PDA

View Full Version : British Pathe - A Treasure House

Blacksheep
13th Aug 2009, 08:02
I found this website while searching for info on my Dad's old ships. Use the search function and it comes up with all manner of treasure.

For example, here's a sample of Hawker Hunters (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=39048)...

Brit312
13th Aug 2009, 10:26
I wish you had not found this site as now I am in trouble again with "her In doors" for sitting here for hours watching films about old aircraft AGAIN.

A good find and thanks for posting it

nacluv
13th Aug 2009, 11:16
Ditto that. Bang goes another otherwise productive day!!

Thanks, Blacksheep. :ok:

BOAC
13th Aug 2009, 12:41
You have to chuckle at the 'Day Fighter' contributing to 'better night-time defence than any country in the world'.

Great find, BS! Some great early Arrows stuff.

BEagle
13th Aug 2009, 16:08
And how nice to hear English being spoken correctly, rather than the rubbish one hears on BBC these days...

Innit.

diesel addict
13th Aug 2009, 16:19
Beagle -

Hear, hear - even Radio Three is infected with tender-aged announcers who have not yet learned how to breathe !!

Apology for thread drift.

Noah Zark.
13th Aug 2009, 19:36
Some brilliant clips of Lightnings, Hunters, etc. But, who are the old men flying them?
(Only a josh, and with the greatest respect, and a twinge of jealousy!)

S'land
13th Aug 2009, 21:15
This is just not fair. First a link to Public Information films and now British Pathé. Some of have work you know and should not spend all of our time looking at aircraft films.

Thanks for the link.

Blacksheep
14th Aug 2009, 07:30
Just stumbled upon myself on there, playing in the No 1 Group Pipe Band at Scampton during the 50th anniversary. There's an excellent close-up of our Officer I/C, Ginge Knight. As a Vulcan AEO he was, and probably still is, holder of the world bagpiping altitude record. I wonder how he looks today?

I guess Mrs BS is right when she claims I'm just another piece of Aviation History and Nostalgia these days. :uhoh:

goudie
14th Aug 2009, 07:45
Ditto another excuse for being in my den. Love the up-beat commentary with, I would venture, some exaggerated claims.
Thanks for sharing Blacksheep

henry crun
14th Aug 2009, 07:58
Blacksheep: If you are referring to Knight's 43,000ft record, I think it was exceeded by a handsome margin by a bagpipe playing Kiwi pilot during a Vulcan visit to Ohakea, but I do not know if his altitude was ever claimed.

Blacksheep
14th Aug 2009, 12:31
...but I do not know if his altitude was ever claimedA claim has to be independently verified. Ginge's verification was, if I recall correctly, from the radar station at Saxa Vord. Today, any old civilian could use the HMU at Strumble.

Gainesy
14th Aug 2009, 15:34
British Pathe - BIGGIN HILL AIR FAIR (NEWS TAKES THE AIR) (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=40876)

Biggin Air Fair 1965, Neil Williams' Stampe crash (walked away) and Reds Gnats

XV490
24th Aug 2009, 15:46
I'm hooked on this damned Pathe site now, much to my wife's chagrin (then again, she always did enjoy a bit of chagrin).

I unearthed this USAAF (British Pathe - AIR FORCE - AIR FIELD ENGLAND (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=52494)) footage the other day, and was able to confirm it was shot at Earls Colne. Splendid film of US aircrews before a mission.

What's more, there's footage of WACs (US Army ladies) plotting a mission in a control room at the long-demolished Marks Hall. Given their map shows all the B26 bomber bases eventually operating in Essex, it was probably shot in mid-1944.

Can anyone help me identify the group of six or so colonels in the film? Sorry for creep...

norwich
24th Aug 2009, 19:12
Oh Yes ! one of the best 'wasters of time' I have had for a long time !!!
Search for Stansted Airport and watch the firemen reducing history to scrap, necessary I suppose, but if only ......

Thank you for the link.

Keith.

nacluv
25th Aug 2009, 10:42
Love this site!

I like this (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=30908) one. Great clip of a TwinPin taking off in it's own length, but a howler in the commentary - "the crowds seek shelter under the wing of a Comet III" and you see a crowd - under the wing of a turboprop (Britannia?)! Doh.

compton3bravo
26th Aug 2009, 12:31
Oh dear, many thanks for the info. Just watched a very youthful John Stapleton doing a piece to camera about the problems at Luton Airport in 1974 which includes a nice short of a court Line TriStar blasting off from 08. Looks like many hours of interesting films to watch.

goudie
26th Aug 2009, 12:54
I love the bit where he says ''note the two drop tanks............one on each wing''!