PDA

View Full Version : A new VTOL jet that lands in car parks?

aviate1138
5th Aug 2009, 11:33
Am I just an old cynic or is this another Moller type fund raising scheme?

Unless a miracle has happened surely this would have a similar effect as would a Harrier parking in a Sainsbury's Car Park and not damaging cars or people...........

From AvWeb Biz

New Aircraft Company To Launch In Wisconsin

Brian Morgan Mark O'Halloran
Apparently undaunted by the current state of the aviation industry (see today's GAMA story), a pair of entrepreneurs is preparing to build a 600,000-square-foot facility at the Sheboygan County (Wisc.) Airport where they will develop and manufacture a new vertical-takeoff-and-landing jet design. County leaders said the company has potential for "tremendous economic development and job growth," according to the Sheboygan Press, and the state is providing an economic incentive package worth nearly $30 million. The project will also include offices and other facilities at the airport, and could create up to 2,000 jobs, according to the Press. We couldn't reach the company co-founders, Mark O'Halloran and Brian Morgan, by our deadline, but in a talk at Lakeshore Technical College in January, Morgan said he has been working on the jet design for 20 years.

"Now it's time to make that dream come true," he said. "Our aircraft combines jet-speed forward flight with the ability to land in a parking lot." O'Halloran added: "It will give business travelers the freedom to take off and land anywhere, as well as the speed and reach of a jet. In many applications it could replace the helicopter. ... We believe this could be what is called a 'disruptive technology,' a technology that could completely alter the aviation industry and change the playing field forever." According to a post at Brian Morgan's LinkedIn profile, "Flight testing is expected in 2013, FAA certification in 2016, and aircraft deliveries in 2017." The Sheboygan Press celebrated the deal in a recent editorial. The editorial said the company obtained a patent on the jet design four years ago, and added: "While a patent is not a golden ticket or a guarantee, a patent coupled with a business plan and the proper financing is a good recipe for success."

Hmmm..... Am I a grumpy old man?

Wizofoz
5th Aug 2009, 11:36
You may be a grumpy old man, but you'd be a STUPID old man to invest money in this!

Yet another bunch of fantasists.

BoeingMEL
5th Aug 2009, 12:42
These exciting launches seem to surface almost every year now... high on hype but thin on detail. (Do they know how long it took and how much it cost to design and develop the Harrier?.... and that was achieved by 2 long-established and successful companies - HS and Rolls Royce).... wonder what the local tax-payers make of this (alleged) "investment"? cheers bm

Storminnorm
5th Aug 2009, 12:57
Bloody HS & Rolls Royce.
They pinched MY design.
Bu**eration!!!

twistedenginestarter
6th Aug 2009, 09:14
"Do they know how long it took ... to design and develop the Harrier?"

I think it was either 9 months or 18 months (prototype P1127).

green granite
6th Aug 2009, 09:41
but you'd be a STUPID old man to invest money in this!

Yet another bunch of fantasists.

They probably said the same about people like Hawker, AV Roe etc. :)

SalesConsult
6th Aug 2009, 09:55
This idea will soon be a reality. The issue for some time to come will be watering down training requirement and safety matters surrounding it.

SC

Avman
6th Aug 2009, 10:00
Will car parks need to be re-designed? ;)

TerminalTrotter
6th Aug 2009, 11:09
Dunno about redesigning the car parks, but the litter pickers and trolly handlers will have to up their game to keep the landing spot clear. TT

Ancient Observer
6th Aug 2009, 11:13
Twisted,
the p1127 was based on years of failure on both sides of the pond. If this new shower have all of that experience, it might work...........but they don't have it.

Fitter2
6th Aug 2009, 12:00
I cannot imagine this lot have a single engineer in the 'company'.

Consider, even in high drag approach configuration a conventional airliner has a lift/drag ration around 10. It needs 10% of the power required to lift it vertically (or hover to land) to be able to fly.

To carry 10 times the power you need the rest of the time just to take off and land is desperately uneconomic.

On the other hand, if you feel like investing in this lot contact me - I can imagine many 'investment opportunities' for you, and will take only a small commission..............

WilyB
6th Aug 2009, 13:09
Vertical take-off and landing aircraft - Google Patent Search (http://www.google.com/patents?id=VfoTAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

This look so 1950s...