PDA

View Full Version : From twin piston to twin turbo prop

wingisland
4th Aug 2009, 17:29
I'm currently flying twin pistons on AOC work and I absolutely love it, it's looking like i'll be moving up to turbo props relatively soon, i've always wanted to fly turbo props (especially something like a B200) single pilot, but after looking at some cockpit photo's and performance data i'm wondering how difficult its actually going to be?

I've got 1100hrs total and 300hrs multi and was wondering what other people who have made this leap in the past thought of it, is it really hard getting your brain to work as quickly in an aircraft going more than twice the speed of what your used to with far more complicated systems, or once you've done the type rating and line training its not that much of a problem?

Also what is the kingair like to fly?

suchiman
4th Aug 2009, 18:47
Wingisland,

If you are doing fine on the PA31 you will have absolutely no problem on a Turboprop. The same when you move to a Jet. An airplane is an airplane. Just slightly different thinking.

After a short period to adapt you will be thinking how easy it is. Yes, a bit more speed but lower workload and more efficient systems. No mixture or props to fiddle around with, etc.

Have fun.

B200Drvr
4th Aug 2009, 20:05
The move from pistons to turbo props is fairly easy, just as the move from TP's to jets is easier when you have the relevant experience.
Obviously the aeroplane is heavier than what you are flying now, more powerful and faster, but it is all relative. You just have to plan further ahead. Don't be surprised if you feel way behind the machine for the first few flights, this is normal. Spend as much time in the cockpit as possible, make yourself familiar with where everything is and what it does, learn the systems, they are not difficult. I was fortunate enough to get into the RHS of a King-Air with less than half you total time, and then onto a bigger twin turbine as a single pilot before I got to 1000 tt (long story, just lucky.)
Anybody can do it, it just depends on the amount of work you are prepared to put into it as to whether you are successful or not.
Don't doubt yourself, work hard and most of all enjoy the next step up.

Mack Buffet
4th Aug 2009, 22:30
I went from C421 to King Air with @1500hrs and 300 odd multi and had no problems other than face ache from the grin on my face.

I loved flying the King Air, when you step up from Pistons you have the greater power and reliability of the PT6, plus generally better avionics and systems.

You can fly it into Heathrow or fly it into Shoreham - it's very versatile. Inside it's a better place to be than a lot of small bizjets.

When you start you'll have the usual learning curve with speeds, arriving everywhere just that bit faster, including altitudes. Plan ahead with throttle settings (don't chase - you can fly a KA by the numbers) and expect your turn radiuses to be wider (i.e. shooting through the inbound NDB or LLZ is traditional).

cjboy says it feels big, solid and heavy. That's a good thing - feels dependable to me and you don't worry too much about 'performance landings' on short fields that your pax inevitably want to go to, gives you bags of confidence.

'Heavy' feel can differ between models, earlier ones tend to be lighter and more responsive, also whether they are Raisbeck equipped can make a noticeable difference. I've flown an early Raisbecked KA and a later standard model. In comparison one was like driving a Caterham, the other like driving your sofa.

Down side ? You'll be flying longer jet-type sectors and if you're coming back from Europe in a 100kt headwind adding 200nm to your journey you'll be wishing you'd gone to the loo before you left...

Enjoy !

Pace
4th Aug 2009, 23:09
Wingisland

I went from over 2000 hrs multi piston straight to jets. First as a co then as a Captain.

back to turboprops having missed out that segment and have to say the kingAir is far more complex than a Citation.

the Citation I can fire up and fly without a checklist. The KingAir??? Wouldnt dream of it

Pace

ahramin
5th Aug 2009, 03:17
As with all airplanes it can be flown well or poorly. Flying a King Air well is easier than flying a PA31 well.

But if you really want to fly it well, go to the sim course and get someone with lots of experience in the airplane to give you 20 hours or so of line indoc.

gordon field
5th Aug 2009, 18:55
With your hours a positive attitude and a thorough read of the AFM you should have no problem. Most pilots fear a hot start, follow the manual not all PT 6s are the same. If it says stabilize the ng at 14% before adding fuel then make sure it HAS stabilised not just peaked.

His dudeness
5th Aug 2009, 19:22
the Citation I can fire up and fly without a checklist. The KingAir??? Wouldnt dream of it

Errhh, what?

No hard on?

The B200 is a dream to fly, easy, rugged, versatile, you name it. 4000+ hrs in it, still love it. Next February is my 20th anniversary on the type. Will do a checkride on it on Saturday, getting exited already.

Okay, I´m exaggarating, a little bit. But I still like it and I´d fly it for living rather than any citation (booooooooring) [former ratings: C501/551, 550/560 & 650, current on the 525 & 680]

As for the hotstarts, make sure to preserve every little bit of battery and you´ll be fine. Draining the batt by lights avionics etc is the key to desaster on any turbine. Don´t really now what you mean by that 14% thing, gordon?

Flying is easy, easier than any piston twin I have come across. A very forgiving aeroplane.
IF you have any say, try to get a KA with a Raisbeck kit, preferably Props, intakes, inboard leading edges and aft body strakes. Turns it in a 'B250' really.

Down side ? You'll be flying longer jet-type sectors and if you're coming back from Europe in a 100kt headwind adding 200nm to your journey you'll be wishing you'd gone to the loo before you left

Mack this guy is 24, no prostate probs I suppose... a very true post I have to say, I remember a 4 hrs flight from Ukraine to Germany in a 140 kts headwind. But there still is the tube below the drivers seat...