PDA

View Full Version : Working the desk to get a flying job

sebastian_454
31st Jul 2009, 14:07
Hi all,

While in school, I have been working part time at a regional airline running small turbo props.
I am now done school and have my ratings. At the same time, the part time job is about to expire.

The company will be hiring pilots in the near future 3 - months or so. I have a chance to get on.

I was wondering if it is better to try and obtain full time job in ops at the company for now, in hopes of getting hired.

Or: Leave the said company and pursue flight instruction to start building hours.

Or: Work at said company as well as try to instruct part time?

Thanks for your help!

Iamsosmrt
11th Aug 2009, 06:31
No operations manager worth working for will hire a pilot knowing that they are going to waste time to train you and then you will leave as soon as you find a flying job. If they do hire you, knowing you are a pilot actively looking for a flying job, then they have a hidden agenda that is not in your best intrest. Most Ops departments will disqualify all pilots right from the start. And in this climate, 75% of applications for ops jobs are out of work pilots.

antonov09
11th Aug 2009, 16:23
Stay in with airline( for at least 6 months) and apply when the time comes. If after 6 to 7 months theres nothing doing then go and get flight Instructor rating.

Vanpilot
11th Aug 2009, 17:46
You have to keep flying ...very important to try and stay up in the air some how. People won't like to look at a logg book with no recent flights in it.
Ops is a great place to make contacts, and that s is the hardest thing to get in this industry. Its the only thing you can't buy at at a flight school. Mind you .... I bet they sell those at Oxford too.....:}

We have Ops staff that are young guys wanting to fly and they instruct on their days off, so I don't see why you cant do both. Do it all....fly Ops clean planes sweep the tower floor......what ever it takes to get your foot on the ladder. But don't throw loads of cash at it....use your head.

Regards Pilots as Ops staff....I find that they make the transition to the cockpit of a larger aircraft better than those who have no idea what Ops staff do. They understand the flight plans, they know the routes, they know the guy in eurocontrol by his first name, just think they are that bit better prepared for the cockpit.
SO I'd give the thumbs up for Pilots in the ops room :ok:

lilflyboy262
18th Aug 2009, 07:58
And what is the name of this said company? ;)

Requirements for application?

Ascot
18th Aug 2009, 10:18
stay with ops, trust me.. .keep current with the flying.
also, go see the chief pilot and let him know you are interested...
usually, they will also put internal applications above external.
good luck