em sh*t! Potentially as big as MXP for us.

Thanks for your information!

Screwballs

flareflyer
17th Aug 2009, 08:04
How many a/c are based in MXP and what is the ratio crew/aircraft?

I really wish tha FCO could grow as a base...........maybe they will start hiring............

Flare

taita
17th Aug 2009, 08:08
take a look in Casalpalocco 15 minutes southest of FCO, nice place to live with a family. international populated (fao, nato, embassy employee, etc).
close to eur area, close to sea. Price for housing a little bit higher but it's worthy. believe me.:ok: