PDA

View Full Version : Hip problems

Charlie Foxtrot India
30th Jul 2009, 13:46
I've had a "snapping" hip for some years now. I have a leg length discrepancy and crooked tibia from an injury 30 years ago which have contributed to poor gait and have prescription orthotics to correct that as far as possible (a leg re-break has been considered and decided against).

I keep fit and active, try to do at least an hour a day of either swimming, cycling, rowing machine or karate. I find walking painful so minimise that as much as possible. If I don't keep a high level of activity up my right leg gets very weak very quickly and I stack on the kilos especially since quitting smoking a year ago!

A month ago I had a cortisone injection into the trochanteric bursa area which worked wonders when I had some competitive stuff coming up. That wore off after a couple of weeks and I've been having physio with short tem success but today had a series of hip snaps that literally took my breath away after a puncture on my bike this morning meant I had to walk about 3km to get home. Physio has referred me to a sports physician next week and thinks we might be dealing with a labral tear as work on the ITB and TFL doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Anyone else had experience of a snapping hip and/or labral tear? As a self employed instructor I dread having to take time off work to have surgery and was wondering what sort of recovery times we are looking at if it comes to this.

gingernut
30th Jul 2009, 20:44
I'm sorry, don't know much about it, in fact I've never heard of a snapping hip......looked at the font of most knowledge and found this.... snapping hip sign - General Practice Notebook (http://gpnotebook.com/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20071207215955672570)

In GP land, we used to try our upmost to prevent surgical intervention for some orthopaedic problems, (unless "barn door")-as the long term results weren't always proven. The technology is now improving, but I'd hazard a guess that surgery probably isn't the best option at this stage. The jabs tend to work initially, but in my experience, tend to be less effective, the more they are used.

The usual interventions included weight loss, exercise, nsaid's, physio etc.

It sounds like you're doing your bit though. Interesting to hear about the "competitive stuff."

You don't mention your age, but could it be time to listen to your body, sell the karate gear and purchase some golf clubs?

Less impact, more fluidity?

Charlie Foxtrot India
31st Jul 2009, 15:12
Hi Gingernut

Definately not! My idea of hell is an endless golf course!!

UL730
7th Aug 2009, 12:17
Detecting a labral tear is normally done by fluoroscopic arthrography. It is not always conclusive.

Arthroscopy and labrectomy is the next stage and top man in the field is Richard Villar.

Couple of weeks for general mobility and I would speculate - several weeks before a full tobegerri on a stude PPL.

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Aug 2009, 15:30
Thanks UL730, the sports physician has referred me for MRI and arthrogram which I'm doing next week.

Gingernut, I'm 46, been doing karate for 30 years and don't intend to put the Gi on Ebay just yet! Never liked sparring so avoid that, at my age it's about focus and technique rather than speed and power, no contact stuff. The best thing I know for for anger management, stretching and flexibility and forces me to use both legs equally which I don't otherwise.

Walking (and stairs) is pretty painful so don't think I'd get very far on a golf course! I'd need one of those little car things, which seems like cheating to me :)

gingernut
8th Aug 2009, 11:23
fair enough, I have little expertise in orthopaedics or karate.

Let us know how you get on.:)

rosemary44
11th Aug 2009, 07:36
It happens to all ladies and at the time of periods we can bare the pain it gives so much of pain,,,, we cant take even any pain killers too,,,,

Drug rehab (http://www.soberrecovery.com)