PDA

View Full Version : Need Flying Job

dpatelus
3rd Aug 2009, 18:19
I have around 300 hrs FAA commercial pilot with instrument and multiengine. After spending all these money getting all these licenses, I still do not have flying job. I know I don’t have many hours, but I am single and willing to move anywhere in the world. Does anyone know any job opening that gives me little bit money and experience? As I said I don’t mind relocating.
FAA licenses and legal to work in USA

Thank you

antonov09
3rd Aug 2009, 18:35
Nows theres the million dollar question? You got faa or jaa licence?

Bruce Wayne
3rd Aug 2009, 20:04
And also your status as to which countries you have right to work in?

Andy05
5th Aug 2009, 09:00
I'm in the same situation as I have a CPL multi engine instrument rating and an a instructor rating, I live in Australia and looking for work, happy to relocate.

Good luck to all in the same position

Wavenn
5th Aug 2009, 10:28
Well they keep saying that we need to open our minds for relocations because there are plenty of jobs around the world.
I haven't found one yet and apparently I'm not the only one.

Welcome to the club :D

zedoscarro
5th Aug 2009, 16:00
Guys, we all need a job, we all are looking for a job. The majority wouldn't even mind to go to Antarctica if that meant not paying for flying.

Every time I got to pprune I keep seeing new posts about "I need a job". Lets talk less about desires and more about facts...

Pace152
5th Aug 2009, 18:48
Hey there,

I see from your location that you're in the States. If you have the right to work in the States it might be worth you getting in touch with your local Cessna or Piper dealership and seeing if they need any ferry pilots.

Might be worth a try :ok:

M14_P
6th Aug 2009, 05:37
As has been posted elsewhere, you guys need to 'dig in' to an area or region, where there is activity. It may mean that you don't have local knowledge or meet the requirements. However, you must network and dig in and focus on learning about, and getting to know as many people within the industry as pos. Listen to all that is said to you, and get a job, any income, within the aviation industry even better, to get by.

Where we live, in mountainous terrain, pilots who come here from flat regions have no chance getting work as the environment is very different. However, those that complete training in that region, whether it be local currency, instructors or other, you will put yourself in a great position.

I personally took a different route when I was younger and got a small bank loan which I paid off long ago - I own my own business and have done for 3 years. There is alot of opportunity for those keen to explore it.

One thing that I'd reccommend to all, is get a Cessna 206 rating if you don't already have one, not cheap in most places but they are so commonly used in GA these days that not to have one will give you very little chances. All other big engine CEssnas are similar so to have a 206 rating when you become qualified is a must.

good luck folks and hang in there.

M14_P
6th Aug 2009, 05:44
To anyone out there that has NOT started flight training or is in the very early stages, consider this.
Instead of spending thousands and thousands, look at buying a Cessa 150 or Tomahawk, but not before getting expert advice from a good engineer, and selecting and instructor (preferably an experienced one) and pay them an hourly (flying) rate. the Wet rates of flying some of these lower performing aircraft can be as much as half or even 2/3rds the cost of paying an hourly rate at an aeroclub or flying school.
This option won't enable you to do MEIR, but who the hell cares? You won't get work flying Twins in IMC to begin with anyway. Build up your hours in a cheap aircraft, even go halves with someone else in teh same position.

Even if you have your PPL, probably better actually, take this option and do it.
Once you have your CPL, go for a trip around the country and do as much knocking as possible. You'll be amazed how respected aircraft owners can be, especially if they are seen to take pride in their machine.
Don't forget, you can sell the aeroplane when you have finished with it and use that money to pay for your MEIR.

lebanese_pilot
6th Aug 2009, 09:36
am starting my cpl/ir training in october, but you are scaring me with your posts...... no jobs:confused::confused:

PappyJ
7th Aug 2009, 08:11
I've got some different thoughts on this. BelArgUSA is a well experienced chap with some good advise. But, there are exceptions.

In the USA or Europe, I would have to agree wholeheartedly with BelArgUSA, but there are opportunities in other places. You just have to be creative when you approach these companies.

I am aware two young, newly licensed, pilots who approached an Asian based airline with the following proposal just a few months ago:

"... We have licenses. You type us (similar to local cadet), and we'll fly for you for two years on local terms (Really low salary by Western Standards and no benifits)..".

The company bought in, and these two are now weathering the current storm whilst gaining the experience to move on later.

During the last decline in the industry (2001), I talked with a young man with some, but not much, operational experience who was boarding my flight and had done something very similar to the above. He's a current jet captain today, with full salary and perks, at that same company.

Many others are also being hired these days. But, most of them are of higher experience levels.

The point is this. It's not all "Gloom and Doom" out there. The are jobs to be had. It's just going to take some "out of the box" thinking to find them.

BelArgUSA. You and I have weathered these storms before (too many times) and came out reasonably well. I agree that we can't be too optimistic about the current conditions, but we owe it to these folks to offer at least a little encouragement. Certainly no offense intended. :O

YarreYarran
9th Aug 2009, 05:26
thanks 4 the info.

YarreYarran
9th Aug 2009, 05:34
@pappy j
Infact i am kinda encouraged by your thread...as personally i am from asia and know very well central Asia and South Asia and speaks near enough 5 languages that includes persian, urdu,arabic,pushto spoken in Afghanistan, Pakistan,Iran and central asian states of tajikistan etc...so i assume that if i go back there with my licenses i would have far better chance of getting job down there in these hard financial times.