PDA

View Full Version : Where you there?

oli,_the_original
30th Jul 2009, 12:50
So, as the title says, were you there? There being Gutersloh between late '55 until '59?

My Grandad was there late '55/early '56 until sometime in '59, in the MT division, and was wondering if anyone had stories/photos of the time? I am planning on putting a CD together for him of any bits i can find as ever since i decided i wanted to join the RAF, he has started talking quite a bit about his time there.

There is one photo that I am very keen to try and track down if there is one about, and any information if anyone knows, is apparently someone tried to steal a plane one night as they'd had enough of Germany. Anyway, they got it started, but dropped it off the taxiway as it was dark, and the nosewheel dug in and hence that was the end of that, and my Grandad had to take the crane out the next day and lift it back onto the taxiway?

There is also a story of using the blast pens as a wall of death on the motorbikes, and someone from the MT going too high to get off the wall before the opening, and so went flying off the top and blowing both tyres of the motorbike out:E

Any info would be greatly received:ok:

Oli

BelArgUSA
30th Jul 2009, 13:23
Where...?
Were...?
Wear...
Ware...
xxx
Today's English language lesson for me...
It is 17 years in Argentina, for me.
Starting to forget a lot. Help me.
And... How is "greatly recive" -
:E
Happy contrails

diginagain
30th Jul 2009, 13:25
Oli, the story you're looking for, regarding the attempted theft, is in the History & Nostagia board entitled 'The Night 57 Squadron lost a Canberra'.

oli,_the_original
30th Jul 2009, 14:02
Where...?
Were...?
Wear...
Ware...
xxx
Today's English language lesson for me...
It is 17 years in Argentina, for me.
Starting to forget a lot. Help me.
And... How is "greatly recive" -
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Happy contrails

Oh dear:ugh: Now amended, cheers mate:}

Oli, the story you're looking for, regarding the attempted theft, is in the History & Nostagia board entitled 'The Night 57 Squadron lost a Canberra'.

Just the job! Cheers, making my way through it now:ok:

Oli