PDA

View Full Version : Help in choosing a pilot training school

munikrishna
12th Aug 2009, 12:44
Hello,

Currently I am working as software Engineer. I would like become a pilot( My dream job). Can any one suggest me joining

UNIQUE FLIGHT ACADEMY, NELSPRUIT, SOUTH AFRICA for my pilot training. I heard that it is easy to build hours in South Africa ( Working as an instructor, there are more charter companies, etc..)

Whether South Africa follows JAA standard which is worlds the best standard and many europians are getting trained in south africa

I got this info from local aviation consultant.

Can anybody please validate the above information and provide their valuable suggetions.

I would appreciate any help on the above. Thanks in advance.

wolf_peace87
14th Aug 2009, 11:50
Check out FTS in SA

eagleflier
14th Aug 2009, 13:26
I would recommend Babcock CFA @ Grand Central in SA.
I just finished my training there and I must say it was of the highest standards. Ground school's very comprehensive, a/c maintenance also on point. Not a single incident while I was there. They also dont bend the rules. Location's also advantageous as SACAA's nearby so you dont have to travel to write your exams. Good luck
www.flyingacademy.co.za (http://www.flyingacademy.co.za)

munikrishna
9th Sep 2009, 10:36
Thank you so much for the replies. Could you plz tell when would be the right time to go for my pilot trainig to South Africa in future (As South Africa is in recession now) I am ready to wait for an year also.

The reason that I am choosing South Africa for my pilot training is I could gain work experience over there, I do not want to come back to India with just 200 hours. I would like do my ATPL also in south Africa. Would it be a better idea or not? I do not have any money in my pocket. I have to take a loan from the bank.

How long it would take to convert SACA CPL or ATPL license to Indian DGCA CPL or ATPL license.

Thanks in advance

chileno 777
9th Sep 2009, 18:16
The reason that I am choosing South Africa for my pilot training is I could gain work experience over there, I do not want to come back to India with just 200 hours

In that case I suggest going to US under J1 visa.

froggy_pilot
9th Sep 2009, 20:23
To finally go for an indian ATPL, Chileno is right !!!
Go for a US ATPL, and you can build hours there, your ATPL will be worldwide accepted :ok:

If you plan to work in Europe go for a JAR ATPL :ouch:

munikrishna
10th Sep 2009, 03:31
but I heard that South African standards are better and alomost equal to to europian standards (world's highly recomonded standards)

The cost of pilot training in south africa is cheeper than US standards -The other reason that I am considering South Africa

What is Chileno?

Thanks in advance.

three eighty
10th Sep 2009, 04:01
The question is who is Chileno.
Chileno was the previous poster (Chileno 777) advising you to investigate doing your training in the US

munikrishna
10th Sep 2009, 04:33
My sincere apologies to you Chileno 777

DA-10mm
10th Sep 2009, 06:13
any and all that have flown in any part of Africa, know that SA is the best that the entire continent can offer. That said...

"Whether South Africa follows JAA standard which is worlds the best standard and many europians are getting trained in south africa"...

seems a rather short-sighted comment...trained plenty of europeans, americans, indians, chinese...and never once has the "head office" ever complained about a 'below standards" candidate.

"world's best" is a misnomer, minus the grammar and spelling mistake...

open your eyes, my friend...

chileno 777
10th Sep 2009, 15:45
My sincere apologies to you Chileno 777

No problem.:ok:

but I heard that South African standards are better and alomost equal to to europian standards (world's highly recomonded standards)

South Africa has very good training, but the two references in the world are the JAA and the FAA license although they have different approaches to the pilot training.

The cost of pilot training in south africa is cheeper than US standards -The other reason that I am considering South Africa

It is true, but you could finish your training in US in a shorter time hence saving money in living costs.

If you decide to go to SA, when choosing your schools pls take into consideration the weather because it can seriously delay your training.

Good luck.

munikrishna
15th Sep 2009, 02:53
Thank you so much. You have provided me a valuable info that I have been looking for.

