PDA

View Full Version : Loadsheet question

jamestkirk
9th Aug 2009, 16:53
This is something that has been a debate where I work for a while.

If you know the definative answer to this and/or can point me in the right direction for the appropriate guidelines, that would be marvellous.

We (flight crew) do manual load sheets.

ther are two boxes; one is 'originator' and the other is 'address'. What is the correct items to write in these boxes on the load sheet.

Thanks.

jetsgo
9th Aug 2009, 17:01
As i believe it the origionator is the sita address of the handling company of the departure station and the address is the sita address of the destination handling company.

I really don't know why that is on a manual loadsheet. I'm sure someone will tell me, but i've got a feeling its a relic left over from before computers were used to do loadsheets so that the person transmitting the LDM knew where to send the message.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

jamestkirk
9th Aug 2009, 17:06
Thanks for that, i will look into it.

Dropline
9th Aug 2009, 20:54
Jetsgo

I think you're spot on...

merlinxx
9th Aug 2009, 21:08
Correct, tis for the departure station to transmit to the arrival station.

Capt Wannabe
10th Aug 2009, 06:32
This is defined in AHM516 (Part 1, Ref 2 & 3) as follows:

Address(es) Teletype address(es) for loadmessage as required

Originator Teletype address of originator

I suppose to be really pedantic it's not necessarily a 'SITA' address.... :D

rog747
10th Aug 2009, 07:25
we sent telex msgs using a telex machine to a sita address for departure messages or delays etc in BMA and Monarch in the 1970's and 80's...

ie LHRKLBD originator
to MMEKLBD (destn)
cc EMAOPBD (ops)
BD332 G-BFIH DC9 85Y
0852/0855/0907 (doors/off/airbn)
3/3 (crew)
85+1/098 (pax/frt)

01 yp
01 unmin
01 WCHR (WCHR in hold)
pushchair in hold, give to pax on arrvl pls.

all bags/frt hold 1
spare nosewheel fwd hold 1

that sort of thing....
yes the manual loadsheets had those boxes for the sita addresses

we always did manual loadsheets, no such thing as 'pooters then for us!

jamestkirk
10th Aug 2009, 12:24
Many thanks to all of you, that has been very helpful.

Is there any way I can get hold of the AHM516 manual or bit from it where that is stated. Just so i can bring into work.

Or do you think our ground handlers have a copy.

Tyrekicker2
11th Aug 2009, 02:32
The teletype addressee and originator part of the LS/LM form are historic - There are some shaded boxes that show the contents of the Loadmessage (LDM) in the standard format.

This means that the loadsheet copy could be handed over to a telex operator to send the load message with data to the online stations without being a trained loadsheet agent. It is also useful if you do not have a preset LDM "masK" on your system. LDM needs to be sent in the standard format as this can be read by automated systems.
I remember telex operators from my early days before we had computer terminals. The telex machine we had in our load control office was difficult to say the least the characters did not type immediately on the machine there was a 2 character lag (eg type LHR and as you type the R the L appears!!) High level of concentration required if you were not a touch typist.
Whilst completing the loadsheet took me 5-10 minutes - sending the message could take 15-20 minutes :}

Capt Wannabe
11th Aug 2009, 06:32
Ground Handlers should have a copy of the Airport Handling Manual (29th Edition - 2009) in their operations department. Look for section 516 within the Load Control section.

If you don't have any luck let me know and I'll try scanning it.

jamestkirk
11th Aug 2009, 22:08
thanks.....

jerboy
15th Aug 2009, 14:55
we sent telex msgs using a telex machine to a sita address for departure messages or delays etc in BMA and Monarch in the 1970's and 80's...

Still done today! Although mostly automated, they still come popping out the printer.

In most old school command line GDS's you can still send a telex by writing it out. Only the hardcore know the syntax though:

#QU LHRKLXX MANKDXX
.JERKLYY 151441AB
(I think..... :rolleyes:)

Its always struck me as an outdated way of communicating. But when you think about it it makes sense. Its a universal language (particularly LDMs, and MVT signals), pretty much every airline and haldning agent around has the ability to use it for their own means, and its relatively cheap.

Apparently SITA charge by the character to send them (they certainly used to anyway). This led to telex operators cutting down the length of their free format messages - the original pioneers of txt spk!

BRGDS - JERBD

42psi
15th Aug 2009, 15:46
jerboy

Your memory seems to agree with mine :eek:

As I recall QU was the standard priority which meant the message might be delayed until sent in a batch via the sita switching centre while QX should result in an immediate send ... with an appropriate cost.

For long messages (freighter ldm's/ucm's etc) you could start the telex machine on "local" and transfer the message to a ticker tape.

You then ended up with a few feet of narrow tape with loads of little perforations which you fed through to send the message in one quick go.

Now I really am starting to feel old :}

antonovman
22nd Aug 2009, 12:42
OMG this makes me feel old
I used to send dep messages
LHRKLBD dest from MMEKLBD orig
maybe i know you
after MME i went to work for BD in FRA
they had a huge old telex machine which was in a polished wood cabinet (i joke not) and the noise from it could be heard down the corridor. When the phone rang, it was impossible to hear the caller if the telex machine was running
and we had to dial the SITA phone number on a rotary dial to get online
Aaah those were the days, or were they ?