PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook Baggage

Vino Collapso
4th Aug 2009, 09:22
There we were happily loading up the suitcases ready for our Greek holiday when I check the tickets for the baggage allowance. 15 kgs!!

The missus is upset as she has had to off load half her clothing.

A quick internet search only shows Ryanair as having such a low hold baggage allowance most other IT similar to Thomas Cook Airlines allows 20kgs.

If I turn up at check in with an overweight bag what will happen?

Katamarino
4th Aug 2009, 10:02
This is the ultimate effect of all the European (I mean the region, not the organisation) gold-plating and bureaucracy. We pay more, get less (ie. your 15kg), and all the money vanishes into administration charges to pay armies of security, paper-pushers at CAAs, and the like :}

We need a revolution.

If you turn up overweight, they'll take your wallet out of your pocket and empty it for you.

Vino Collapso
4th Aug 2009, 10:09
Agreed.

Their website allows you to up your allowance provided you pay £35 per person. Then you get the extra 5kg that the other carriers permit.

Only the website will only let me do that for the return flight not the outbound.:*

raffele
4th Aug 2009, 11:17
It never fails to amuse me how an airline that predominantly runs charter flights for people going on holiday somehow decided that the X family, going on holiday for 2 weeks, doesn't actually need to take that much stuff with them afterall...

It's worse than you might think - do you know how much your suitcase weighs empty? I think the average value is 4kg... While everyone else can take between 16 and 19kg of stuff (for those airlines who still give you the full Health and Safety restricted 23kg allowance), TC decide that you only need to take 11kg...

Absolute madness.

Vino Collapso
4th Aug 2009, 11:57
I usually steer well clear of outfits such as Ryanair and the other LoCo.

As is normal for us this year we booked the flights through the company we book the accomodation with. They normally put us on a standard IT charter flights which have always been 20kg outfits. This year we end up with TC who appear to be taking a page out of Ryanairs operations manual. Do you want to guarantee the family have seats together? Well that will be another £23 per head each way in advance, or take pot luck at the check-in. Food, you want food? Book it in advance and it will cost £x. Hand luggage will be a maximum of 5kg.