PDA

View Full Version : Martin Baker 'Live' Ejection From the Back of a Lorry

Warmtoast
10th Aug 2009, 21:33
As a member of 99 Sqn I attended the Paris Air Show at Le Bourget in May 1961.

ISTR that one of the exhibitors was Martin Baker and their demonstration included a 'live' ejection by a very brave man from the back of a lorry as it raced down the runway. He ejected, parachute opened and landed safely.

I mentioned this to friend who is very sceptical, but I think it did indeed take place i.e. it was a man and not a dummy.

Anyone like to comment please as to whether my memory is still sound about this event after 48-years?

chiglet
10th Aug 2009, 22:44
Try a search for "Doddy" Hayes. He was MBs "ginuea pig" for ejection tests. I've read his autobiography,but cannot remember the title.

Fargo Boyle
10th Aug 2009, 23:31
I think it is 'Man in the Hot Seat' IIRC....

Dan Winterland
11th Aug 2009, 03:24
Indeed it is. The man was very brave - or barking mad!

Speed Twelve
13th Aug 2009, 12:24
Doddy Hay was a fitter IIRC at Martin Baker who volunteered for live seat testing. He even did some proper zero/zero trials by sitting on a rocket seat in the middle of the airfield and pulling the handle to 'prove' the concept!

Bravery/lunacy on a John Stapp-esque scale.

longer ron
13th Aug 2009, 17:37
Doddy Hay was not a fitter at MB,ISTR that he was an ex deck officer.
I think the fitter was Bernard Lynch , he did the first live ejection in 1946 from a meteor.

longer ron
13th Aug 2009, 17:44
Good website for some info...
Chalgrove Meteors

http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/The-Chalgrove-meteors-_2_.pdf

Warmtoast
13th Aug 2009, 23:01
It seems my memory was not at fault as further research with Flight International provided the following.

Martin Baker – Paris 1961 — Flight Magazine 25th May 1961

Perhaps the most interesting exhibit will be the prototype rocket assisted ejection seat which Martin-Baker hope to have on display. This rocket seat will have zero-speed/zero-altitude capability and is especially suited to VTOL aircraft. During the flying programme at Le Bourget on June 3 and 4 it is hoped to demonstrate the capabilities of this seat from a ground rig mounted on a lorry and using a dummy subject.

Flight Magazine 8th June 1961

By no means all the participants were fixed-wing aeroplanes. There were both helicopters and parachutists, one of the latter being W. T. H. Hay of Martin-Baker, who made a dramatic rocket ejection from a stationary lorry. This was the first public demonstration of Martin-Baker’s newest ground-level ejection equipment, which shot Mr Hay about 300ft into the air. On the Saturday, owing to a crosswind, he unfortunately landed on the edge of the runway instead of on the grass.

CoodaShooda
14th Aug 2009, 03:20
Wasn't that the demonstration where the cleats on his boots 'caught' the runway surface as he landed and severely injured his knee?

chiglet
14th Aug 2009, 21:30
ISTR that they were a brand new pair of [French/American?] boots

thunderflash
27th Nov 2011, 08:16
@ Warmtoast ..... "Anyone like to comment please as to whether my memory is still sound about this event after 48-years?"

I was there, too, that Saturday, June 3, 1961, and I remember well the episode .....

thunderflash
27th Nov 2011, 08:50
I found this interesting video ..... but I do not think it refers to Le Bourget 1961 ..... perhaps a few months earlier .....

Early zero zero ejection seat - YouTube

..... photographers' clothing seems to be more suitable to the winter season .....