PDA

View Full Version : Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth victim of social prejudice. ?

Tappers Dad
1st Aug 2009, 18:51
Bob in his own words
I'm such a victim, people attack me over my accent, my moustache...and because I'm no intellectual, moans Defence Secretary | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203382/Im-victim-people-attack-accent-moustache--Im-intellectual-moans-Defence-Secretary.html)

His extraordinary comments came during a candid interview in which he also admitted that Labour had not done enough to support the Armed Forces during the beginning of the Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts.

Mr Ainsworth said: 'I speak with a Midlands accent. I drop my aitches. I suffer with an asthmatic-related condition that means I speak with a gravelly voice. I have a moustache that some people appear to take offence to. I don't know what motivates these people.'
Asked if he was qualified to run the MoD, he said: 'I have strengths and I have weaknesses. I don't pretend to be able to write a great thesis or doctorate - I have no pretensions in that direction.

DISCUSS

I have my own thoughts but I best keep those to myself for now.

Sun Who
1st Aug 2009, 19:02
I've posted on this before...

In a previous life, I met the man and was on the crew that took him flying in an RAF aircraft as part of the briefing process for him becoming Minister for the Armed Forces.

He is an intellectual pygmy with no knowledge of, interest in, or capacity to understand, HM Armed Forces.

Sun.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Aug 2009, 19:34
He probably can't do much worse than the stream of intellectual "giants" we've had over at least the past ten years.

Vasco Sodcat
1st Aug 2009, 20:29
Does the intellectual pygmy's ability to self-assess earn him a point or two?

nigegilb
1st Aug 2009, 20:59
If its commie Bob we are talking about, the man who likes to say 'ellicopters in the 'ouse of Commons, then it must be appropriate to turn to this article from Andrew Roberts;
It would be better for our boys if Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth stayed on holiday
By ANDREW ROBERTS
Last updated at 3:16 AM on 30th July 2009

Rarely can a Cabinet Minister have proved himself so unworthy of office so quickly as the new Defence Secretary, Bob Ainsworth.
He took over only on June 5, but already it is clear that his penny pinching disdain for British forces in Afghanistan has had a devastating effect on morale.
Even in the midst of Operation Panther’s Claw in Afghanistan, which finished this week with countless British casualties, the minister who famously said he was ‘busting a gut’ to help soldiers in Helmand province has been undermining them back
home.

This is a Defence Secretary who has proved mouse-like in Cabinet when he should have been roaring, failed to get the right armoured cars for our forces, proved incapable of deploying sufficient helicopters and offered Army chiefs only 700 reinforcements when they desperately need 2,000.
Now he is committing the ultimate obscenity of taking court action against badly wounded British servicemen to try to limit their compensation payments for
injuries sustained on active service.
Not since the Crimean War have we seen the sheer raw courage of our troops in battle stand in such stark contrast to the incompetence and heartlessness of the pen-pushers back home.

Bob Ainsworth’s response to the national outrage as he tries to cut compensation
payments for the wounded?
To go off on holiday. Only now because of the fury aroused back home by his actions has he been shamed into returning.
The fact is that Bob Ainsworth, like so many Labour ministers, treats our Armed Forces with contempt. Though happy to send soldiers to war, Labour consistently refuses to fund them properly. It was inevitable that failings of quality and quantity of equipment would one day make themselves felt.
General Lord Guthrie, a former Chief of Defence Staff, recently said Ainsworth and his colleagues only wanted to spend ‘the minimum they can get away with’.
He talked of ‘real anger at every level in the Army today that all the repeated warnings
have been ignored and we are now suffering the consequences on the battlefield.’
These consequences are plain for all to see in the saddened crowds lining the streets of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire where thousands regularly turn out to honour the fallen of Afghanistan whose coffins pass by on their way home.
Quite why anyone thought Bob Ainsworth would make a good Secretary for Defence is anyone’s guess. A sheet metal worker and shop steward at Jaguar in the 70s and 80s, he flirted with Marxism before becoming a city councillor in Coventry in the 80s and 90s.
Later he became a Government whip where he won a reputation as a bully. The ultimate loyalist, he was appointed after Blairite minister John Hutton resigned
before Gordon Brown’s panicked reshuffle earlier this year.
Brown’s henchmen put it about that he was the choice of the chiefs of staff in the Ministry of Defence – a story which was shattered when an Army commander revealed that chiefs think he is ‘simply not up to it’.
The simple fact is that penny-pinching won’t do. In these recessionary times, we
need to spend more on defence, not less.
A paper I have co-written for the United Kingdom National Defence Association warns that defence funding should be threat-driven, not budget-driven.
It points out that Britain is at greatest risk when it is financially weakest, and recessionary pressures worldwide are increasing instability in unstable regions.
Current and possible future threats to national security are large and growing, and the sums required to strengthen Britain’s military capability are both affordable in the national context and represent excellent value-for-money.
If he were worth his salt, Bob Ainsworth would recognise this and fight for more funds, rather than trying to reduce them.
He should be championing the cause of the forces, rather than undermining them then trying to cower from the flak on holiday. And if, as many people believe, he simply isn’t up to the task, he should go back on holiday.

