PDA

View Full Version : Air Zimbabwe on the verge of tanking.

Ted T. Beefcake
11th Aug 2009, 23:43
The Financial Gazette (Zimbabwe) (http://www.fingaz.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1587:airzim-on-the-verge-of-collapse&catid=25:top-stories&Itemid=11)

'NATIONAL airline, Air Zimbabwe Holdings (AirZim), is technically insolvent and on the verge of collapse.
Its sole shareholder, the government, has run out of funds to bail it out amid mounting overheads, which include a US$1,2 million monthly salary bill.
AirZim’s board has already sent early signals to the parastatal’s 1 420-strong workforce that the airline could suffer the same fate as Tanzania Airways or Aero Zambia, which collapsed under heavy debts if no solution is found to rescue the passenger carrier.'

Well i'm sorry to say this, but i hope it really does tank. At least then it would stop Bob et al. using UM like their own personal taxi service. Also, that may open up the playing field to other operators.

SoundBarrier
12th Aug 2009, 02:30
Yeah but what of all those that lose their jobs, I suspect foreign carriers won't pick up a lot of them :(

four engine jock
12th Aug 2009, 04:14
Please get your facts correct. Aero Zambia did not close down due to money. The government at the time wanted a slice of the pie. And the owners refused and they basically closed them down!

Captain_djaffar
13th Aug 2009, 10:38
and it will be Tsangirai's responsibility innit?

Shame...

737fanatic
13th Aug 2009, 20:20
As an ex-UM driver l do keep in touch with mates still flying there.

Moral is extremely low, it appears that pilots had their salaries cut by 80% and many are now struggling to make ends meet, l gather senior managers all drive newly aquired Merc and receive more than generous salaries and perks.:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

Captains are now taking home $1500 irrespective of length of service and fleet whilst First Officers earn $1000.:eek:I gather there is in place a legal document that details remuneration and working conditions all of which are simply ignored. The new CEO operates by divide and rule tactics (ex engineer with a chip on his shoulder, ex Air Namibia, ex ICAO, ex.....you get the drift......., basically a pilot hater). :=:=:=

Wish all the guys.....and gals there the best of luck.......the desert is calling.
:)

BlueSkye
18th Aug 2009, 19:39
Despite the airline being in a world of $hit for God knows how long, I've found the pilots to be of the highest standard. Never grumpy, follows instructions to the letter and all round consummate professionals. If I were a rich man (with an airline) I'd employ the last one of them.

All the best and you're welcome to come and fly in our desert. You will definitely raise the standard.

Ted T. Beefcake
18th Aug 2009, 20:39
Air Zimbabwe to cut 500 jobs to stay afloat (http://www.asd-network.com/press_detail/22478/Air_Zimbabwe_to_cut_500_jobs_to_stay_afloat.htm)

blindworm2003
19th Aug 2009, 08:16
I do feel sorry for the people who will lose their jobs. its a pity the airline has been run down by idiots. To all the pilots at Air Zimbabwe, I thank you for your professionalism and trying to hold fort. Sadly there comes a time when you have to move on and let the so called experienced board of directors rip what they sow.

Its a tough road ahead of you, but like we Africans always say, "if you can survive anything that African has thrown at you, then living anywhere else in the world will be a piece of cake"

To the managers and those responsible in the run down of our National airline, i say to you all "CORRUPTION NEVER THRIVES. YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED"

spacedaddy
19th Aug 2009, 09:34
Jock, you are correct about Aero Zambia. It was the government airline, Zambia Airways that was closed down because of financial constraints in 1994. Don't confuse this with Zambian Airways which closed down this year, also because of financial problems.

Ted T. Beefcake
19th Aug 2009, 14:54
I'd like to ask a question - say for example, that UM really did tank. Would BA et al. then restart LHR - HRE, given the good loads it had in the past (i remember traveling on that flight back in '04 and '07 and both times the flights were packed)?

skyloone
19th Aug 2009, 20:09
Sad to say say, but from a bean counters perspective (& I'm not one I hasten to add) my remedy is as follows.

Let the airline collapse. Or preferably offer a pre-pack deal.
Axe the MA60's & old 73'2s
Keep the 767's and re-employ crew on contract.
Contract engineers
Contract CC, check in, admin etc...
Hire in some proper bods to sort out the IT shamble & wesite, booking etc.. Install a proper yield management system.
Cancel all codeshare, alliances etc they may have.
Re-tender all supply contracts
Concentrate on the cash cow route to Gatwick, maybe negotiate with another UK airport further North.

Oh hang on...... this is Zim.... because workable business plans are beyond meddling politicians. When will countries start to realise that national airlines, owned by governments will never work. Where to start the list.. well Europe actually, Air Lingus, Alitalia etc.. etc.. Suppose I should'nt pick on Zim. But ask yourself... how many governments (Cuba apart) aspire to run shoe shops or supemarkets.. the same thing, just a different product / service at the end of the day.

