PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam Airlines off taxitrack at EHBK

Optimus-Prime
2nd Aug 2009, 14:51
This afternoon an Amsterdam Airlines A320 PH-AAY (sn 527), scheduled for a flight from Maastricht-Aachen (EHBK) to Ankara Esenboga (LTAC), ended up next to the taxiway while taxiing out to RWY 21, reporting "we lost the nosewheel steering".

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2078/vliegtuig20090802.jpg

tigger2k8
2nd Aug 2009, 14:55
did they lose it or was the bypass pin still installed?

edit: dont see any evidence of the red streamer, thx for the explaination below, not familur with that airport :ok:

Navigator33
2nd Aug 2009, 15:04
Bypass pin still installed is highly unlikely since pulling out of the stand and on to the taxiway at ehbk requires some turning.

bereboot
2nd Aug 2009, 15:35
taxiing being the most under-estimated part of the flight !:oh:

Lon More
2nd Aug 2009, 15:42
Looks like he was still on the apron

Avman
2nd Aug 2009, 16:05
Seems to be just past W3.
Disregard the above, it's actually on the turn at W1 (opposite the Cargo West apron). In another photo the taxiway looks very wet.

babemagnet
2nd Aug 2009, 16:44
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8377/phaay.jpghttp://img156.imageshack.us/i/phaay.jpg/better pictures here:

MST-Aviation.nl - Euregional Aviation Portal (http://www.mst-aviation.nl/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14506)

It was told here on the news they lost the nosewheel steering! not a pilot error.

vapilot2004
2nd Aug 2009, 18:17
BCSU fault is the likely cause.

RoyHudd
2nd Aug 2009, 21:04
That'll be BSCU then.

vapilot2004
2nd Aug 2009, 23:13
Brake and Steering Control Unit (computer). :ok:

Fatfish
3rd Aug 2009, 05:00
Computers,computers! Once Flying real aircraft was so much easier than flying computers these days. :confused:

4HolerPoler
3rd Aug 2009, 06:39
I lost braking as a new 320 captain years ago. Real scary. Pedals went to the floor. Had a switched-on F/O - he understood & jumped on his brakes. Nothing! IAC with the FCOM I had him turn the Nose-Wheel Steering & Brake switch (can't remember it's exact nomenclature) off - had my feet flat on the brakes (as we were not far from hitting an aircraft) and came to a sudden halt.

Got home and called an old skipper friend of mine and told him my scary story - he said "Oh yes, happened a number of times to me - you just recycle the BSCU switch."

This is a problem Airbus has been aware of for well over 12 years - can't believe that they haven't resolved it and regretful that it's still causing incidents like this - no pilot in his right mind would taxi into the rough - the aircraft let these guys down.

Jetjock330
3rd Aug 2009, 06:49
In accordance with the FCOM 3, supplementary techniques, the BSCU reset should only be done with the park brake set, as the nose wheel makes a full deflection to the stop during the reset. If this reset is done during taxi, you may well find yourself in the grass. The switch may be turned off, and alternate braking relied on without steering.

If this reset was done because of a nose wheel steering problem, it is "mandatory", according to the same chapter of FCOM 3, to be entered into the tech log and the aircraft returned to the stand.

I have no idea what happened in this case.

Airbusguy320
3rd Aug 2009, 09:17
But if you loose your normal braking system the procedure in the FCOM requests you to put the A/SKID en N/W STEERING OFF.

3rd Aug 2009, 15:39
Fatfish I hear you! The Fcom is about as useful as tits on a bull in circumstances like this. One can always read it after to find the gotcha that was'nt on the ECAM

sanddude
3rd Aug 2009, 22:38
Jet Jock 330, check your memory items:ok:

Jippie
3rd Aug 2009, 23:30
Interesting the BSCU stories.
Is there any risk that the BSCU fails during takeoff?
Loosing your steering and braking while making a high speed RTO?

