PDA

View Full Version : Clearing US immigration at YYZ?

eastern wiseguy
3rd Aug 2009, 15:05
Folks

My aged parent (an Irish citizen) is travelling to the US in a few days time. She is travelling with Mrs EW (an American citizen). They are routing LHR-YYZ-CLE. Does anyone know if she will be able to clear immigration at YYZ? The websites I have looked at are less than clear.

Thanks all

EW

rog747
3rd Aug 2009, 15:16
no, you cannot clear US borders at YYZ for Irish citizens i am sure.

if you are in transit at YYZ which it appears you are, your bags will go thru to CLE, and you just go to transit lounge for your next flight to CLE if you have boarding cards for that sector, if you dont then you go to your airline's transit desk for your cards.

if you are not just in transit YYZ and stay more than xxhours then you must clear Canadian customs and get your bags.

if you were flying LHR-DUB-JFK (DUB in transit) for instance then you can clear US borders at DUB i understand...

ExXB
3rd Aug 2009, 16:08
All passengers joining flights to the US departing Toronto will clear US Border Controls before they board their flight. This includes Irish citizens.

If it is a direct connection (I'm assuming Air Canada) passengers can avoid clearing Canadian Customs and go directly to US Immigration. See aircanada.com - Travel Info - Toronto Airport (http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/yyz_intl_us.html)

eastern wiseguy
3rd Aug 2009, 16:27
ExXb...thats what I was looking for...Thank you...:ok:

manintheback
3rd Aug 2009, 20:24
Just to underline ExXb, i have done this exact process via YYZ. US immigration clearance is indeed at Pearson.

heidelberg
3rd Aug 2009, 21:17
Clearing US immigration at DUB is only available for certain flights just now. However in 2010 with the opening of the new Terminal 2, not alone will clearance be available for all flights to the USofA, but one will be able to clear US Customs and Agriculture as well. Your onward flight to the US will now be treated as a 'domestic' flight on arrival. This will afford all airlines using DUB to fly into 'cheaper' airports in the US. Perhaps this is what Ryanair is looking at just now?

rog747
4th Aug 2009, 07:28
thanx for updating me too
cheers