View Full Version : Teaching JAA in the USA

4th Aug 2009, 15:53
I am looking at going out to America to a JAR school in California to teach JAA PPL's. I have recently qualified from BCFT in Bournemouth having completed the usual CPL FIC etc. :)

I know a few friends have been to Florida to teach JAA and they advised me that once i had the FI(A) on my licence all i required was to have my licence varified by a FSDO in the states having completed the paperwork on both sides and paid the fee to the CAA. I have already done this for my hours building when i went to the US last year and have the FAA card which, as far as im aware, gives me the privaledges of a FAA PPL off of my JAR PPL.

I would like to know if anyone knows of any additional FAA qualifications i will require to teach JAA in the US. :confused: A subject that i think can confuse many!! (like me....:ugh:)

Also I have the latest version of both LASORS and FAR/AIM and have looked through them to see if I can find out any information on this but with no success so far, so if anyone knows any document that would tell me about it I would be grateful if you could you let me know so i could look it up. I have had many people advise me with their information but I have never found anything in black and white, which states the requirements.

Hope someone can help!! :ok:

4th Aug 2009, 17:41
It was my understanding that you will need an FAA CPL to be remunerated for flying in an N Reg aircraft. Certainly all of the Instructors I know in the states who are teaching JAA are dual qualified.

4th Aug 2009, 18:25
I'm fairly sure that you will need an FAA instructing qualification (a prerequisite for which is an FAA CPL and IR).

You DON'T actually need a JAA instructing qualification - you get an approval issued from the UK CAA.

The trickiest part is the work visa.

5th Aug 2009, 06:47
You DON'T actually need a JAA instructing qualification - you get an approval issued from the UK CAA.This provision is for instructors holding a non JAA ICAO licence with an Instructor rating with the relevant experience, who DO NOT HOLD A JAA LICENCE
Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.300
Requirements for a specific authorisation for instructors not holding a JAR–FCL licence to instruct in a TRTO outside JAA Member States or in a FTO partial training outside JAA Member States in accordance with Appendix 1b to JAR-FCL 1.055
To teach PPL and send students solo, you will need an FAA CFI rating as stated.

5th Aug 2009, 23:48
I teach JAA fATPL integrated program in California. I need a FAA CPL + CFI.. basically the licenses I am legally flying on even when teaching JAA students. Then I have my JAA FI to teach JAA stuff. I know this has always been a grey zone.. especially when teaching instrument and multi-engine to JAA students on my CFII/MEI. So far all CAA's seem to agree.

The Mixmaster
6th Aug 2009, 00:38
Anyone know if there's a significant difference between the FAA CFI checkride and the JAA one?? Would differences training be required before sitting the FAA check?

6th Aug 2009, 01:26
I don't know if JAA FI is the same in Sweden and other European countries, but I actually believe it is.

Yes, from my experience it's a very big difference between a JAA and FAA checkride. I personally think JAA is better. JAA focus more on the basic stuff, straight & level, climbs, descents, turns etc. but also things like slow flight, steep turns, navigation and traffic pattern. FAA focuses more on certain maneuvers like Chandelles, Lazy 8, Lost Procedure & Diversion and all different types of landings.

During my CFI I was grilled for 8 hours during the oral part, on my FI the examiner almost forgot that I should lead a lesson in meteorology (ended up being 30 min). I think JAA FI was both easier and gave me more from an instructor point of view. But different requirements for JAA and FAA certificates require different requirements for instructor ratings.

Please note that everything I write is based on a Swedish JAA FI.

The Mixmaster
6th Aug 2009, 22:49
172, thanks very much for your post. How much extra training did you find you needed in order to complete the FAa CFI checkride?

7th Aug 2009, 05:34
I'd say I needed quite some training, for various reasons.

1. I did have the JAA ATPL theory, which is more thorough than the FAA. Despite that, there were new things I had to learn to pass an FAA check ride. Much of it though was because I had to learn the entire FAR/AIM in and out (new regs).

2. When I got to the US I was introduced to a whole lot new maneuvers I had to master before I could go to a check ride. Chandelles, Lazy 8, Steep spiral, S-turns across a road etc. etc. Maneuvers that I might had tested once or twice back home, but never mastered since they were not required.

All in all, I maybe flew 20 hours to get the maneuvers down to an acceptable standard. In the US called PTS (Practical Test Standard).... and dare you fly outside of those on a check ride :}

Pugilistic Animus
7th Aug 2009, 16:06
see the US ain't so soft after all especially with the PTS's:}

8th Aug 2009, 14:42
172 sorry if i sound a bit slow on this checkride thing your talking about. is that for a FI checkride or is that for a ppl over in the states wanting to do a few hours flying? i know of the checkrides but didn't realise that lazy 8's etc were part of their checkride for ppl!

8th Aug 2009, 16:45
Sry for being unclear... I was comparing FAA CFI (instructor rating) with JAA FI.

For PPL in the US, Lazy 8, Chandelles etc. not required.
For CPL in the US, Lazy 8, Chandelles etc. is required.
For CFI in the US, Lazy 8, Chandelles etc. required to CPL std. + being able to instruct them.

8th Aug 2009, 18:18
172 many thanks for that. i was getting my knickers in a twist thinking i'm going to have to do 5-10 training just to hire an aircraft.

8th Aug 2009, 19:02
chris323 make sure you read the thread in this forum on http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/383172-what-visa-do-i-need.html

You can't Instruct on a waiver etc, read the rest for details.

9th Aug 2009, 03:37
Sinky, perhaps you know, but you can actually validate your European license and fly on it over there. You don't have to do an FAA checkride. I'd say it's advisable though to take a flight or two with an instructor... things are done differently over here (ATC, airspaces etc.) :)

10th Aug 2009, 22:47
172, i've got my letter and appointment with the fsdo to get my temp airmans cert. i assume you mean if you could find a club that would believe you've got currency with say a c172 you wouldn't have to take a check ride?

i'm quiet happy at the prospect of having to do a couple of hrs with an instructor to learn the airspace and procedures but i dont want to get pumped for 10hrs instruction if i feel they are at it!!!!

11th Aug 2009, 01:48
Ok, that's what I meant. You have the Letter of Authenticity and just need to go to the FSDO and pick it up. Now you are legal to fly.

Then what the clubs say is a different story, they may require some sort of "check flight", but not a check ride with an FAA inspector. 10 hrs should not be necessary. Beware though some instructors are dishonest and try to make you fly more then necessary - just for the money. Say stop when you feel ready!

11th Aug 2009, 02:56
You have the Letter of Authenticity and just need to go to the FSDO and pick it up. Now you are legal to fly.

*"sciolist"... Noun, archaic. "a person who pretends to be knowledgeable and well informed".

11th Aug 2009, 03:52
Alright... what did I miss, you think? That you have to fill in an 8710 at the FSDO as well and they pass you when you get your name right?

11th Aug 2009, 15:15
What qualifications are required to do a JAA PPL checkride in the USA?