PDA

View Full Version : Kids schools in Tung Chung

coded_messages
11th Aug 2009, 04:03
We have a son and daughter (3 & 4) and are moving across to Tung Chung. Is there anyone in TC who can recommend a good Kindergarten? Some say the Sunshine school is good and others swear by Greenfield. Today I heard someone say Greenfield has gone downhill a lot recently and that the Sunshine school is far better

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Coded

PEETEESIX
11th Aug 2009, 05:26
Yeap

How about don't listen to everything you hear!

6er:ok:

F Scaler
11th Aug 2009, 08:07
Hi CM
We've sent kids, similar age to both schools. Started with Sunshine House and moved to Greenfields. Others have done vice versa. What I am trying to say is only frustration will win in the end!
The biggest problem is you have 2 local business' trying to make money, paying peanuts (local terms) for generally good (expat) teachers, who utlimately move-on because of said rediculous conditions.
We've had countless occasions where there have been 38 kids in 1 class because of supposed teacher sickness and the class taken by 1 expat teacher and 1 local teacher-aid. It would not be so bad if it were one-off, but it wasn't.
The other problem is communication. It's mainly the local (save face) thing where-by problems, when they surface, are brushed under the carpet in the hope no-one notices (ie. parents!) and is the source of endless frustration.
Don't get me wrong, it's not all bad...we are happy with Greenfield for one of our children, but ultimately had to withdraw our other due pure dissatisfaction.
As I see it, both schools are similar, pick the one closest to home.
FS

sinkingship
11th Aug 2009, 11:09
The other will be Discovery Mind (DMK) which has opened a Tung Chung branch at Seaview crescent. It is a branch of the same school in DB. It's fairly new and hasn't open for full term yet (think September), only some playgroups at the moment.
I know DMK DB is a waitlist for enrollment, not sure about TC.

CokeZero
11th Aug 2009, 16:07
Don't pick Greenfield.

Standards are poor and the teaching staff get fired every 6 months, so new staff every 6 months. As a result the kids are taught to any standards.

Captain TOGA
12th Aug 2009, 14:25
I also recomend Tsing Yi ESF, and yes, they have a bus.

flapsupdown
12th Aug 2009, 17:54
from what I know/heard/seen - ESF seems to be a pretty safe bet!

Captain TOGA
12th Aug 2009, 21:08
yeah, and they also have a bus.

Le Pilot
12th Aug 2009, 22:36
A 3 yr old on a daily half hour journey each way to Tsing Yi! Torture...:{

Sunshine probably the better bet if you live close enough to hoof it. Sun Island if you're broke and Greenfield if you live in Carribean Coast.

One of the negatives of being here in TC is the motivation of the kindys are not your child's mind but their parent's money.
As soon as your sibling is school age..the bus to Kowloon or DB works well.