I have decided to do my pilot training in South Africa.
I have plenty of time after my job. So I would like to do self study before I go and join some school. Is it recomonded? If So can anyone suggest me how to start with? What are the books that I have to read as per SACA.

Please give me list of all the books that I have to read for my pilot training and suggest me which one to start first for (SPL, PPL, CPL and ATPL)

Thanks in advance

chileno 777
15th Sep 2009, 13:35
So I would like to do self study before I go and join some school. Is it recomonded?

I highly recommend it. As you probably should know the theory part of the training in SA is quiet a lot (and 80% of it useless for your future career as a commercial pilot, although as a general knowledge sometimes it is good to know) hence the sooner you start studying the better.
For PPL, I used the Air Pilot’s Manual (ex Trevor Tom) volumes 1,2,3,4 and the Avex Air Training Private Pilot Licence books.
For CPL I studied by The Avex CPL Notes and used the FTC books (mainly) for questions.
Also suggest you to buy the swales software PPL &CPL mock exam…but do not write any CAA exam if you are not scoring at least 90% on swales.
Good luck.

munikrishna
16th Sep 2009, 05:15
Thank you so much Cheleno. How do I get these books. Do I get these books in India? I prefer to read hrad copies than soft copies.

Thanks in advance

chileno 777
16th Sep 2009, 12:41
How do I get these books. Do I get these books in India?/

Very simple...use google and you will find them!
Anyway did it for you....

Study Notes - Avex Air (http://www.avexair.com/pilot_study.html)

Air Pilot's Manuals - Air Pilot Manuals - Trevor Thom Manuals - Pilot Warehouse (http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product6023catno2890023.html)

Home (http://www.swales.co.za/) ... swales

I am not in India hence do not know if you will be able to get them there.

munikrishna
17th Sep 2009, 12:03
Thanks you so much Chileno. If you have any additional information regarding the books please let me know. I am going to buy these books and start self study before I join any pilot training school.

Onne again thanks you very much.

munikrishna
22nd Sep 2009, 05:28
Can some body provide their valuable additional information on books and materials for self study.

Thanks in advance

Woof etc
29th Sep 2009, 12:52
For PPL training the Trevor Thom books are an excellent reference. I used the AVEX notes for the COM and ATPL and they were sufficiently detailed to pass the exams without attending any lectures (that was 11 years ago mind you - couldn't comment on how the syllabus has changed since then).

I would suggest once you have decided which school to do your training at, that you contact them directly - they may have their own notes or preferred reference material.

Lastly - when considering where you do your training an important factor is where you will eventually fly. A JAR licence is relevant to Europe, but many countries in Asia for instance only require a ICAO compliant licence (which the SA licence is). If your intention is to work in SA to build hours you might come up against work permit problems. However, there is hour building work available in other countries in Africa such as Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana etc. were the work permit is less of an issue.

Good luck - SA is a great place to learn how to fly.

Jamex
1st Oct 2009, 09:36
Heard there's a really good operation running in Petit called International Aviation Training Academy. You might want to try them. Good luck and SA really is a great place to learn to fly!

manishgupta02
29th Oct 2009, 07:30
Dear Krishna

i m working as S/f Engineer,
i am near to finalize the UNIQUE FLIGHT ACADEMY, NELSPRUIT, SOUTH AFRICA for my pilot training so are you going there or some other club.

can you suggest me the some more best flying club in SA.

what's your planning , when u r going?

Thanks

congoman
29th Oct 2009, 12:28
The coastal flying schools in South Africa are generally very good.
Either George or Port Elizabeth. FTC, APTRAC, Progress or Algoa.
Read the career guidance chapter on Flight Training College - George Garden Route South Africa (http://www.flighttraining.co.za)
Good luck.

nickpozz
6th Nov 2009, 20:09
Also have a look at 43 Air School Port Alfred. I finished my com there in Jan. They also have an Advanced training division at Lanseria that does turbine ratings, MCC and stuff like that. They do cost a little more but the training standards are excellent.:ok: