PDA

View Full Version : Height requirments*

cruisercruiser
24th Sep 2006, 00:27
Hi,

I've read that someone's got chopped because his legs are short and hence cannot apply full rudders. He had to discontinue his self-funded training although he is already somewhat halfway through (don't know about the full details though, only knows that he passed his UKCAA initial class 1 medical).

How did he manage to clear the class 1 medical and yet couldn't reach full rudders? Doesn’t this defeat the purpose of the medical? Does the class 1 medical require one to have a minimum leg length? Ironically I know of someone who is colour blind but is training under the SIA cadetship now.

I am not too tall (5' 4") and I believe I'm slightly disproportionate in that my body is longer than my legs!

I certainly don’t want to spend a fortune on my training and end up being told my legs are too short for flying in the first place! I believe BA's height requirement was 158cm (5' 2")?

Can someone help?

gingernut
26th Sep 2006, 15:46
What are the rudder pedals for ??

Only kidding, try running a search, I'm sure this was discussed about 2-3m ago.:)

cruisercruiser
26th Sep 2006, 20:54
Thanks gingernut, I searched all night but all I found was this : http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241726

Could anyone point me to the right thread if there was one?

Thanks a lot!

cruisercruiser
2nd Oct 2006, 20:48
Here was what I read in askcaptainlim.

"Can I become an airline pilot when I am only 163 cm tall?

Hi Captain Lim,

My name is Tony and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I came across your site and it is fantastic. I have certainly learnt heaps. I would want to become a pilot one day as it has always been my dream. If I don’t reach there, at least I want to do something dealing with planes such as getting an aviation degree or become an aerospace engineer.

I was just wondering - is there a certain height you to reach to become an airline pilot? I am currently 17 years old and I am 163 cm tall. Many people have told me that it is hard to become an airline pilot but I am determined to work hard to reach there. I was just wondering whether I can become an airline pilot when I am that short?

Thanks.

Tony

Hi Tony,

This is the most common (and repeated) question I receive from aspiring pilots and I will probably answer it for you and others for the last time now!

In the early days of hiring pilots, there was a minimum height for pilots at most airlines. Generally, these requirements have not strictly being followed today and some have mainly fallen by the wayside. To some, the only requirement is that a prospective pilot can fly the simulator provided during the interview process without undue problems due to height or strength (i.e. he can reach the rudder pedals and see over the dashboard or can control an airplane without restriction, etc). I remember when I was doing my training in the United Kingdom - a course mate of mine who was only 158 cm (5' 2") was selected for the flying training. Even though he satisfied the minimum height, they later realized that his legs were too short to control the rudders (had problem recovering from the spin - a difficult flying maneuver) and was terminated from further flying training.

So really, there is no official height restriction in order for one to be issued with a professional pilot license, either by the UK CAA, the FAA or any governing bodies. However, airlines on their own may impose their requirements. It is a matter of company policy.

Let me quote you some airlines that still require pilots to have minimum or maximum height restrictions:

To qualify for the Cathay Cadet Airways Pilot Program, you must be at least 160 cm tall. Malaysia Airlines would require their pilots to be at least 163 cm (5' 4") tall and Singapore Airlines requirement is 165 cm.

Some airlines in UK have various height restrictions between 158 cm (5' 2") to 191 cm (6' 3").

The physical requirements of US American Airlines: Able to lift, push and pull heavy articles as required and to reach all emergency equipment on all aircraft types. Pilots’ heights must not exceed a maximum of 6’ 2" and ideally, be between 5’1-1/2" to 6’ 0".

So I cannot really advise whether you are too short for an airline job. You got to find out from the specific airline yourself. If you choose to fly for General Aviation, your height of 163 cm is not a problem at all.

Any comments?

Cheers

redsnail
2nd Oct 2006, 22:01
166cm or 5' 5 1/2", 2 ATPLs, >5000 hours, type rated on a Dash 8 (ooh my aching muscles) and a little jet. No probs with reaching the pedals.
Shorter guys around.

cruisercruiser
14th Oct 2006, 14:28
I've got some info here on height. Emailed OAT and got an answer:

"We do not have access to an Airbus, but I think you are less likely to have difficulty fitting an A320 than you might have fitting a 737. I recently witnessed a woman of 5’-1” stature doing a fitting in our 737 simulator. We determined that she would not be able to fly a 737. The problem for her was that once we raised the seat high enough for her to see over the instrument panel, she was not able to apply full right rudder while simultaneously applying full right wing down on the control yoke as her leg was in the way of the yoke. This is an actual manoeuvre required to pass a Type Rating check ride.

The above problem is unique to Boeing aircraft. The Airbus uses a side stick design so there are no controls between or above a pilot’s legs. This problem has less to do with a person’s height than it does with the length of one’s thigh, though the two are obviously related."

So those on the borderline at the lower end, it is advisable to arrange a fitting session with the training school you are going to train with.

cheers

shortstripper
14th Oct 2006, 16:44
On the private flying side being a short ass like me (5'5") is great! Aeroplanes fly much better as we're naturally lighter, even if not skinny :)

christhevan
15th Oct 2006, 15:44
I'm on the other end of the spectrum - 6"4 :bored: hopefully i'll be ok! :}

cruisercruiser
16th Oct 2006, 18:35
Again from OAT:

"We can arrange a fitting in the Piper Warrior, Piper Seneca and a Boeing 737-400 simulator. Your height is within the design specification range of all Boeing and Airbus models, which is 5’-2” to 6’-3”. I do recommend a fitting session since you are close to the lower limit, which is more problematic than being too tall would be."

The last sentence sounded a bit ambiguous though.

christhevan
17th Oct 2006, 19:00
Good Luck Cruisercruiser, i'm sure you'll do fine

cruisercruiser
30th Jan 2007, 19:18
Short guys and tall guys out there,

Just went for a fitting session with OAT and found myself to fit alright in the piper warrior and senaca. I sit and reach comfortably in their 737-400 simulator too. I am 5'4". The basic requirement is to be able to reach full rudders and apply full aileron in the same direction without any obstruction, and to see over the instrument panel out of the aircraft. You must be able to reach for the instruments in the cockpit too.

This guy who is about 6'6-7" fits alright too.

One point to note is that OAT's sims are not Type sims. Hence the fitting result might not be a true gauge.

cruisercruiser
23rd Mar 2007, 00:20
Thanks to the kind people in GECAT, I did a fitting this afternoon and found I fit alright. Bumped into one pilot who is about 2 inches shorter than me. Another pilot from the same airline told me he's got a lady colleague shorter/smaller who is flying!

kpd
31st Oct 2007, 21:17
At 6 foot 4 inches like christensen will I be unable to fly certain jets?? Clearly a Lear Jet is out of the question having seen the cockpit but any other restrictions?? Presumably no problem in a helicopter??!!

Katherine Alexandra
14th Nov 2007, 20:15
To be honest, it's more about the length of your legs and body. With training aircraft, there'd be no problem as long as you're above 5'0" (or shouldn't be!). At 5'2.5", I've certainly had no problems in any Pipers I've flown. Of course, with Boeing, you want to have a longer back in proportion as, while you can pull the pedals towards you and the seat forward, you can't raise the seat up so much.

Of course, there's always airlines such as Loganair. I know a woman of about 5'0" (shorter than myself, anyway) who's very happily flying for them. Height shouldn't preclude most people from a Commercial aviation job!

ATSU Misc
15th Nov 2007, 05:08
I remember a C-130 skipper whose pre flight routine was to get hold of the Systems Manual Vol I (the thickest manual on board) and place it behind his seat back cushion. It was the only way he could kick rudders full deflection even with full rudder pedals out and full seat forward max adjustment. Saved his life on a three engine ferry takeoff!

So if you can't fit, there are ways!:)

Special Limitation
15th Nov 2007, 16:16
I am 6' 4" tall with a 35" inside leg and have no trouble at all flying a 75/767. In fact EFATO in the sim is a non event for me as I don't need to apply rudder trim. Trainers are not too impressed so I toe the line but give me long legs any day.

fernytickles
17th Nov 2007, 15:14
A friend of mine had to put her flight bag behind her when flying the sim for a job interview with BA. She passed with flying colours and to my knowledge is still happily flying for them. She was very petite, not sure on exact height, but I'd say about 5'. She never let a little thing like height get in the way of her goals.

Oh that's super!
19th Nov 2007, 11:48
Some people I know who are short but with relatively long legs have problems with seeing out of 172s properly (i.e. due to low eye height), whereas they don't seem to have much problem with Cherokees. On the other hand those at the similar height but with short legs don't seem to have problems with seeing out of 172s but have issues with achieving a full rudder deflection. So it's not just the height but the length of body/legs that need to be taken into account.

Ergonomic issues affect performance, so I would recommend shorties to try out the aircraft for fit.

kayterose
16th Jan 2008, 12:32
Could anyone inform me of this please? I have found so many different answers. I am looking more for the UK, possibly RAF. Im currently 5ft5 and about 7stone8 (After being hit by the novo virus) I usually am 8 stone 3.

AlexUK
19th Jan 2008, 21:21
Hi, did search for this, sorry if it is already been posted. I am basically 6ft 6" (just under) I know their are no height restrictions per se, but am I too tall. They say its fine for commercial jets if you can reach all the controls, but im a newbie with no flying experience how am I meant to know. There is no point trying to figure out which route I am going to take, or how I am going to afford paying for my training if at the end of the day I am too tall to be a pilot.
Thanks.

2ndGen
19th Jan 2008, 23:24
I asked a similar question recently, and the general response was as long as you have a bmi (body mass index) in the healthy weight range (20-25) you won't have a problem as long as there are no other bad health indicators. I am slightly overweight which is why I asked the question and was told even if overweight should be ok for airlines. However RAF are going to have much stricter guidelines so you will need to make sure you are very fit and healthy. Hope it helps!

gingernut
20th Jan 2008, 09:27
Sorry, can't advise you about absolute limits for height and weight, but as far as your BMI goes, your former height/weight falls in the range of what's considered "normal."

You current post viral weight puts you in the "slightly undrweight" range.

epsum
23rd Jan 2008, 15:18
Well, I'm also 6'6" and passed all ab-initio tests in one of largest nordic flag carrier, now finishing my studies. Have 0 problem for fitting in Piper, Cessna 172 or 152, and dont have any leg-cramps on what-so-ever even in 3h crosscountry flights. Only problem, that I have had since now is rare headache, when my stupid head hits upper wing of a cessna. But this is now rare happening ( in the beggining, that happend about once a month)...

If you are still worried, go and ask for the school where you want to go, or in airline, in which you intend to apply. IIRC, that BA have/has height restriction and it was about 6'3", but in the application was memo which stated that if the applicant doest meet the height restriction, he/she must demonstrate ability to fit in .. or something similar.

Whirlybird
25th Jan 2008, 06:53
Don't know this for certain by any means, but if you're thinking of military flying, isn't there a problem if you're below the minimum weight for ejection seats, which I believe is around 9 stone? I've heard that....but I may be out of date and/or totally wrong! Maybe ask on the mil forum.

Wader2
25th Jan 2008, 09:32
1. Look in the military aircrew section. You will find a wealth of this sort of information in the Joining- OASC sticky at the top of the page.

2. Your height/weight is I think marginal.

You are taller than my daughter but that is not the problem. As Whirlybird says you may be too light for a bang seat. I think my daughter was too light for a parachute too.

She is heavier now but very happy in her non-aircrew roll.

Pontius Navigator
25th Jan 2008, 15:05
I found this:

OK - I've just passed through RAF Cranwell myself and here's the essential numbers you need:

Pilot:

Weight: 56.8 - 94.0 Kg
Functional reach (shoulders to thumb-tip):
740 - 900 mm
Sitting height: 865 - 1010 mm
Buttock knee: 560 - 660 mm
Buttock - heel: 1000 - 1200mm

Navigator:

Weight: 56.8 -94.0 kg
Functional reach: 715- 900 (note shorter)
Sitting height: 850 -1020 mm (safe to be alittle bigger)
Buttock-knee: 550 - 660 mm (little shorter)
Buttock - heel: 970 - 1200

This looks like 8 st 14 lbs.