Dani
4th Aug 2009, 00:45
This is a problem Airbus has been aware of for well over 12 years - can't believe that they haven't resolved it and regretful that it's still causing incidents like this

Also from a moderator I would expect that he admits that the facts are only known when we have an official report at hand.

And yes, it can happen. Although I have never experienced it. FCOM has a by-heart-item in place, that says "no brakes: pull the bypass switch". I guess your airline also has this item. It's only one of four in total, so it would be easy to know it.

Loss of brakes and/or stearing is possible on every aircraft. I wouldn't know of any where it's not. Just because there is an electronical controller for the system doesn't mean it's more dangerous.

Dani

dkz
4th Aug 2009, 07:18
Actually the new 320 have a different bscu unit, from msn 2900 all had the new unit in my previous company.

Dani
4th Aug 2009, 08:28
But the by-heart item remains valid.

Avman
7th Aug 2009, 17:39
Did some taxy runs this morning, then parked with no further activity around it. AOG since Sunday. That must hurt.

babemagnet
9th Aug 2009, 14:58
overheard some cabin crew talking about Amsterdam Airlines in the bus at AMS the other day complaining about that the A320 they have are very old, managment is bad and maintanance is poor. So stupid when people start complaining with more people around them.

Avman
9th Aug 2009, 16:48
The DC-3 I flew in in Canada last year was "very old". Amsterdam Airlines's A320s are 16 and 13 years old respectively. The older one (PH-AAX) started life with Dragonair in '93 and was with Mexicana before joining Amsterdam A/L. The other (PH-AAY), which had the problem at MST, started with SAETA in 1996 and was last with America West / US Airways.

Harry Burns
9th Aug 2009, 21:24
But the 16 year old A320 might have 40 000 hrs or cycles respectivly. The DC-3 might not have that much.

Avman
10th Aug 2009, 07:32
But the 16 year old A320 might have 40 000 hrs or cycles respectivly. The DC-3 might not have that much.

:ok: Very true, of course.

wings1011
12th Aug 2009, 01:29
The rumour says that they found the main gears serviced much to high on the c-check before delivery to amsterdam airlines, this with an faulty gnd/flt sensor caused the aircraft while turning on gnd to become "airborne" and cut out the nosewheel steering.
Seems like a probable cause to me.
I guess the official report will tell more

Regards

Wings 1011

Robert Campbell
12th Aug 2009, 02:04
I flew Dc-3s with over 70,000hrs on them. They were well maintained, and we had few problems except that the company always tried to overload us.

There were clues that we looked for on walkaround after the freight was loaded. We looked at the main gear struts. they said a lot about gross weight.

If we couldn't get a fist between the tailwheel and the fuselage, we knew we were too heavy aft, if not overweight. And, finally, on takeoff, if the tail didn't lift by 60 kts., we aborted.

Flying an aft loaded DC-3 for several hours is no fun. It can't be trimmed. It's a constant fight to stay within 200 or 300 ft. of assigned altitude, and the landing has to be handled very carefully or the airplane will start hopping until it stalls and rolls unless power is added and a go around initiated for another try.

Most people don't realize that the 3 has a swept wing. She's very docile until she's not.

________

I would think that a crew rated in an A320 might notice that the struts were over inflated, and that that fact might fool the beast into thinking it was airborne. squat switches only work when something is squating on them:ugh:

SOPS
12th Aug 2009, 06:26
70000 hours?!?...and that is just DC3s? Have you ever slept/eaten/done something else other than been airborne in a DC3?

ZuluKilo66
12th Aug 2009, 08:57
SOPS, I think you'll find our friend means that the a/c had done 70k, not him personally.

SOPS
12th Aug 2009, 09:17
Ahhh..I see...its all about how you read the sentence.:ok:

Dysag
12th Aug 2009, 11:07
"You are hereby sentenced to spend the rest of your days behind the locked doors of an airborne DC-3".