PDA

View Full Version : computer log book

blueskiesup
1st Aug 2009, 09:02
Is there anyone out there who uses a computer based log book?. I've seen the software being advertised for around £60.00, just wondering how many have bought it and if it's any good?.

alkor
1st Aug 2009, 09:08
safelog---dauntless software...

satisified, costs as you mentioned ...free upgrades for 3 years...

Bye

farmer jo
1st Aug 2009, 11:40
I use Flightlog, very pleased with it and you can try it for free before buying !
Cost now is 70 euro.
here's the link mjnSoft - Products - FlightLog (http://www.mjnsoft.de/productsFlightLogInfoEn.html) Have alook !!
:ok:
FJ

bfisk
2nd Aug 2009, 13:40
I want to go electronic and here's why: when I did my integrated training, I did so in the US, doing both FAA and JAA at the same time. So how does that work out? Instructors both FAA and JAA qualified, as were the airplanes and there were two different training organisations. One training manual for the JAR part and then part 61 training for the FAA part.

Most flights would be combined FAA and JAA, some would be FAA only (ie not part of the TM). Other problems: after obtaining the FAA PPL, FAA allows time spent under dual training to be logged as PIC when "exercising the duties of pilot in command". So that would be PIC under FAA but not under JAA. Furthermore two separate logbooks were kept as the FAA logbook was not acceptable to the JAA and vice versa.

So I made a neat little excel spreadsheet and combined everything into one logbook, with columns according to the JAA standard logbook format, with extra columns for the FAA specials (such as cross-country time, solo, actual/simulated instrument and no of instrument approaches). On the other hand JAA requires columns to describe block-off and block-on, PIC name, as well as IFR time. It also requires columns for single-pilot operation and multipilot ops, and the simulator logging is a little different. I also made a separate column for "FAA only PIC", as well as a column for flight jurisdiction, ie under FAA, JAA, or both. If you want to do it this way be sure to add an index numbering column (you can keep this hidden for the prints), this way it's easy to resort the entries to their original order if you've sorted them by ie type or registration, for the totals.

With the "show/hide columns" function in excel it's easy to print and design the logbook for whatever purpose you may use it for, ie JAA standard or FAA, or your own combination.

I don't really know if this is acceptable to any authority, but it allows me to keep accurate track of my flight time and quite frankly I find it a lot easier to work with than the paper logbooks (which I also keep). I could post it here if anyone's interested.

Max Payne
2nd Aug 2009, 18:09
If you have a Mac, try "Logten Pro (http://coradine.com/logten-pro/)". I recently moved there from Safelog and am very pleased - much more than with Safelog. Biggest advantage is the vast number of print templates.

refplus20
3rd Aug 2009, 18:19
One more for you try - Skylog Pro. About £60.

Skylog - The Pilot's Logbook for Windows (http://www.skylogservices.co.uk/index.htm)

Ref...

Capt Dry Tanks
15th Aug 2009, 21:10
Save your cash and make your own! I use a Excel spreadsheet that I made myself.

long final
16th Aug 2009, 09:38
Ditto. Works perfectly well at no cost.

pilotbear
16th Aug 2009, 10:23
I have used Skylog pro for about five years, very good. Any analysis is possible very easily.

Tinstaafl
17th Aug 2009, 00:06
bfisk, that would be great if you could post a link or email your spreadsheet. You're not the only one with multiple licences from regions with different logging requirements. I've hummed & ha-ed for years about an electronic log book. It's a lot of mucking around to design one that meets all criteria.

S-Works
17th Aug 2009, 08:22
I have just started to use Log Ten Pro and am quite impressed. I also have the iPhone version which syncs with the desktop client to keep everything together. I have to keep JAA, FAA and Canadian records and this software allows you to create templates to suit as well as having a load of standard ones.

Apparently they are working on support for GPS logbook imports as well which could be handy.

Albus_Dumbledore
19th Aug 2009, 09:53
If you've got a Mac, then definately Log Ten Pro....it's magic! :ok::}