Jimmy The Big Greek
25th Jan 2008, 15:53
I am 6'7 no problems with JAA or FAA medicals. I have been flying Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft. No problem at all. The only aircraft I feel cramped in is in the C-150. In the C-172 there is plenty of room. I actually I had to bring the seat forward because I could not reach the pedals. I am now flying the B737, also no problem.

Mrbobo
18th Sep 2008, 11:14
Hi all

I have heard people saying 6'4 is the tallest you can be to become and pilot. I dont want to book my Class 1 as it is expensive for someone just to say "sorry your too tall" Anyone got any ideas? I'm 6'6

Thanks alot

Pete

Otterman
18th Sep 2008, 13:46
At my airline, when you are taller then 2 meter 01 centimeters you have to get a bunch of measurements made. Especially important is the upper leg length. I has to do with the support the seats offer. I live in the country with the tallest people on earth, and we have a lot of guys close to this length. I know of one who is 2 meters 03 centimeters, but his measurements were ok.
Greetings O.

BTW 2 meters 1 centimeters is equivelant to 6 feet 7 inches.

RollNow!
19th Sep 2008, 01:12
Based on what ive seen i dont think its an outright no no from the CAA. I work with 2 pilots on a daily basis who are at least 6ft5 minimum. They might be taller. all i know is im a tall guy, there quite a way taller than i am.

As for the measurment requirements for support and comfort in the flight deck, im not sure if they have had to have gone and got that checked specificaly but at that height they are both employed by major carriers.

Aer Doctor
19th Sep 2008, 11:28
The commercial aircraft seat is designed for standing height between 155 & 185cm; candidates beyond these limits may be counseled accordingly. A Cockpit fitness report is to be obtained from the Flying Operations .

This may help.

Carrier
21st Sep 2008, 20:06
Some while back a fellow pilot was 6'-7' and properly proportioned as against being a string bean. He managed fine with PA31 and BE20 and there was certainly no medical issue involved.

Jimmy The Big Greek
21st Sep 2008, 21:17
No, you are not to tall.

I am 197cm and I have never run into a problem because of my length at both FAA and JAA medical examinations.

I am currently flying B737's and there is PLENTY of room to spare. You can adjust the seat in so many ways that it is really no problem.

The only time you may have some problems due to your size is during initial training when you have to fly small single engine aircrafts. This is something you have to think about when choosing school. When I started flying I was also concerned like you so I asked the schools I was visiting if I could test sitting in their aircraft.

Until now I have flown around 12 different types of aircrafts and the best for tall people are the C-172 and PA-28.

When you move up to commercial (western) aircrafts you will not encounter any problems. Maybe in some business jets, like Lear jet you might have problems.

Stop worrying and good luck with your medical :ok:

tian yu
8th Aug 2009, 02:56
Hi there. A while ago a close friend of mine asked me what was the minimum height requirement to become a pilot . . . . . out of which I did not also know the answer :O

Any answers?

Alph
18th Jul 2016, 11:45
I am 4'9" and flew a C150 and C172. I used 2 cushions to adjust myself in the C150. When I started flying C172, i couldn't get the full control deflection due to the higher seat level. So my instructor suggested to modify the cushion in an incliner way so that I get get to do full deflection. And it did work well! What I'm trying to say is, if you want to do something real bad, you have to find a way to overcome the obstacles you face. Happy flying everyone!

numberone
24th Jul 2016, 01:11
Hi AlexUK,
6ft 6" is certanly not to tall. I am 6ft 6" myself and have been flying commercially for more then 20 years. Starting on smaller a/c it was a tight fit every now and then, but never impossible. Today I do have the honour of flying the 737, before Airbus, Fokker and Saab. Aircraft are designed around the 95% human being, ranging from somwere below 160cm up to 190,5 cm. In that bracket deviations are allowed (long legs/short torso and otherway around), so if your height is well balanced between legs and torso it shouldn't be a problem. In my case the sum of my lower and upper leg were 130cm, just within tolerances.
Hope it helps! Good luck and enjoy your flying!