PDA

View Full Version : Mobile broadband around Scotland

747 jock
13th Aug 2009, 12:15
Later this year I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time around Aberdeen, Glasgow and Perth, and I will be getting a mobile broadband "dongle" to plug into my laptop.

I've checked out the signal coverage maps supplied by the main mobile operators and they all show that these 3 areas have full signal strength, (but I doubt if they would admit it if the signal was actually crap), and I was hoping that someone from Scotland could actually advise me as to which provider they would recommend.

It's probably down to either Vodaphone and 02 as I've heard that Orange is pretty poor, and 3 is almost non existent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aerouk
13th Aug 2009, 13:04
Vodafone and O2 are pretty similar in coverage around Scotland although I believe Vodafone have the fastest HSDPA network but with O2 you get access to BTOpenzone and The Cloud wifi areas.

They are both really good, just deppends on pricing really.

747 jock
15th Aug 2009, 22:18
Thanks Aero,

Next time I'm in the UK, I'll have a look at the 2 companies and see how the prices compare.
I only want a PAYG service, so I doubt if there will be much in the way of price differences between them.

Keef
16th Aug 2009, 00:18
There is supposed to be a map showing coverage across the UK, by provider. It's prepared by Ofcom, but I understand that for some reason it's state secret and ordinary punters aren't allowed to see it.

My limited experience in Scotland is that O2 and Voda are pretty comparable, and the others not as widespread. Three is usually the least likely to give a signal.

You should be OK in towns, but out in the wilds/mountains/glens you'll be lucky to get a signal from any of them.

jimtherev
16th Aug 2009, 19:05
There is supposed to be a map showing coverage across the UK, by provider. It's prepared by Ofcom, but I understand that for some reason it's state secret and ordinary punters aren't allowed to see it.

Did you mean this one?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

Jim

Jofm5
16th Aug 2009, 19:15
Or maybe this one: -

http://www.techdigest.tv/assets_c/2009/01/uk-network-coverage-thumb-400x324-73334.jpg

5711N0205W
16th Aug 2009, 21:00
Aberdeen, Glasgow and Perth, should be much of a muchness, up here near Aberdeen Orange and Vodaphone probably give as good coverage as any.

Typically as those maps show the nearer you are to centres of population or trunk roads the better the coverage.

Stray a little bit into the wilderness and it doesn't take long for mobile broadband to become more of an idea than a reality.

Phill
20th Aug 2009, 20:06
For what it's worth, further North in the Highlands Vodafone seems to be fine for broadband (and phone also).

I can only assume the phone/broadband coverage will be comparable and if so I found O2 to be very patchy for GPRS coverage, i.e. nothing to full signal to nothing again whilst being stationary.

Having said that a neighbour who permanently uses vodafone broadband, as he's too far from the phone line for an economical connection from BT (c£8K), is convinced that his connection slows down when it's not windy! :confused:

jimtherev
20th Aug 2009, 20:56
For what it's worth, further North in the Highlands Vodafone seems to be fine for broadband (and phone also).

...a neighbour who permanently uses vodafone broadband, as he's too far from the phone line for an economical connection from BT (c£8K), is convinced that his connection slows down when it's not windy! :confused:

Not very often in Scotland, then? :)

Keef
20th Aug 2009, 23:11
Did you mean this one?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

Jim

That gives a blank page on my PC, so yes, I think so.

I was trying to get the coverage map for the street where we live. Nope, only a coarse blobby thing that gives no real indication.

EDIT: I can't see the maps, but I can see the footnotes on that site:

The coverage maps are based on theoretical predictions and were used as an intermediate step for Ofcom establishing the operators compliance with their 3G licence rollout obligations. A summary of the assumptions used to generate the maps is provided in the technical notes below (for the full details see our consultation and statement on assessing compliance with the 3G rollout obligations: 3G Rollout obligations | Ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/3g_rollout/)). They only provide a snapshot of the extent of network coverage achieved by the operators at 31/12/2008 against the relevant coverage threshold.

The maps are provided without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.

So very useful, then!

jimtherev
21st Aug 2009, 09:48
That gives a blank page on my PC, so yes, I think so.

I was trying to get the coverage map for the street where we live. Nope, only a coarse blobby thing that gives no real indication.

EDIT: I can't see the maps, but I can see the footnotes on that site:

So very useful, then!

Strange! I get a 10-page pdf... and that's using the reviled IE!
However, yes, 'coarse blobby thing' describes the maps fairly well - but the original question was a sort of coarse blobby question, which I guess has been answered fairly well by the other posts in this thread - i.e. 'you may get a good signal if you stay where there are a few people living' :)