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2009, 21:33
Nige - Ainsworth is as loyal a party man as Brown could find under the circumstances and was clearly given the job (which used to be one of the "great offices of state") on the basis that he would not rock the boat, make "unrealistic" demands or otherwise listen to the guys/gals in uniform.

Brown too knows that Ainsworth is cranialy-limited, and that he can steam-roller him in an inkling and has, no doubt, promised him a seat in the Lords after the next election.

The fact that Brown thought Ainsworth was a suitable man for the role confirms to us all what we already knew about Brown.

chiglet
2nd Aug 2009, 00:13
The fact that Brown thought Ainsworth was a suitable man for the role confirms to us all what we already knew about Brown.

Should that not read......

The fact that Brown thought Brown was a suitable man for the role confirms to us all what we already knew about Brown. :mad:

Surrey Towers
2nd Aug 2009, 07:40
What is really worrying is that the man seems to have little direction. His decisions seem to be those of a second rate politician, not a minister whose job in life is to look after our troops and ensure they have all the equipment they need.

Who cares if he drops his aitches and has a tash and is intellectually challenged. What is important that he recognises his role as Def Sec. I don't think he does. It's beyond him and Brown knows that, the schemer that he is.

Be that as it may. Everyone, except the defence chiefs, prevaricate and dodge the issues of equipment needs as though they were talking about chicken coop. That they are dodging the safety, duty and care of the guys in theatre is tantamount to premeditated murder. That they can do that shows how much they care.

Bob Ainsworth is my view a victim of an outrageous PM who couldn't care less about our troops.

Jimlad1
2nd Aug 2009, 09:10
Nige

Much as I agree with what you write, slagging the guy off for going on holiday is a bit harsh. Its August, the majority of HM Forces that are not deployed are on leave, and a walk round the 5th floor right now (Ministers and Chiefs area), shows plenty of tumbleweed blowing around.

He's not the only senior figure, uniformed or otherwise to take a week off!

Biggus
2nd Aug 2009, 10:21
I'm not a big fan of the guy, but to be fair in the article he says that the Defence budget hasn't increased as quickly as others, which is probably as close as he feels able to say openly that the Defence budget isn't big enough.

He also says that whichever party gets in power needs to give defence a higher priority in the next 4 or 5 years, for which you can also read that he is saying defence needs a bigger budget!

Ignoring all the bits about his accent and the like, he has said more, albeit not in words of one syllable, than many Defence Secretaries have.

nigegilb
2nd Aug 2009, 10:55
JimLad, wasn't slagging off commie Bob for going on 'oliday, (Baltic resort?), merely agreeing that it would be better for everyone if he stayed away on holiday indefinitely. But then I saw his sidekick Defence Minister being interviewed today and realised there are worse ministers out there.

If this is a sign that walt communist Ainsworth is becoming more 'onest then I genuinely welcome 'is comments. Can we have some 'onesty about the underfunding in the harmed forces now please Bob? (Just for the record, I quite like your bushy moustache).

Gainesy
2nd Aug 2009, 12:20
The only defence role in which I can envisage him being of any use whatsoever, is for bayonet practice.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Aug 2009, 21:46
Who cares if he drops his aitches and has a tash

I agree with Surrey Towers

I think the only thing Bob Ainsworth has a genuine beef about is the moustache thing. The media have an obsession with appearance and can seriously damage politicians'(and others') careers with stupid criticisms like that. Eg, after the William Haig baseball cap thing, no politician will ever dare wear a hat again even if it's 20 below or chucking it down with rain.

Personally I dont care if the Defence Secretary has a moustache, mutton-chop whiskers and a beard you can hide a badger in, as long as he has the guts and integrity to stand up for the military. I'm afraid in this area, and not the fact that he has a moustache, Bob fails to make the grade by a mile.

racedo
2nd Aug 2009, 23:20
Bob is classic example of Peter Principle, promoted above his own level of incompetence.

Avitor
2nd Aug 2009, 23:28
Gordon Brown is not open to questions. Result!....Bob. :ok:

A2QFI
3rd Aug 2009, 09:49
I don't think anyone should be predjudiced against his appearance and diction but they are entitled to dislike the fact that he appears to be ineffective in his post and is clearly a Brown 'Yes Man', which isn't what our forces need.

Utrinque Apparatus
3rd Aug 2009, 09:58
Ainsworth does need a bigger moustache though, however there is no link between the size of the moustache and testicles despite the common belief of the booties :}

Ainsworth is an old school cloth capped moron, and his appointment is a clear indication of the contempt Brown has for the Armed Forces. It must be difficult for the poor left wing souls to reconcile their adolescent CND / Card Carrying hatred for the Forces with his new role, hence the fit of pique ? Despicable little man, with no clue about the impact this Government's incompetence and high handedness has on morale