PDA

View Full Version : S-61 Bass Strait

Brian Abraham
8th Aug 2009, 06:43
OK, so who's holding out on us - info that is. Not 10 minutes ago saw one of these venerable old ladies, with skirts hitched high, steam over the top of Sale eastbound for offshore. My first acquaintance with the breed was a pole of a SH-3 42 years ago but never clapped eyes on a 61 till now. Operating out of Essendon? Who?

Bushfire
8th Aug 2009, 07:17
C-FXEC Coulson Helicopters

Outwest
8th Aug 2009, 08:03
Flew that machine a couple times on ferry flights........that is one sweet 61 :ok:

High Nr
8th Aug 2009, 08:15
Brian,

I understand its doing a small Jayrow task out of West Sale, then off to fire support duties this summer.

Old, Reliable and it Floats!!

C++
9th Aug 2009, 03:53
Brian

Take a 10 minute drive to West Sale and you will discover that the S61 is residing there for a while, supporting an offshore contract in the Bass Strait. Mr Coulson is very particular about the presentation of his aircraft and XEC is by far the best example of a S61 you will find. You may even know one or two engineers.

Yes this helicopter is operating under the Jayrow AOC

Helibloke
9th Aug 2009, 04:10
I've got to ask why are Canadian Helicopters and Crews operating offhsore in Australia?

I understand helping out on the fires etc but do we need to import overseas airframes to support our Oil and Gas, can't the companies get their own Australian registered ariframes and crews?

SafetyCase
9th Aug 2009, 04:37
Old, Reliable and it Floats!!

Yes it does, I have done water landings with the old lady. (Fresh water, mind you) Great fun!
:ok:

GreenerGrass
9th Aug 2009, 08:58
Helibloke,

The Jayrow pilots are asking the same questions. This is while they still wait for their EBA pay rise which should have been paid 1 July which has been held up because the company says they have too many pilots!!!

ifsknt
9th Aug 2009, 15:47
If the S61 is operating frm West Sale, where is the ERA C++ that was doing the job previously VH JYN?

High Nr
9th Aug 2009, 21:28
I understand that the S76 was surplus to requirements and handed back in favour of a bigger machine for that specific drilling operation.

I think that the S76 airframe is tied up with another big local operator through a deal with Era, and is heading westward soon.