Chat to the UM boys on 12345 whenever possible... good bunch, would love to be back in Zim flying one day, all the best and good luck.

Mutare Boy

Whenwe
20th Aug 2009, 06:16
Another sad day in Africa.
I only have good memories!!!:ok:

rogerk
20th Aug 2009, 10:04
Sorry for the pilots.

But one good thing comes out of it - cuts out shopping trips for Grace !!

:=:=

pookie1
20th Aug 2009, 20:21
I'm thinking that there is no way that Bob is going to let that happen. Even though the government (and no doubt Air Zim) has been bankrupt for years they will keep it going somehow. There is no way that Bob and Grace can get by without their shopping sprees that need at least a 767's cargo space to transport. And it would be too much embarrassment to handle in front of the other Southern African leaders. I understand that in his trip yesterday he flew into Keetmanshoop in Namibia on an Air Zim 737 and then caught a lift in the Namibian Presidential Falcon to Oranjemund. The Namibian AB139 was also in Oranjemund so Bob must have been thinking that he has got some catching up to do with countries who haven't ruined their economies.

737fanatic
20th Aug 2009, 22:41
I gather Mugabes global jaunts never end.

He landed in Harare on a chartered Air Zim 737 from Namibia, caught his motorcade home to change then back to the airport and took another Air Zim 767 this time to Dubai (and l bet those cargo holds were full of..:eek::eek:) ...........wow just imagine how he is clocking up those airmiles:sad:

Please keep him away from our dry patch of the world, we had Ugandas throw out we dont wont him too.

No wonder Air Zim is broke. :}

pookie1
23rd Aug 2009, 08:47
I have to say I told you so. Bob will never let Air Zim go down. Now I have just seen the following news article. Bear in mind that not much happens without direct government intervention and particulaly not in a parastatal. (this is part of it from zimbabwesituation.com)Ministry stops AirZim retrenchment From Radio VOP, 21 AugustHarare - The Labour Ministry has stopped the planned retrenchment of 500 workers by troubled Air Zimbabwe. The loss-making airline had announced this week that it planned to go ahead with the downsizing exercise in order to be viable. Rogers Matsikidze of Matsikidze and Mucheche LegalPractioners, representing the workers said: &quot;The Labour Court has ruled in favour of the workers and the Ministry of Labour ordered the planned retrenchment should not go ahead.&quot; The lawyer said several factors had been taken into account by the Labour Court in setting aside the planned retrenchment including depriving the workers and their families a livelihood. Zimbabwe national carrier applied to the Retrenchment Board in the Ministry of Labour to grant it the permission to lay off 500 workers in a, in a bid to prevent the embattled airline from going under.</p>

NG_Kaptain
23rd Aug 2009, 19:22
Where were they going last night? Heard the 76 in Kuala Lumpur airspace, was it another shopping trip?

Ted T. Beefcake
23rd Aug 2009, 19:30
According to The Herald, Bob is on a week's vacation, so it's very likely that he is up in Malaysia.

GTJDS
24th Aug 2009, 08:33
Saw the 767 in Dubai while taxing out Yesterday morning.

EtAF
24th Aug 2009, 15:10
When will countries start to realise that national airlines, owned by governments will never work.

Don't generalize. ET is a national airline owned fully by the Ethiopian government. It is also a very successful airline by any measurement. What countries, with national airlines, need to realize is to leave the day to day operations to professional managers and limit their involvement to board participation.

pookie1
26th Aug 2009, 18:00
Anyone seen any sign of Bob heading back to Zim? He is supposed to have an important meeting with Zuma, who is in Zim on Thursday and Friday.

Meanwhile rumours of his poor health circulate....

kotakota
26th Aug 2009, 19:19
Dubai a popular place for medical attention for the unpopulars ( with the West that is ) Bin Laden also rumoured to have been there (for treatment that is ) some years ago now .
I expect the KL trip is just to move more goodies for the retirement / hiding place for Grace and Bob ( if he has much time left ? ).
He has a soulmate in Mahatir - possibly the two most anti - Western leaders of Commonwealth countries in history. At least MM loves his country and people and has done his best to improve their lot - what has Bob done for his people ?

tawaz24
1st Sep 2009, 11:09
Im a student pilot fromm zimbabwe training in south Africa and i just got my ppl last month, my dream is to fly for air zimbabwe,i was so happy to hear air zimbabwe(zimbabwe361) on joburg area control frequency. i have been reading you posts and i feel so dicouraged and it hurts so much anyway its the truth and i can do nothin about it.

Rootie
2nd Sep 2009, 18:53
Seen at Bulawayo last week.

MobileMe (http://www.me.com/gallery/#100056)