PDA

View Full Version : What does 'Ground School' for the bigger machines consist of??...

Bluetorque
9th Aug 2009, 11:44
Hey all, Ive heard various comments about "ground School" for the bigger machines (i.e pumas, dauphin, a109 etc) and am wondering - more a curiosity thing, what does Ground school for these bigger machines consists of? i am thinking the normal Limitations, W and B, Flight Systems etc, but In what format is the 'lessons' presented? is it run over a few days? costs? exams? - normally something the employer puts you through? I have just gotten into the industry, and have soooo many q's!! so bare with me, and thank you.

Bluey.

paco
9th Aug 2009, 12:34
I know you can expect about 2 weeks for a full 76 conversion

phil

Helipilot1982
9th Aug 2009, 15:02
When I did my groundschool for the Puma - it was taught by engineers ( both blackies and greenies - and the greenies love to display their knowledge) to an engineer level, thats why it took about 3 weeks full time to complete.

Epiphany
9th Aug 2009, 16:41
A factory course is normally 2 weeks technical groundschool spent trying to understand what the instructor is talking about and finally losing the will to live when he gets to the electrics, black boxes and circuit diagrams.

The last few days are spent bribing people for old exam papers and leaving the bar early to try to remember some of the questions.

If you are doing the Agusta Westland factory course you will also spend most of the first day trying in vain to find your classroom and being shouted at by wildly gesticulating Italians. In fact make that most of the course.

10th Aug 2009, 00:43
I have just gotten into the industry, and have soooo many q's!! so bare with me, and thank you.

You should still have all your CASA documents then!

Dig out your copy of CAO 40.3.0 "Aircraft Endorsements - Helicopters". This section tells you all of what you need to know.

Generally,the person seeking the endorsement must be awarded a pass in an engineering examination on the subjects specified in the syllabus set out in Appendix I that are relevant to the type of helicopter for which the endorsement is sought

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/orders/cao40/400300.pdf

Normally it is a Competency based training system and the duration of the Ground School will be determined by the supplier with an exam upon completion. This exam proves your competency.

heliski22
10th Aug 2009, 08:14
Epiphany

Poor thing, did you not have a pleasant time in Sesto Calende? You ought really to have learned a couple of swear words in Italian and how to mutter them rather than speak them and just gesticulate in return!

When in Rome..........

Bluetorque

AW139 Type Rating will be two weeks in the classroom, after which you'll feel there's still so much to learn and that they've just teased you with the knowledge they've given you!!

Bluetorque
10th Aug 2009, 13:04
Thanks so far guys, very informative.
I know have a better understanding of what's involved

Bluey..:ok: