PDA

View Full Version : TCAS and approaches to parallel runways

Bucking Bronco
11th Aug 2009, 09:09
Ladies and Gents

Could I ask what your SOP is regarding TCAS and approaches to parallel runways? I'm thinking of KSFO in particular where a TA is par for the course.

I operate to N.America on a regular basis and our previous SOP was, provided we were visual with other traffic, to switch TCAS to TA only whilst conducting approaches to parallel runways in order to avoid "nuisance" RAs. Now our SOP is to remain in RA at all times.

Genuinely interested in the SOPs of North American carriers!

Cheers

BB

MarkerInbound
11th Aug 2009, 16:22
Well, the FAA guidance for the PRM ILS/LDA combo at SFO says to follow the RA no matter what the controller says during the approach or breakout so they are expecting you to have it in RA.

weasil
11th Aug 2009, 23:23
Well, the FAA guidance for the PRM ILS/LDA combo at SFO says to follow the RA no matter what the controller says during the approach or breakout so they are expecting you to have it in RA.

They still expect you to follow the vector given but comply with the RA vertical guidance. I got an RA off a Virgin 747 at SFO once - the 747 was above us on the parallel and he overshot the turn to final and his closure rate set off the TCAS. We could see him and elected to continue the approach ( which is allowed in our manual). The 747 went missed - as we were beneath and behind him there is no way he could have seen us.

West Coast
12th Aug 2009, 05:06
Stay in RA at my airline. You are right about getting lots of practice with them in SFO.

Bucking Bronco
14th Aug 2009, 00:51
Thanks for the replies. I understand the need to stay in RA when conducting the PRM ILS/LDA, to follow the lateral guidance of ATC and the RA.

The scenario at KSFO is that they'll normally push you for the visual, you're #1 or #2 and on base leg and call visual. Next they ask the guy following you if they're visual with you and slot them onto the parallel runway. They end up formating on you and the TCAS is chirping away. :eek:

In the situation where you've called declared/accepted a visual (and taken responsibility for your own separation) do your SOPs dictate/allow you to switch your TCAS to TA?

Thanks in advance for any replies...