PDA

View Full Version : New 'gliding' landing method

CazbahKid
11th Aug 2009, 07:17
New 'gliding' landing method for planes to slash fuel consumption (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/new-gliding-landing-method-for-planes-to-slash-fuel-consumption-20090811-eg53.html)

The new landing method involves an aircraft's engines being put into neutral as it comes into land, letting the plane glide in following a route mapped out for it by satellite.

Put into neutral eh? Wait a minute, just let me take the clutch for a second... Oh :mad:, I stalled it!

Stupid greenies!

Another Number
11th Aug 2009, 07:50
Now you finally know why you learned stall recovery in training ... :ok:

Freewheel
11th Aug 2009, 08:28
I'm going to take a generous view and suggest that the reporter may be referring to the optimum approach technique used in parts of oz.

This technique may be a little difficult for the average punter to get their head around, so the journo paraphrased a bit.

I hope.

Falling Leaf
11th Aug 2009, 09:05
I wonder how much longer it will be before operators start seriously looking at single engine taxi, definitely after landing, but also taxiing out for take-off.

Are there any operators out there at the moment doing, or considering this?

Might as well pick the low hanging fruit first, before we try and save fuel during the approach.:ugh:

tail wheel
11th Aug 2009, 09:21
SAS would not be re-inventing the wheel.

This......
The new landing method involves an aircraft's engines being put into neutral as it comes into land, letting the plane glide in following a route mapped out for it by satellite.

...... reflects on media reporting standards, not airline operating standards.

I really don't think there is any airline/aviation issue worthy of debate on PPRuNe and certainly not on an Australian professional pilot forum.

Take it up in Jet Blast if you must, not here.